City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 14s
Overall Rank = 121/366
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 16/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45am, had usual pre-race meal of oatmeal, coffee and water. Sipped on a Gatorade on the drive over to the race site and during transition set-up. We did have some excitement as we were loading the bikes in the truck, Kari noticed that her front wheel was flat (again), so we changed the tire and then left about 5 minutes later than planned.
Event warmup:

Set-up transition, talked with friends (Kat-Katzchen55, Jamie-jpb009, Briana-Bar92), and others from the Tri-world. Then Kari and I ran on the damn for about 10 minutes before getting our swim stuff and heading to the swim start. I did a quick 100 meter swim before I lined up for wave #4.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 555 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I self-seeded myself in the front and to the right near the buoy line for the deep water start. I expected the guy next to me to be fast and straight and had plans to jump behind him and ride his feet. Unfortunately, the guy behind him had the same plan. I spent the first 250 meters trying to find some feet to get behind but I couldn't knock the guy off the lead guy's feet and so we swam next to each other to the turn buoy. Getting through the waves ahead of us was tough, especially with all the breast strokers. I got kicked a few times but I was moving fast enough to only take one blow. The last 250 meters I kept trying to move closer to the lead swimmer but he took a path around a slower group and I had to go the other way. I ran into some traffic and fell behind until the last 50 meters when I got some clear water and was able to close the gap. I finished the swim tied for 2nd and about 14 seconds behind my rabbit.
What would you do differently?:

More aggressive on fighting for the lead guys feet:) This was about as good a swim as I could do on this course considering the timing mat is about 25 yards on shore after a good 15-20 feet of shallow water running (on rocks).
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I was across the timing mat quick to try and beat another racer for 2nd place but then had to walk when I started to cough. I must have swallowed a bit of water down my wind pipe cause it hurt. It only lasted a few seconds and I was to my bike quickly. Glasses on, helmet on, bike off the rack, run to the mount line, ugly speed mount with the shoes on peddles and I was off.

Run the whole way.
Bike
  • 41m 44s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I was on my bike quickly and able to get into my shoes before the first turn and then I dropped into aero and tried to find my legs on the nice downhill at the start. The road is rough on the uphill part and I knew to take it easy as I spun up that first incline. Nobody past me here so my strategy must have worked. Once I crested the hill, I started to push a higher gear getting my legs warmed up for the turn and the following little uphill, the next section is rough as well but I knew to stay to the inside of the lane and just grind. I past 3-4 people on this section and even saw James Bonney coming back the other way after dropping out of the race after he took a wrong turn. I took the corner at Cele Rd and Cameron at 25mph and felt great going up the rough but short first rolling hill. Down the backside, then up the next a little slower, then I started to pass a few people as the road leveled out. Once we turned onto Cameron heading west, I started to get passed by people in my age group. This section is my worst as it's a false flat and we had a bit of head wind. Nothing bad but I am not a small target and even in aero I pose more of a drag than those little bitty knats that ride in my AG. I struggled on Cameron and Pecan as about 5-6 riders passed me. Then we turned on the frontage road of 130 and I thought I would gain it all back on the slightly downhill and typical tailwind section. Nope, headwind again, so I was working too hard to stay at 20mph and noticed that I dropped down to 18-19mph. I didn't get passed on this section, but I didn't pass anyone either. The turn onto Pfluger Lane was better than I expected and I was able to pick-up my pace and cruise back into the transition area at around 22mph. The spectators were great along this road, it felt like the Tour de France! I wasn't able to do a speed dismount coming into transition (hip issues-more on that later) but I did a quick pull to the line and was off the bike and running without more than a second of stopping.

The Wednesday Lunch time hammer fest ride at work is helping but I haven't been doing it long enough to build my threshold higher yet. I will keep doing this ride weekly, even though it hurts like hell.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I was into transition and to my rack with some speed (for me). Bike racked, helmet off, shoes (no socks) on, picked up my race belt and hat and took off out of transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 31m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of transition putting on my race number belt and hat and was able to grab a cup of water, drink a sip, then pour the rest on my head. It felt good since it had started to warm-up. The wind was blowing, slightly from the west and it felt good the first part of this run. I was able to stay nice and comfortable and managed to get into a nice pace going across the Damn. After about a half mile my left hip started to tighten. I have had chronic problems with this hip (muscular) and have decided it's time to treat it aggressively since I am just having fun this year. Anyway, I ran 4 minutes, walked 1 minute the rest of the way as a couple hundred people passed me on the run. I did, however, pass a group of Jack and Adams people that started 3 waves ahead of me.

Run faster, get my hip fixed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for friends that finished, grabbed a wet towel, some water and a Popsicle, then headed down to the finish line (that I helped build the day before) and cheered people to the finish. I saw Kari coming around the corner with her flower hat and got right on the course to give her a high five and yell. Then we met behind the finish line and walked around together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip, running, lack of training consistency/ intensity since IMAZ in April.

Event comments:

This is the second year for the LPT and it showed improvement, even after a first year success. Home Depot donated some outdoor green carpet to line the swim exit from the lake to the transition area and it made a difference. The event ran on time, wasn't crowed and was well marked (even though I could do the course with my eyes closed), and had good post race stuff. The ONLY complaint I have is no race medal. I could do without the t-shirt but for some reason I am stuck on wanting a race medal. I will definitely do this race every year since it's basically in my backyard and my training area.

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 555 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 26/366
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot
Course: 2 sided triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:44 | 14 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 69/366
Wind: Little
Course: 1 Loop with some rolling and false flat sections
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:03 | 03.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/32
Overall: 280/366
Performance: Below average
Course: 1x 3 mile loop on crushed granite around the Lake with no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2008-06-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1482853

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Great job out there mike , solid swim, bike, transitions. Sorry to hear about the hip issues. You were looking solid when i passed by you on the run course. Agree about the race, its alot of fun and was on time. Nice seeing you and kari again
2008-06-23 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
It was nice meeting you and Kari at the race. Thanks for helping to set up the day before. Sorry to hear about your hip issues, but hopefully you can get those resolved. Good job with the race!
2008-06-23 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Solid race. I wish I could swim like you. Sorry to read about the hip trouble. It's frustrating to have something like that happen at the end of a good race.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I was pretty whipped when I finished, so as soon as they opened transition, I left.
2008-06-23 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job on your race despite the hip issue. Fast swim as usual, too bad you have to give back all that lead during the run. I spend half my race catching the fast swimmers like you.

Sounds like a fun morning.

See you at a venue in the future.

p.s. They typically give the medals to the top 3 fastest times in the AG.
2008-06-23 3:20 PM

User image

Incredible job, Mikey. You are such a good athlete. The run will get there, now go see Kelly at RRHW and get on the mend with that hip!

2008-06-24 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Ah, so that is what it's like to be FOP in the swim!  Great race, Mike!  Take care of that hip.
2008-06-24 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
solid race and i like your run comment "get hip fixed". any triathlete that claims they dont have any discomforts or ailments is a LIAR!!!!!!!!! great swim leg!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed