General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

A little messed up. We found out on July 3rd our 9 mo old daughter, who has spina bifida, needed to have brain surgery on Wed July 9. At 2:00 AM Sunday morning she woke up screaming. We couldnt calm her down and we thought there was brain swelling so we had to get in the car and start to the ER (1 hour away). Luckily she fell asleep and the neurosurgeon just said take her home. So I "went to bed" at 4:30AM and got up at 6:00AM gave her kiss and ambled out the door. Oh and I had a glass of soy milk and a penut butter and jelly sandwich
Event warmup:

just a five minute jog and a few strokes in the lake
Swim
  • 25m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided I would try to start at the front of the pack. Ran in and was suprised on how much room I got, The first buoy was about 100 yards straight out so I gave a little sprint, rounded it nicely and settled down for a couple hundred yards of fun.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I feel very comfortable during the swim. I am not tired when I get out so I guess I should keep moving it a little faster. My sighting was off on the long straight aways so I went back and forth quite a bit
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

the timer for this race didnt capture transitions. Maybe it got added into by crappy bike split (ha). I felt good dont feel like I wasted too much time. Suit came right off and I got into the bike pretty well
Bike
  • 1h 23m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

craptastic! I didnt feel bad but I felt real slow.This was a very disheartening ride. I was passed by everyone-age group guys, older guys, 300lb guys, ladies of all ages and sizes, my grandma...I am glad I wasnt familiar with the course because if it was a double loop I might have quit. Luckily I had no idea where I was so I had to finish. The last 5 miles I got a burst of energy and started passing some people who had dusted me.

Obviously more time on the bike. I bought a trainer and was able to double my time in the saddle since my last oly but it was for nought I guess.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

once again no time provided. felt quick. Almost got run over by some dude flying in right before the dismount. A note to you Mr.Red shirt guy- if you were busting it to shave a second off your time and you were just now catching my slow butt while almost running it over- slow down you aint getting a medal.
Run
  • 53m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

good run. caught Mr.red shirt guy 2 feet outside of transition and saw him a walkin' several times on the out and back run course. I loved the shad aspects of the course. It was a little tricky to pass because of the narrow path and the rocks but I love trail running so this was a dream course for me. I would take this over a dull run on the road anytime.

not much. I had a great sprint at the end and caught three people. Wore a visor and I felt good (no sweat in eyes, no heatstroke)
Post race
Warm down:

pacing back and forth infront of the heed and water coolers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of sleep and mental distress - I was about to DNS the race but the kiddo seemed fine and my wife said to go and race and try to relax my mind and body

Event comments:

Pros: set a new overall PR by nine minutes, set a new swim PR by 2.5 minutes, set a new OLY distance run PR by six mintues
Cons: Set new low for bike time/speed,

Goals: My A race in Sylvania is in a few weeks. I feel good about the swimming and running improvement. I want to hit 2:30. I must improve to at least 20 MPH on the bike

Task:
1) get a professional fit. I have been riding and adjusting my bike on what I have gleaned from others and the internet (if it is ont he the internet it is true right?). I have scheduled a fitting to make sure I am in the proper position to get the most out of my bike ( a POS roadie with clip on aero bars but I know the issue isnt so much the bike)
2) Make biking a priority. It is #3 on my enjoyment list and also the most difficult to fit into the schedule. Between the fluid trainer and more road time I will log more hours.

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 15/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: x2 rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:49 | 24.85 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/15
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Big loop with some hills and ups and downs
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:04 | 06.21 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Performance: Good
Course: combo of trail and pavement run. partially in the shade. out and back out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-08 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Caesar Creek International Triathlon

2008-07-14 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1516118

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek International Triathlon
Great job on your race effort. I can understand your DNS comment very much. Your situation is definately more personal then mine was. Really tough if it must be for you, when it's your own child. My prayers go out to her and your family.
BTW what drew me to your report is I plan on racing the Great Escape tri 9/7 at MArblehead myself. Hope to see you there. Best of luck in your training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed