General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-07-13 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1495973

User image

Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
Hello Everyone,

I participated in the Life Time Fitness Triathlon this weekend as a USAT Certified Official. It was a nice morning and the people at the event were great. I spent a good portion of the morning moving up and down the transition area (mainly in the 401 - 850 numbered sections). Most of the time I was looking for racking errors and missing bar end plugs. I thought I would post some of the things I found.

Missing Bar End Plugs: This is a safety hazard for bikers. Everyone should be checking for this before you leave home. Most race directors, like myself, will have a box full of them. Fortunately, Erik's Bike Shop was giving some out to the volunteers.

Racking Bikes Incorrectly on the Bike Corrals: I found that many participants did not know how to legally rack their bikes on the corrals. This is a simple fix during pre-race, but can cost you a penalty once the race begins. Rule of thumb is that your belongings/towel etc should be next to your bike wheel that is touching the ground. You should alternate the direction you hang your bike based on the bike that is next to you. Does not matter if you are a seat hanger or a handle bar hanger as long as you have your things by the wheel touching the ground.

Helmet Check: We spent time looking for the CPSC label on Aero Helmets. There are some unauthorized helmets out there.

Missing Bike Numbers: All bikes must have a bike number.

Extra Stuff: I saw some people who brought way too many personal items into the transition area. I even saw someone who had two bikes in the transition area??? Confusing there.

These were all pretty fixable situations.

So the race began and I was off to meet up with my BMW Motorcycle Driver to prep for the bike portion of the event. We waited for the groups of bikes to begin coming out on the course. One by one, all 16 of us (officials) motored out onto the beautiful and technical bike course. As we moved along the race course past participants we began to see clumps or groups of participants riding along. I had a number of penalties I collected out there. The key things I found were people in the drafting zone of another cyclist for longer than 15 seconds. The draft zone is 2 meters wide (1m on each side of the bike) and 7 meters long (measured from the front of the front wheel). Many people would move in from the rear of the cyclist in front of them and not complete a pass or drop back out of the zone within the 15 second time. Some people rode side by side, in each others zone, for 30 seconds plus. Another thing I saw was people committing position fouls, like riding on the left side of the course or crossing the center line. Some people were passing on the right, not good. We saw some people dropping water bottles, gel packets, etc. this is considered "abandoned equipment- 2 min penalty".

Overall it was a great day, not too terribly many penalties, but enough to make note of.

Anyway, it was another great event and I am looking forward to next year's event. I might just have to race it myself and let someone else ride the motorcycle.

See you all at Heart of the Lakes, Chisago Lakes, Turtleman, PigMan, Square Lake, Treadman Duathlon, and TCM.

Kona or Bust, err maybe a PR for this slow, chubby triathlete.

Bill

2008-07-14 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1513959

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

murphvoss - 2008-07-08 8:54 AM I swam laps at the swimming area today and I think they widened the marked area from last year quite a bit. Last year I think it was about 75 yards and this year I think it is closer to 150 yards across. Either that or I am really swimming slowly.

Hey Dave, I measured it Friday with my Garmin.  Far buoy to far buoy was 297 ft...just about 100 yards.

2008-07-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1522602

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Yoganerd - 2008-07-11 9:38 AM It should be a great race day!

Sharon, sorry I didn't get to meet you.  With 3100 participants, it was hard enough just trying to keep track of the guy I rode up to the event with!

2008-07-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1525220

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

goalie - 2008-07-12 6:42 PM Well, all I know is that having a 4-day old baby, 6 hours of sleep in the last 3 days, and not bringing the wetsuit all added up to still having a fun day. I came in at 2:52 on the Olympic course I was quite happy with that considering the sleep-deprivation. Oh, and all of you who teased me about only swimming a few times since my shoulder injury in March, rest assured that, no, none of the rescue personnel tried to pull me out of the water and save me!!! I took the swim REALLY easy, and my shoulder feels pretty good. I should have worn my wetsuit though.

Congrats on the new arrival David.  Great time for having been sleep deprived and with your wife HAVING A BABY 4 DAYS AGO!!!

Get some rest...

2008-07-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1525563

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Yoganerd - 2008-07-13 7:54 AM

Yesterday's race was a fantastic event!  Thanks to people like you, Jeni, and your GF, it was a fantastic race.

This was my first Oly and, after more than a month of being sidelined due to an injury, I was thrilled to be able to compete and did NOT come in DFL!

Congratulations to all!

x2.  Thanks for volunteering Jeni.  We were running way late getting into transition area (6:05), so I just needed to get through the shortest line and go...

Sorry I didn't get to see you...

