General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Life Time Fitness
Total Time = 2h 49m 37s
Overall Rank = 468/1148
Age Group = 30-39 Clysd
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00am with my wife (she was doing this one too). As always, everything was packed and ready to go the night before, so it was get up, quick shower and down to get the stuff out of the refrigerator and into the cooler. Normal Multi-V, Bagel with peanut butter and some pre-race infinit. The drive was about 40 minutes, so by the time we go to the race site it was about 5:30.
Event warmup:

With all the people, decided to leave the bike warmup out, but got a 10 minute run up to "race pace" and a good ~400 yd. swim. Being a "large" guy, I get to start early in this race as the clysd. class heads out in Wave 7-9 of 50+ waves.
Swim
  • 26m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had an awesome start and was at the front of the pack and had clean water for the first 200+ yds. Kept heart rate very low and nice easy strokes. I drifted a bit to the left (as always) and probably cost myself 10-20 seconds on the first leg. Once we were back into the waves infront of us, I was able to pick off other swimmers as a means of navigation and that helped quite a bit. I did a quick time check at the half way point and I was WAY above my target pace, so I purposefully slowed some to save myself for the dreaded last leg of the race (I hate running)
What would you do differently?:

pace more equally throughout the entire race. The clean water with no "obstacles" was nice, but not sure if I couldn't have come in a minute or two faster had I kept to a more stable pace.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Big transition, but got stuck for a good 30 seconds with my socks... had to calm myself down and get things under control.

Look at my socks to be sure that they are set up right. Also, switched back to higher ankle hight socks that I used to use and they were much more difficult to get onto wet feet.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a disappointing time for me. I should have been in about 5 minutes faster. I just was too relaxed. It wasn't until about 12 miles where some of my wave started to catch me that I started to push. I would guess with lap data, I would see the first 10 miles under 18 mph.

Need to get up to speed right out of transition... I was too relaxed and felt a little bit too good. I can hold a strong pace, but when it comes to a significant mid race pace change, I tend to struggle
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Long transition and took about 5 seconds to grab a quick drink.

I really need to learn some of the big accelerators. Shoes on the bike etc.
Run
  • 1h 01m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, one positive is that I negative split the laps... other than that, not a great run for me... I ran all but the aid stations which was good. I kicked with one mile to go and I could have started a 1/2 mile or so sooner.

Again, for me it seems to be the pace out of transition that really sets the mood and the course for the section of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

sit down! LOL... actually, I took in fluids (water mostly) and

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mentally a bad race for me... tried to hold back too much going into the bike and run part of the race and struggled in picking up the pace. I have a huge fear of the run since it HURTS!!! Being the weight I am (227 today) down from 272 18 months ago) I am still hurting more than I need to. I am targeting 205 by november and with the change in my running from the 240's to now, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Event comments:

I will comment that the race was on time for me... I am hearing that later waves were not out anywhere near to on time and that would make sense since I didn't see a single Short Course runner on the course while I was running! Everything went very well for me. (My wife's timing was all messed up, they had her in the water for 8:41:23 - she would have had to have started a little after midnight)

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/42
Overall: 130/1148
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1 First Wave
Course: Clockwise in Lake Nokomis
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:33 | 24.85 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/42
Overall: 354/1148
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful course... one of the better courses around Minnesota triathlons. Closed which makes a HUGE difference.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:09 | 06.21 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/42
Overall: 836/1148
Performance: Below average
Course: two lap course around lake nokomis.. fairly flat...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %<1%
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic

2008-07-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1525796

User image

Subject: RE: Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic
Great RR! I did this race yesterday too and had the same thoughts about the bike. In my opinion the bike course is challenging, so I would say that your time is pretty impressive still.

Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Fitness Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed