General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacific Open Water Challenge - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Beach, California
United States
International City Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 25s
Overall Rank = /155
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/9
Pre-race routine:

I had been planning on doing some sort of event at this race months ago but the big wildcard was insuring that I was properly recovered both mentally and physically from Ironman Coeur d'Alene the weekend before.

My goal for the race was just to have some fun and enjoy the day hanging out with the cool kids. I was also keen on doing the 5k swim as a qualifier for Gatorman in September. As it turns out, I am already in for Gatorman and don't need to qualify this year. (Got an EMail from the RD)

Ultimately, since I was registering on race day, I could be flexible and just do what I felt like doing. I decided I was not up for another long endurance effort which would not really be in keeping with my recovery.

So, I decided to do the 1 mile swim and also the 5k run. I figured the 1 mile swim would give me a good gauge of my swim fitness and the 5k would give me an opportunity to solidify some recent gains in run performance.

The 1 mile swim started at 7:00AM, and would take me less than 30 minutes to complete so I had plenty of time to recover and get in a good warmup before the 5k. I know from past experience, it takes me quite a few miles to work into my true 5k pace and a proper 5k warmup is about 6 miles but I would probably get by with about 2-3 miles pre-race.

Event warmup:

As luck would have it, the swim started late and appears to the be the result of delays caused by the Lifeguards setting the swim bouys. As it turns out, the swim was more like 1.5 miles (At least) and so I only had 3-4 minutes to get changed and head over to the start pen for the 5k.

So, I am booking this as an Aquathon. (Swim/Run Duathlon) My pace tactics for the run were also dramatically altered because I went into this race still gassed from the swim and also with zero warmup. No way I was going to get anywhere near 5k pace. maybe something closer to 15k pace if I was lucky.
Swim
  • 41m 32s
  • 2641 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim started out great and quickly reached the first bouy. Water was so warm compared to Lake Coeur d'Alene that it was not long before I was really heating up. I definitely did not need to hood although it is more to keep the cold water out of my ears.

As I rounded the first bouy, there was no way I could see the next turn bouy since it is about 1/2 a mile away at this point. I just follow the crowd and find that I have plenty of sea room to swim. My stroke is smooth and easy at this point and I feel very comfortable.

We get about 2/3 the way down the course and I realize we are all a bit off from the course. I get back into line and now I realize that many swimmers around me cannot see the bouy because they are zigzagging all round in front of me. I make the turn and the first place Female Swimmer (The Women Started in the wave after mine) charges by and I make sure to give her plenty of room since she is in the money.

I can see the next turn bouy and it is a lot farther then it should be. I know at this point that the course is long. I did the 5k last year and had to do 3 laps of this course. I am still feeling good at this point and finally make the 3rd turn bouy and head back down the course.

I can see the pier but not the turn bouy and so have a pretty good idea of where to go. I continue to swim but I am starting to work hard now. My pace has picked up and I know it's way too early for a final kick so I try to slow it down a bit.

About 2/3 the way back down the course, I notice I am passing a lot of folks and wonder why that is. This is a super fast race and I am the only one who gets passed out here. Maybe it's because the course is long and they are running out of gas.

About this time, a guy appears swimming next to me who is stroking along very comfortably and is slowly pulling ahead. I am working very hard to maintain this pace and count 4-5 strokes for every one he does. Clearly he is way more efficient then I am. I get behind and draft him all the way to the last turn bouy and continue to pass quite a few folks.

heading back toward the beach, I am pouring on the speed and hoping to crank out a good 1 mile time. I don't want to leave anything out here.

As I reach the beach, I stand up and start running. Another guy who is wading in behind me starts to speed up because I swam past him. (As he was wading) We both charge up the beach in a final foot race to the finish and the announcer is cheering us on.

But then, before he has a chance to get completely passed me, he cuts right in front of me (Shoulder's me over) and I trip on his foot an down I go face first into the sand :( :( :(

The crowd goes "Awwwwww" and I quickly get up and take the last 2 steps to the chip mat and I am toast. (My breath is gone and I am heaving) I look at my time 41:2x and I am so dissapointed. How the heck could it have taken me longer to swim a mile slower then any 1.2 mile split in an HIM or IM event.

Then I remember that the course is probably long, but by how much?

About that time, I check the time and realize it is just a couple of minutes away from the start of the 5k and I have to get changed and get my other chip on and get to the start line. (3-4 minutes)
What would you do differently?:

Sign up for the Proper Aquathon as I think I could have placed really high in this event.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

No time to waste and no warmup possible. I strip my suit off, throw a shirt over my tri-suit with my bib number, swap chips and put my shoes on.

I am still soaked from the swim.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I start out in the back of the pen mostly because I don't want to muscle my way into the front. This turns out to be a great decision because I get to see Jocelyn at the start.

Gun goes off and so does my Garmin. (Battery is dead) Now I am going to have to run this race naked. I have my watch by don't want to futz around with recording lap splits. Just gonna run by feel. I wish I had ditched the shoes and run this one BF :)

Past the start I weave through the crowd and I am certain I pissed a few folks off as I scooted through. (Sorry folks) Then I am at the back of the lead group and know there is no way I am going to get any further toward the front today. I am still gassed from the swim and already working hard on the run.

That's OK though. I am just going to hold this pace for the duration and let things unfold. I am doing an Aquathon after all and am still soaking wet.

I hit the first mile right at 7:00 and am reasonably happy with this. Am hoping to crank things up a bit but I don't have much left to give at this point so even pace it is. At the turn, I see the first place runner go by and give him a cheer along with the first place woman.

I am hanging with a few other folks and I pace behind them for a while but feel certain I won't be able to hang on with them for too long. By about half way into the second mile, the guy in front of me who looked like he was running strong starts to fade and I charge past him and the next two or three folks in front of him.

Then I am past mile 2 and I know from my progression runs, the last mile is actually the easiest. I try to pick up the pace a bit knowing a have a short ramp to climb over near the end. (banking up a few seconds) Then I am over the ramp and heading down the other side and can see the finish.

I try to build some sort of a kick but have nothing. Then someone behind me starts to kick next to me and I respond. Then he speeds up a bit and I respond again. About this time I see Chris and the guy goes for broke and I have nothing left.

I let the guy go knowing I gave him everything I had. I cross the finish line and just about die right there. (Well, Puke is more accurate) Get my chip pulled (I am the only one with a chip holder and the volunteer is very confused)

Run the Aquathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Short jog/walk to regain my ability to hold food and drink down in my tummy and get some sports drink and water.

After watching Verna tear up the Aquathon, We all met up and went to a fabulous place on the beach for lunch. The Huevos Rancheros (Ranch Eggs) were fantastic and just what my tummy needed to be happy again.

It is always the highlight of a race to hang out with the cool kids. Hope to see everyone in Naples next month.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue from last weekend's Ironman and the hard swim earlier in the day.

Overall, I am pleased with the results. There is no telling how long the course really was but it would seem to be at least 1.5 miles but could be as long as 1.7.

With a 1.5 mile distance, this was my fastest post-surgery race pace. If the swim is in fact longer, it could be my first race with a sub-90 Second pace. (I suspect the distance is somewhere between 1.5 and 1.6 and I am being safe with 1.5)

For the run, I am fairly pleased with the results given that this would have been a great 5k for a proper aquathon. I still need to go find a proper 5k or even 10k to run in the next few weeks to solidify my recent gains in running though. (With a proper warmup that does not include a swim)

Event comments:

I like ICR and they usually put on a great race. They did realize the mistake with the course being long and lucky for the 5k swimmers later in the day, they fixed the issue.

Unfortunately, not soon enough for the Aquathon and the 1/2 mile swim folks because they still ended up with some measure of overage on their course.

Last updated: 2008-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:32 | 2641 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 34/155
Performance: Good
Suit: Full with Hood
Course: 1 Loop of a box course laid out in Belmont Shores. Course only had turn bouys and no intermediate course bouys. Swim was by dead reckoning for most of the way out and back owing to the fact that it is near impossible to sight a bouy almost 1/2 mile away.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  04:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:21:53 | 03.11 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 14/155
Performance: Average
Course: Fast Flat course along the bike path in Bellmont Shores. I am very familiar with this course because I did the 5k last year (I ran a 21:46 for 2nd place AG) and also the Long Beach Marathon which runs over the same trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Pacific Open Water Challenge

Thanks to the Cool Kids for making this such a fun race to be at. The race was fun and lunch was awesome.

Maybe see you all at Naples Island and/or Carpinteria :)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-06-30 3:46 PM

2008-06-30 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1499852

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge
Tim, first of all I'm glad to have finally gotten to hang out with you. You are the coolest of the cool kids! Considering all the obstacles...late race, long swim course, no sighting buoys, being pushed into the sand, 4 minutes of transition time between races, no Garmin, and what else...oh yeah, that little Ironman thing you did last weekend...you really did a great job! You definitely earned those huevos rancheros! I'm definitely in for Naples, as my OW mojo is returning....but probably the 1 mile not the 3. I'll see ya then!
2008-07-01 11:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-07-01 11:51 AM
2008-07-01 1:25 PM

Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge
You, my friend, are an animal.  To do that just one week after CdA.  The funny part was the guy that saw your hat and asked "what year did you do CdA?" "Oh, last weekend."
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge Rss Feed