General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potential and triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-13 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Subject: Potential and triathlons
I have been wondering a lot lately about my potential in this sport.

Right now, I am a back of the pack triathlete who finishes in last place (or nearly last) in every triathlon I enter. I am wondering: if I work hard enough in this sport and do all the right things in terms of training and recovery- could I ever become a middle of the pack triathlete (or beyond)?

Do genetics have a lot to do with how well you will perform at this sport? What kinds of things could I do to get better at this sport (besides just practicing more)? I have some general idea, but would like to hear views from some more expierenced triathletes.

Thanks!

2008-07-13 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1526266

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Potential and triathlons

I started as a BOPer and have improved. How I place depends on the race and who shows up. As races get longer I'm farther back just for the fact that most folks who do longer races train more and take it more serious and often have been doing tris for awhile.

I'm 46 women should I think that I'll ever be average? Men are faster than women and I'm not young either.

I like to look at those I compete against where I stack up.

When you first start training if you are new to this improvement comes fast if you are consistent. There is a time when each improvement takes a lot of effort.

I believe there are two factors that determine what your potential is. First is the genetic ceiling we all have..sort of the limit given our bodies potential we could achieve highly variable but given to us by our parents at birth. Second is the way we train..this by far is most important as we want to do the best we can given what we have. Are we consistent? Do we do our hard workouts hard? Our aerobic workouts easy enough? Do we rest properly? Do we eat well? Do we get enough sleep? Do we follow a plan?

The fun really is challenging ourselves to do our best. In '05 I came in last in my first Oly..a week from today I'm doing my first Ironman. I know I'll be BOP, but I guess that I probably have made more significant changes than most to get to the starting line...so in my husband and kids' eyes I'm a winner even if I come in last or don't finish. I was brave, dreamed big, did something 5 years ago I thought was impossible. 

Edited by KathyG 2008-07-13 6:41 PM
2008-07-13 9:42 PM

Regular
South Carolina
As I have aged, I reflect that in my youth my standards were set by others and measured against the competition. Now I train for myself adn measure my results against self set goals. At the beginning of year it was to do a 5K. then a duathalon, the a tri and now to get better. Any how, Age winner, overall winnner or a BOPer. judge your results by your won guidelines. Trust me, it is harder.
2008-07-13 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Lookiing at your blog, I would bet just getting a road bike, getting some clipless pedals and maybe an aerobar, would move you from BoP to maybe MoP.

That alone will add 5 miles and hour to your bike speed. Just going from mountain bike to road would add 3 miles per hour. Keeping your current bike and putting on slicks would add one mile per hour to your speed.

Looks like you are solid on the swim.

Your log doesnt show your pace for any event, so cant tell if speed work would help your running or not.

For me, losing 30 pounds moved me from BoP to MoP. Its amazing how much easier it is to run and ride without that extra weight.

No clue whether you need to lose weight or not to race faster, just saying it worked for me.
2008-07-13 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

First, I'd recommend focusing on racing against yourself.  That way you're always racing someone with the same potential and genetic make up as you.  It's fun to look at where you come in on the overall standings, but your motivation should come from maximizing what you have.

Genetics plays a large role, but I don't it's easy to know until your body has been training for a while and you know how it responds to that training.

My guess is, like most of us, you should just swim more, bike more and run more and let those training adaptations take place over time.  Like Kathy said, they'll come quicker at first, but the key is consistancy over time. 

Lastly, just make sure you're always having fun and don't get discouraged by things like where you come in the standings or your average MPH on the bike. 

2008-07-13 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I feel your pain, I didn't exactly win the genetic lottery for triathlon.  I'm 5' 2.5" with a muscular build (see exhibit A, my avatar) and, um, some large endowments to carry around.  When I started training I got plenty of comments of the "you're not built like a runner" variety.  In the past 7 months I've done 4 triathlons and 3 running races with results varying from mid-BOP to MOP.  As an extremely competitive person I am always thinking about how I can improve my place in the pack, but when it comes down to it, I'm doing this to be healthy and challenge myself.  And lately the comments have been less "you don't look like a runner" and more "wow, you're looking good these days", and a few people I know have started racing after seeing me do it.  I feel that where I finish is a minor detail compared to the overall effect of participating in triathlon.

In spite of what I just said, I am very interested in hearing what more experienced triathletes have to say on this topic.   I want to be in the FOP!!!!!! 

2008-07-14 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

From someone who wasn't blessed with the genetics lottery (save for big feet that are like flippers), I think it takes years of consistent training, but it can be done. I started out BOP and am now solidly in the MOP. I can tell that I still have room for improvement that is within my capability and should come over time with the right consistency.

Improvement in a lot of these sports is measured in years, not weeks or months....

2008-07-14 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1526581

Cashmason - 2008-07-13 11:03 PM Lookiing at your blog, I would bet just getting a road bike, getting some clipless pedals and maybe an aerobar, would move you from BoP to maybe MoP. That alone will add 5 miles and hour to your bike speed. Just going from mountain bike to road would add 3 miles per hour. Keeping your current bike and putting on slicks would add one mile per hour to your speed. .

Um...not sure where exactly you are getting these numbers, but I wouldn't say that a road bike and clipless pedals will add 5mph to your speed. Yes, they help, but a lot of that stuff depends on the user.

But to the OP, if you are still riding a hybrid or a mountain bike, getting a road bike will definitely help. Get you from BOP to MOP? That depends. But it's a start. If your bike is really weak in general, all the fancy equipment in the world won't get you high ranking, esp. since the bike is the biggest part of the race.

2008-07-14 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1526991

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
wurkit_gurl - 2008-07-14 8:41 AM

Cashmason - 2008-07-13 11:03 PM Lookiing at your blog, I would bet just getting a road bike, getting some clipless pedals and maybe an aerobar, would move you from BoP to maybe MoP. That alone will add 5 miles and hour to your bike speed. Just going from mountain bike to road would add 3 miles per hour. Keeping your current bike and putting on slicks would add one mile per hour to your speed. .

Um...not sure where exactly you are getting these numbers, but I wouldn't say that a road bike and clipless pedals will add 5mph to your speed. Yes, they help, but a lot of that stuff depends on the user.

But to the OP, if you are still riding a hybrid or a mountain bike, getting a road bike will definitely help. Get you from BOP to MOP? That depends. But it's a start. If your bike is really weak in general, all the fancy equipment in the world won't get you high ranking, esp. since the bike is the biggest part of the race.

Those numbers are pretty arbitrary, but if you do look at her logs, her longest ride is 2h55m and she said she went 20 miles.  A 5 MPH improvement with those changes might be possible, but obviously more T.I.T.S. needs to happen as well.  Although I don't think it would get this rider to MOP.

2008-07-14 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

I know the popular and accepted answer is always "more training", but that has never accomplished what I was looking for. I just learned to go further distances at the same relative speeds.

Faster (for me) has always come from a willingness to up the level of discomfort I was willing to put up with; i.e. push harder. For example, I did a 6K run a couple years ago where I decided I was just going to push it to the limit, and if I bonked then I bonked. I was in pain most of the run and came close to throwing up at the end; but I also took about 20 sec/mile off my best time.

The thing is, I don't get paid for this and am trying to keep it fun; so I'm honestly not willing to push it to that level all the time; but I do incorporate workouts that force me to push the envelope once in a while (like treadmill sets where you set the speed a little faster than you *think* you can run and stay with it as long as you can).

I'm sure you can make it to middle of the pack with some work and consistency over time; but beyond that you need to ask yourself (and be honest with yourself) about what you are really wanting to get out of it and how hard you are willing to push yourself to get there. Don't ever let it stop being fun... 

2008-07-15 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Thanks for all the advice everyone! It is nice to know that people from the back of the pack have actually worked their way into the middle of the pack, and that most triathletes have been able to improve greatly with time! That is a wonderful accomplishment!

I understand now that improvement comes with time, and a willingness to work harder. Do you know of anything though, that I can do to make this improvement be closer to my true potential though? What specific things can you change in your training regime to get faster, or even to take you from the BOP to MOP?

Thanks for your input

2008-07-15 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1531756

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain
As most will probably attest, it takes time and mileage.  If you put in the effort, you will see results.  Your goals should be realistic and make sure you remember where you started from so you can look back and see how far you've come!
2008-07-15 3:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

amyro1234 - 2008-07-15 3:45 PM What specific things can you change in your training regime to get faster, or even to take you from the BOP to MOP? Thanks for your input

Slowly, safely, increase your volume. That's how you build strength, that's how you build endurance, that's how you build speed.

2008-07-15 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I think it takes a little of both (training and genetics).  If you finish you first race in last place after several months of training the odds that you will ever win a major race a slim to none unless you had a really, really bad day.  I prefer to race against myself and if I place high great. 
2008-07-15 5:11 PM

Anchorage
I don't come from an athletic gene pool, and was never much of an athlete. But working consistenly at this sport for two years, and working this year with a coach, I have moved from BOP to MOP. I don't realistically expect to win races ever, unless I am fortunate enought to outlive my quicker competitors and take the old guy age group, but I am delighted by all the progress I have made in a couple of years. For me, coached and group workouts have been a terrific way to up my pace. I went from doing every "run" at the same 10 min. pace until I joined a running group. Now I am doing track workouts with a 7:45 pace group, and have shaved 5 minutes off my p.r. for the 5k. Bottom line -- with time and higher intensity workouts, you can certainly be faster.
2008-07-15 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
How long does it take with consistant training to reach full potential?  2-3 years?

2008-07-15 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1532479

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

bmass - 2008-07-15 10:59 PM How long does it take with consistant training to reach full potential? 2-3 years?

It takes 5.7 years.

There is no answer to that question.  And that doesn't just apply to triathlon.  It applies to just about everything in life. 

