General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 08m 33s
Overall Rank = 217/384
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm. I know shocking. I was pretty set the night before so I was able to putz in the kitchen and make a peanut butter bagel and some Gatorade. Surprisingly, I ate it with little difficulty, usually I can't get anything down. Packed everything up, found a decent place to park. Put the bike together, pumped the tires up and walked to the event.
Event warmup:

Was there early enough and I checked in the night before, so I had time to do some warm-up. I ran about 3/4 of a mile and got warmed up. Visited with some people, fellow donkai and checked in with some other Franklin Energy teammates. Went down to the lake with about 20 minutes to start and swam to the first bouy of the sprint course and back. By the time I got back they were getting everyone out of the lake.
Swim
  • 26m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took the swim clinic from Lauren Jensen on the Friday before and she had a lot of good tips. The biggest one was to slow down on the start. She said to barely swim, let the adreneline wear off and then start you swim. I took that advice and had a decent run into the lake, two dolphin dives and then started to slowly swim. i could feel that my body wanted to go, but i restrained and let that feeling pass and just work on getting a rythem and concentrateing on long smooth strokes. After about a minute, i finally felt my HR come down, looked at my watch and it said 168, a little high, but it's a race. Peaked at a couple bouys to stay in line with the course and set my target on a swimmer a few yard ahead of me. Didn't chase, but slowly reeled him in and tried my first attempt at drafting. I guess i did OK, but i didn't really notice much of a difference, so i passed him. Took afew breastrokes with about 200 yds. to go to the turnaround. Made the bouy and then swam downwind on the final leg. Felt pretty good, but my left calf was starting to tighten. I knew it was going to be problamatic.

People were complaining about he water, but I didn't think it was that bad. I never really had any issues with the chop.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have pushed a littel harder, but in my whole race plan was not to burn up on the swim. I still had a lot of race left. The swim was the longest I ever raced, so it was a learning experience.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Whew, this was one long transition. Lots of running a hill and then more running. I took my wetsuit off pretty quickly. I had to sit down to put my socks on, but after that I was fine.

Not much i could do. I should practice getting on the bike with the shoes still on, but I didn't want to try it on a race.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 45s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

From T1 I new that my left calf was going to act up on the bike. I decided not to mount my shoes on the pedals from the last race incident. I was able to get into the pedals pretty quickly and got up to speed. There was some significant tightness in the calf, so i concentrated on stretching our my cycling stroke as long as possible and concentrated on driving my heel down a bit. It seemed to help.

I had biked the course before, so I knew what to expect. There was a pretty strong wind on the coure and I probably pushed a little too hard and might have played a factor on the overall ride. I didn't pass a lot of people as i was one of the first waves and a better than average swimmer, so i was passed mostly by noticable faster cyclists. Made the half way point and looked at my average speed and decided i would take advantage of the down wind segments and get it moving a bit. i felt strong on the flats and was really generating some nice speed with little effort. I think for the longest stretch I was going well over 26 mph. Of course, hills slow me down, but I thought I navigated them easily, just hard for me to get "me" up there.

I felt pretty good throughout, but there are always things you can do to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Pretty good overall. I did forget to put my running hat on, so had to double-back 5-6 steps, but after that the legs felt pretty good. The transition area was really long and you had to run down long aisles to get out. There was no openings in between the racks. Slugged down a gel and a couple of sips of Accelerate. I learned my lesson from Green Bay.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 1h 04m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

It's always my weakest part of the race, I know that going in. I some ways I think I set myself up to no run all out, but I did OK, considering it was my first OLY. The coures had some pretty significant hills and one of my goals was to not walk up any of them.

My HR was again too high to be comfortable, but it was about the same for most races. Got myself into a comfortable pace and then preoceeded to get passed by just about everybody. It is what I do. I think sometimes I'm fraid of pushing it a little faster for fear of having nothing left at the end.

I know the only way I am going to get faster is to loose more weight and start practicing running faster,
Post race
Warm down:

2 Waters, Gatorade, 1/2 bagel and orange slice. Walked around and chatted to company team members, BT'rs, fellow racers, etc. Great event and the weather held off!

Event comments:

Great Race!

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:34 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/384
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU C:1 Comp
Course: Out and back (kind of)
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:45 | 27.96 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: North of Elkhart Lake, through mostly quiet country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:57 | 06.21 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A little bit of out and back in the first 4 miles and then a loop for the next two.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-03 9:06 PM

User image

Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-07-03 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1507728

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Congratulations on a good race. I may have to steal the tips on the swim start!
2008-07-03 10:54 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Sounds like it was a lot of fun! Good work on the bike too given the winds and hills.
2008-07-05 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
looks like a great race and very interesting for me to read since my next race in 8 weeks is an OLY.

good luck picking up your run speed!
2008-07-08 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great Race.  Nothing like your first Oly....well except maybe your first HIM....which is just 10 days away

You will be ready.  Sounds like you raced it very smartly and had a good time.  That is what its all about!

2008-07-10 8:28 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Another person who suffers cramps like I do.  Hopefully we'll figure out how to eliminate that problem.

Nice job, Donkey!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed