General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Open Water Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Open Water Challenge - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
Wisconsin Swimming, Inc.
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35 + wetsuit
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

got up, packed baG pbj + gatorade... drove up there - about 1.5 hours
Event warmup:

none - 3 mile race I'll warm up on the first lap
Swim
  • 1h 33m 6s
  • 5280 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the longest single session swim I've ever attempted so I figured I'd take it easy the first lap - slipped behind a long lean woman and drafted the first 1.5 laps - saved energy. There was another guy shadowing the two of us. At the middle of lap two, they took off. I did not see her again.

The rest of the race I was pretty much on my own.

Rounding the bouy to the third side on the second lap, the wind must've kicked up because the chop was brutal. If you could only breath to the right you'd be having some serious difficulties. It was the most difficult swimming I've ever done. Fortunately I can breathe left but the chop made sighting tough, you really had to get your head up to see the bouys. This meant the second side of the triangle was the most relativeley smooth so I planned to push harder on that side.

Lap three was more of the same, into the chop 1st side, 2nd side i did push but was getting tired, form was breaking down a bit, really had to focus on keeping it long and not getting sloppy with the pull as I tend to cross over midline when I get real tired.

Turning into the final leg, the chop was even worse - I was getting bounced around and took some water, I flipped over to clear it out, and drain my goggles. Took the opportunity to thank a guard in a kayak. I could not see anyone around me. I asked if I was last... he said not even close so I figured to push on to the end.

I could see the end chute bouys so I decided to crank it up dispite the chop. As I got closer I say a orange cap ahead of me and I was getting closer. It was the guy that had took off with the tall chick.

I blew past him like he wasn't moving. Actually he looked like he was struggling and his head was way down.. water was actually breaking on the back of his neck.... anyway I cranked it up into the finish, when my hand hit bottom i got up and staggered up the short steep soft sand and across the Mat. People seemed a little aghast.. I was staggering a bit, and let out two big belches. I was done! 1:33:06
What would you do differently?:

push a bit harder, i did not leave it all in the lake
Post race
Warm down:

staggered around for a minute, DD#2 found me and i stripped off wetsuit ate a banana and finished the last of my now warm gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

some mild calf cramping , but mostly the chop. It did not look like much but had a definite impact. Plus I am not in as good condition as I would like to be

Event comments:

stuck around for announced results.. 2nd! Hardware!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:33:06 | 5280 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
this was set up in waves the division i was in was 35+y.o. & wetsuit. Not a big group but some.... Mile 1 28:16 - drafting help a lot Mile 2 30:54 Mile 3 33:54
Suit: QR short john
Course: big triangle 3 laps some chop especially on the 3rd leg. It impacted everyone doing the 3 mile wave - earlier wave did not have so much wind
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-28 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Open Water Challenge

2008-06-28 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1496355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Open Water Challenge
3 miles? Wow! I have never swam that far before.  I think I would have finished the same way as you did.  Kinda swagger/stagger out of the water and then let out a huge belch or two. Yes, outstanding.  Congrats on the hardware.
2008-06-29 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

"...two loud belches..." sure they weren't donkey brays? EEEEAAAAWWWW!

Here, fishy, fishy....you are swimmer extraordinare (sp)!

2008-06-29 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Congrats on the hardware and on such a great race!   

DD#2 is very pretty!  What a proud papa you must be. 

2008-07-01 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Great job Dave!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Open Water Challenge Rss Feed