General Discussion Race Reports! » Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pittsgrove, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 27s
Overall Rank = 232/235
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up before the alarm went off at 5am. Got dressed. Went over my lists a couple more times and then loaded the car with everything. I actually got a later start than I planned. I stopped for some juice and breakfast. When I arrived at the transition area to set up, I was really overwhelmed. It looked like there was nowhere to set up, but I found a good spot. My trainer found me in a few and that was it, I cried.
Event warmup:

It was almost time for the pre-race meeting when I went down for a short swim. The water was cooler than last week -- a good thing. Lots seaweed type stuff -- not so good. But I felt strong in my swim -- only about 5 minutes because the race meeting was starting.
Swim
  • 13m 50s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt long. The algae/seaweed kept getting on my face and sometimes around my mouth and around my arms. It was hard to ignore, but I kept swimming. A few people swam over me. I felt like I got off course a couple of times. It was still my best time. I saw a lot of people standing up around me, but I kept swimming until I felt the algae on the bottom. I think the short arms were an advantage. By the time I stood up the water was only knee deep. I had more energy coming out than I expected. Mike said I ran up to the transition area. I didn't realize it.
What would you do differently?:

I thought the swim went really well, considering how overwhelmed I was when I saw the buoys. It looked much farther than the 1/4 mile I'd been swimming in the pool. Also it was my first open water swim. Maybe I would trust myself more and swim more and check the buoys less.
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

No wetsuit. Someone else had a pan of water they'd already used. I ran through it to get the sand off. Decided against socks at the last minute. Too hard to put on wet feet. That saved a little time. I already had my gels in the pocket of my jersey. I'm not sure I'll ever be coordinated enough to jump on the bike while running.

Remember my towel for set up and my own pan of water. I'm not really sure how to rate these since they're my first time.
Bike
  • 56m 5s
  • 12 miles
  • 12.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were good, but my hands get really tired -- not my arms, just my hands. Sometimes I was really slow -- 9mph a couple of times. I was riding hard, but I still couldn't get my speed up. I tried shifting gears, but it didn't always have the effect I wanted. It was easier, but not faster. The head wind during some parts made the ride pretty challenging. I was out there by myself though. No worries about drafting!

I think I did the best I could. I'm still learning how to use the gears to maximize my effort. I also want to learn how to drink and ride. Have to stop to drink.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I was a little confused about where to dismount. Went without the socks with the running shoes. I'm not up to jumping off the moving bike yet. I'll have to work up to that -- not really sure I'll ever get that coordinated though.

Go with socks; take 2 minutes and hit the restroom.
Run
  • 53m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 17m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, actually I walked most of the time. I think I could have jogged more if I had taken a pit stop at T2. It was still a personal best time (or close to it) though.

Wear socks, or use the body glide on my ankles. Got some blisters.
Post race
Warm down:

Cried at the finish. Just so overwhelmed by it -- and so thrilled! Hung out with my friends who came to support me. They are awesome!! Couldn't eat. Actually couldn't eat much for a long time after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first tri; no matter how prepared I thought I was, inexperience was a limiting factor. I'll get faster as I continue to train and take some weight off. I'll also work on transitions, even to just make myself more comfortable during the transition.

Event comments:

Parvin State Park was the right size race for me. Laid back and everyone was so friendly and encouraging. I went to the Philly tri this weekend, too. Exciting, but glad I was just a spectator at it -- this time.

Last updated: 2008-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:50 | 440 yards | 03m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 223/235
Performance: Good
Suit: sports bra and tri-shorts
Course: Lake. Somebody said it was "cedar water." There was a lot of algae/seaweed.It kept getting on my face and sometimes around my mouth and around my arms. It was hard to ignore, but I kept swimming. A few people swam over me. I felt like I got off course a couple of times.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:05 | 12 miles | 12.84 mile/hr
Overall: 215/235
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: They said flat course, but there were long, gradual grades. The down side on those grades were great though. I got up to 20mph for a while (a first for me).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:14 | 03.11 miles | 17m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 232/235
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly shaded. Part trail, part asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 3:55 PM

Subject: Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-24 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1484325

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon
Awesome job at your 1st Tri and love the spirit of not racing Philly - Yet!
2008-06-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1488027

Subject: RE: Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon
Thanks! Wow, I'm so excited someone read my race report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parvin State Park Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed