General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike to work... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-20 9:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-02-20 10:03 PM
in reply to: #8579

Subject: RE: bike to work...
At least I have a bathroom available for a little "sponge" bath. I do leave a couple of extra sets of clothing at work and rotate them each week so I don't have to arrive with wrinkled clothes in my pannier. it is also nice that the trip TO work is more down than up (not good for the comng home part at the end of a day!) so I don't exactly get "sweaty". I suppose if nothing else is available, you could bring a damp washcloth -- or dampen one in your off limits bathroom, sponge down in your office, use some deodorant, comb your hair and there you are -- picture perfect! I know it is do-able.
2004-02-20 10:46 PM

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Well I have done the bike to work thing in the past. My suggestions are as follows. First allow extra time in the morning commute to keep your heart rate down. This will limit thecleanup time. Plus the morning rides tend to be cooler anyway. Once there I have two suggestions. First bring a thermos of warm or hot water to mix with some cold water for a spong bath. Second is the ever famous baby wipes. You will use quite a few but they work as a good alternative.Last but not least don't forget the deoderant and "stink prety" stuffs that can help. 8)

Joe

2004-02-21 11:13 PM

Veteran
On my way to work, I would sweat a little bit. The others have had some good suggetions for clean up(I was thinking the baby wipes would be good). Take your time before you get into your work clothes. When I would get to work, I would sit down and do some paper work before getting dressed. If I didn't, I would keep sweating for about 15 minutes after the bike ride and get my new clothes dirty. Cool off before the change.

Good for you. It is healtier for you and the environment.
2004-02-22 3:24 AM

2004-02-22 5:07 AM

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

How about using some of those pre-moistened baby wipe towels for a quick "water-less" clean-up? You could heat them in the microwave.

2004-02-22 12:17 PM

Your great feeling will get greater as you get into this mode of commuting!!! It is a wonderful way to get to work -- and others at work will think you are pretty special!!!! They may chuckle a bit, but they truly are envioous. I coordinate the annual Bike T0 Work Day at my work, and at least 2 people now use their bike once in a while (not often enough, but an improvement).

Good luck -- and have fun!

2004-02-22 1:43 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I have been commuting to work on my bike for over thirty years and although these days, I have shower facilities, I did not always. Actually last year I was posted in a building that had no showering facilities so what I did was clean up in the men's room. I removed my jersey, washed my face, neck and torso by the sink and applied deodorant. Then I changed into a fresh shirt, tie, slacks, underwear, and socks.
2004-02-22 8:07 PM

South Bay
I too have biked to work (got to get back to that) with no shower or hot water. I used the wipes made by Degree. They're antibiotic and made for adults so you don't smell like baby all day.

Edited by Rojofish 2004-02-22 8:07 PM
2004-02-22 9:29 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

To you who have rode to work before: What was the average miles of the commute?  I need a car for work many times as I have go go and see peoeple, has any one else faced this?  What happens if bad weather strikes?

Thanks

JR

2004-02-22 11:18 PM
in reply to: #8849

, Alabama

I've only ridden my bike to work once, a long time ago when I worked in a hospital and had to go in on New Year's Day.  I figured the roads would be empty and it wouldn't be too treacherous.  That was about 17 miles each way.  No weather problems, and there were showers to use when I got there. 

Once a week I ride my bike to swim team practice, 14 miles each way (depending on route).  When bad weather strikes, I still gotta do what I gotta do.  In the summer it is almost a guaranteed thunderstorm most afternoons.  Sometimes they come in a little early and have taken me by surprise.  That's how you learn good reflexes.  Rainstorms are scary enough but once I was in a horrible thunderstorm only 5 miles from home.  Good thing I didn't have a HR monitor on or would've blown up!

Sharon

2004-02-23 1:32 AM

2004-02-23 8:04 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My average mileage per commute varies as the nature of my work takes to different buildings throughout the city. It is not much though varying between 6 and 12 miles per one way; what I usually do is take a longer more scenic route on the way home to give myself a good workout. As for bad weather, the worst that can happen is a to get caught in a rainstorm in which case I get wet; that does not bother me much. I do not wear rain gear as I will get wet anyways and it gets too darned hot wearing rubber or plastic. I just allow myself to get wet and remove all my cycling wear when I get to work and let it dry out here and there and everywhere around the office. I also carry an extra cycling jersey and shorts just in case and I wrap everything including shirt, tie, socks and underwear in plastic bags inside my backpack so that I have something nice and dry when I do get to the office.
2004-02-23 9:58 AM

JR -- I will answer with my definte --- it all depends!