2008-07-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1525925

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

heynursie - 2008-07-13 1:29 PM My Husband told me that there are huge Muskies in Nokomis and at times they can be aggressive and actually bite. I know I was a little freaked when I did the OWS portion yesterday.. Right before I swam one of the volunteers laughed and said "Now don't let those Muskies bother you!!"

No Muskie bites for me...water must have been a bit too choppy......and all those swim caps which were the same color as the buoys probably confused them...

2008-07-14 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1526107

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

wnevala - 2008-07-13 4:23 PM Hello Everyone, I participated in the Life Time Fitness Triathlon this weekend as a USAT Certified Official. It was a nice morning and the people at the event were great. I spent a good portion of the morning moving up and down the transition area (mainly in the 401 - 850 numbered sections). Most of the time I was looking for racking errors and missing bar end plugs. I thought I would post some of the things I found. Missing Bar End Plugs: This is a safety hazard for bikers. Everyone should be checking for this before you leave home. Most race directors, like myself, will have a box full of them. Fortunately, Erik's Bike Shop was giving some out to the volunteers. Racking Bikes Incorrectly on the Bike Corrals: I found that many participants did not know how to legally rack their bikes on the corrals. This is a simple fix during pre-race, but can cost you a penalty once the race begins. Rule of thumb is that your belongings/towel etc should be next to your bike wheel that is touching the ground. You should alternate the direction you hang your bike based on the bike that is next to you. Does not matter if you are a seat hanger or a handle bar hanger as long as you have your things by the wheel touching the ground. Helmet Check: We spent time looking for the CPSC label on Aero Helmets. There are some unauthorized helmets out there. Missing Bike Numbers: All bikes must have a bike number. Extra Stuff: I saw some people who brought way too many personal items into the transition area. I even saw someone who had two bikes in the transition area??? Confusing there. These were all pretty fixable situations. So the race began and I was off to meet up with my BMW Motorcycle Driver to prep for the bike portion of the event. We waited for the groups of bikes to begin coming out on the course. One by one, all 16 of us (officials) motored out onto the beautiful and technical bike course. As we moved along the race course past participants we began to see clumps or groups of participants riding along. I had a number of penalties I collected out there. The key things I found were people in the drafting zone of another cyclist for longer than 15 seconds. The draft zone is 2 meters wide (1m on each side of the bike) and 7 meters long (measured from the front of the front wheel). Many people would move in from the rear of the cyclist in front of them and not complete a pass or drop back out of the zone within the 15 second time. Some people rode side by side, in each others zone, for 30 seconds plus. Another thing I saw was people committing position fouls, like riding on the left side of the course or crossing the center line. Some people were passing on the right, not good. We saw some people dropping water bottles, gel packets, etc. this is considered "abandoned equipment- 2 min penalty". Overall it was a great day, not too terribly many penalties, but enough to make note of. Anyway, it was another great event and I am looking forward to next year's event. I might just have to race it myself and let someone else ride the motorcycle. See you all at Heart of the Lakes, Chisago Lakes, Turtleman, PigMan, Square Lake, Treadman Duathlon, and TCM. Kona or Bust, err maybe a PR for this slow, chubby triathlete. Bill

Thanks for officiating Bill.  I saw quite a bit of violations myself.  I guess you learn to expect them sometimes with a race this big and with so many 'newbies.' 

Biggest thing I saw was on the uphills with turns.  People riding on the left side of the road (before a left-handed turn) on the uphill...and riding fairly slowly.  Didn't want to pass on the left-hand side, so I just slowed down, gave a friendly 'on your left' and passed when it was safe.  Maybe added a few seconds to my time, so I didn't fret too much.

2008-07-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1527296

User image

Minneapolis
Sparco Thanks. After the race I determined that I was not so much swimming slowly as not swimming straight. I finished at the BOP for the swim and I think my biggest problem was sighting. I wear glasses and can't see more than 10 feet in front of me. Last year I didn't really have a problem with it but I think it was easier to stay with the pack on the short course and the buoys were closer together. I probably ended up swimming 1.8K because I was zigzagging. The swim caps that matched the buoy colors did not help either.

I am going to get some contacts today.

Edited by murphvoss 2008-07-14 10:26 AM
2008-07-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1527634

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

murphvoss - 2008-07-14 10:25 AM Sparco Thanks. After the race I determined that I was not so much swimming slowly as not swimming straight. I finished at the BOP for the swim and I think my biggest problem was sighting. I wear glasses and can't see more than 10 feet in front of me. Last year I didn't really have a problem with it but I think it was easier to stay with the pack on the short course and the buoys were closer together. I probably ended up swimming 1.8K because I was zigzagging. The swim caps that matched the buoy colors did not help either. I am going to get some contacts today.

Dave, they do have prescription goggles.  A little pricey, but probably well worth saving them for open water swims...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  

of 3