If I commute from home it is roughly 12 miles -- the bad hills come on the way home!! But I do not often start from home because I go to the gym or pool before work. So I drive my bike to there, workout and drive my bike to a safe parking spot and ride from there -- that makes it roughly 7 miles each way.

I have all the warm and rain gear one could ever need (call me gearhead) and seldom use the rainpants -- often wear the rain jacket. I have been caught in rain (once again -- Seattle, you know) but no big deal. Most of myself does not get wet -- just my outerwear. That dries fine during the work day.

If weather turns REALLY bad, I have couple of options. A few people at work have offered to drive me and my bike home whenever I need (weather, illness) or I can take the bus, all of which are equipped with a bike rack. I think there is also some policy at work of a guaranteed ride home for those who get to work via an alternatve commute (bike, van/car pool). I don't have to worry about that one since I have good friends who offer thier help. I have not had to use any of those options.

I try to bike commute on an average of 2 days a week year round. Sometimes I do it 4 days, some not at all (lack of motivation, work schedule does not allow, need to drive somewhere, etc). I have been VERY "bad" this year however. January held around 3 bike commute days, and February none!!! I won't bore you with my excuses.

That is probably, once again, more than you wanted to know..................

2004-02-23 5:25 PM

Regular
Seattle
I bike 17 miles each way, 2-3 days per week. No shower at work, but at least a decent bathroom for chaning.

For me, the key to not being too stinky is to shower just before riding. And always use a clean bottom layer (capilene, jersey, etc.). Yes, I get a bit sweaty, but clean sweat doesn't really smell. It's only when you get some bacteria in there that it gets ripe. As long as I'm clean when I start, 30-60 minutes of sweat is not a problem.

Now, once the gear and I sit all day, and then bike home, well, that's another story...
2004-02-24 11:44 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

I going to give a tri, with my job though I going to have to plan it in advance.

Thanks for the great info.

2004-02-24 10:00 PM

How cool! LaraD started this thread, and Y-NOT-TRI is planning to DO IT. Way to go.....
2004-02-25 5:01 PM

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
In regards to planning, try to leave a set of shoes at work. First if you commute with a back pack or bags it is less weight. Also it is never fun to walk around barefoot when you forget ;-) . I work blue collar and try to leave as much clean stuff as I can at work for spares anyway. Love the suggestion about the cooldown. Also do not forget a towel if you go for H2O.

Good luck, Joe
2004-02-25 5:42 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
For those of you planning to commute to work for the first time do stock a few items in your office for emergencies. Over the years, I have forgotten ties, a shirt, underwear, my wallet, my ID card, a towel, and many other items. For those of you who do not want to leave extra slacks at work, if you roll them up and pack them in your backback or bag snuggly, they will not wrinkle; the same would applies to shirts and I assume for skirts as well. What I do each spring at the start of a new season is bring in one of each article of clothing as a backup just in case; I even leave a few dollars hidden in my desk in case of emergencies. I have actually forgotten my backpack and did not realise it until I got to work so I got a double workout that day because I had to go back home and get it!?!
2004-02-25 5:45 PM
in reply to: #9308

2004-02-25 6:21 PM
in reply to: #9309

Regular
Seattle
I like Miachiavelo's suggestions. I have a drawer full of clean clothes at work.
As far as id code/office keys, I got the IT guy to give me a spare, and I leave it in my bike seat-bag. Along with a bus ticket and some $$.

Oh, if you're commuting, you might want to check out Better World Club. They're a substitute for AAA, and they claim to be enviro-friendly. (They argue that AAA is out to build roads, while they're supporting green issues). You can read their site, and make your own conclusions.

The best thing about Better World, though, is they offer BICYCLE road support. Yup. Just like AAA, you call them up, and they come get you. I don't think they do repairs, but you get 2 free rides per year, up to 20 miles! (now that's confidence for long training rides). Cost for bike-only is a bit steep, but if you replace AAA for cars with Better World for cars and bike, the cost is about the same.

http://www.betterworldclub.com/

Good luck!
-r

2004-02-25 7:49 PM

Thanks for the site -- betterworld looks quite interesting. I will have to return to it with more time to peruse. I find all these neat sites, and plan to come back to them when I have more time ------ and then I get wrapped up in staying on this board!!

That's not truly a complaint -- just an observation...........................

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike to work... Rss Feed