2008-07-15 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
You mean that everything doesn't follow a simple formula?  A better question might be, "how long has it taken some of you to reach your peak?"  
2008-07-15 10:33 PM

User image

Master

amyro1234 - 2008-07-15 4:45 PM Do you know of anything though, that I can do to make this improvement be closer to my true potential though? What specific things can you change in your training regime to get faster, or even to take you from the BOP to MOP? Thanks for your input

Spending a minute looking at your logs.. you spend a ton of time swimming, and hardly any biking. Getting your training ratios to be more triathlon focused, instead of swim focused could help. I would suggest one of the BT plans to get a workout strategy.  The BT plan will also help you with focus in workouts, to maximize the time to improve.. and not just workout

2008-07-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1532566

User image

Expert
Computerland
slake707 - 2008-07-15 11:33 PM

amyro1234 - 2008-07-15 4:45 PM Do you know of anything though, that I can do to make this improvement be closer to my true potential though? What specific things can you change in your training regime to get faster, or even to take you from the BOP to MOP? Thanks for your input

Spending a minute looking at your logs.. you spend a ton of time swimming, and hardly any biking. Getting your training ratios to be more triathlon focused, instead of swim focused could help. I would suggest one of the BT plans to get a workout strategy.  The BT plan will also help you with focus in workouts, to maximize the time to improve.. and not just workout

Thanks for all the tips! I try to bike and run as often as I can.

I can't do any less of a swim focus though. I am on a swim team and have practice almost every night. Which BT plan do you recommend, by the way? I can't seem to find any that coincide with my current level of fitness.

I also have another question: How much speedwork should I be doing in each of the 3 sports? I am in my second year of triathlons this year, and have heard different opinions on the idea of speed work for new triathletes.

Thanks again!
2008-07-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1533737

amyro1234 - 2008-07-16 11:36 AMThanks for all the tips! I try to bike and run as often as I can. I can't do any less of a swim focus though. I am on a swim team and have practice almost every night. Which BT plan do you recommend, by the way? I can't seem to find any that coincide with my current level of fitness. I also have another question: How much speedwork should I be doing in each of the 3 sports? I am in my second year of triathlons this year, and have heard different opinions on the idea of speed work for new triathletes. Thanks again!

I'm guessing that you are young, possibly in high school or college (just guessing by the swim team thing and I think I saw somewhere that you were going to drivers ed class)? If you are on a swim team that practices every night and you aren't going to quit anytime soon, then you need to get up early and bike/run those other mornings, and do long rides on the weekend, etc. Cycling is hard, and I blow at it, and developing a truly strong base seems to take a LOT longer than the other two sports. And cycling is what will most likely keep you at BOP status. So yeah, what Slake said - ride more.

2008-07-16 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1533737

User image

Expert
central Iowa
amyro1234 - 2008-07-16 10:36 AM
slake707 - 2008-07-15 11:33 PM

Spending a minute looking at your logs.. you spend a ton of time swimming, and hardly any biking. Getting your training ratios to be more triathlon focused, instead of swim focused could help. I would suggest one of the BT plans to get a workout strategy. The BT plan will also help you with focus in workouts, to maximize the time to improve.. and not just workout

Thanks for all the tips! I try to bike and run as often as I can. I can't do any less of a swim focus though. I am on a swim team and have practice almost every night. Which BT plan do you recommend, by the way? I can't seem to find any that coincide with my current level of fitness. I also have another question: How much speedwork should I be doing in each of the 3 sports? I am in my second year of triathlons this year, and have heard different opinions on the idea of speed work for new triathletes. Thanks again!

I'm not sure what you mean by this - many of the plans here are minutes based.  You wouldn't need a plan for your swimming (since that's already planned out for you).  From observation, I haven't really seen a lot of people have success drastically increasing the number of times they workout in a week, so from your logs it looks like a 2x's a week with swim focus or perhaps a 2x's a week with bike focus. 

2008-07-16 12:12 PM

I hope you are only questioning your placement and not whether you should continue competing.  You cna get all the technical questions answered to assist you in finishing in a different pack, but is that the only reason you are training and competing, to finish is a certain pack?  I've only completed one tri, a sprint, and am scheduled to compete in another one in 3 weeks.  I am racing against the clock and if I can gain sine my first sprint.  If I finish dead last, yet beat my last time by 5 minutes then it was all worth it. 
2008-07-16 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Just to clarify a few things:

By saying that a plan dosn't coincide with my current level of fitness, I am talking about the volume involved in the training plan. The plans for the olympic distances (which is what I am training for) don't really have as much volume as I would like.

The plans though that have more volume, however, are for ironman training. I don't plan on doing ironman for another couple of years! Also sometimes on these plans, the swim workouts will be too easy and the biking too hard. Is there any way I could customize a plan without paying any money?

Also, I do not plan to quit triathlons because I am in the back of the pack! I would have never even started if I cared so much about what my place was I don't care as much about my placings as I do about achieving my best possible potential in this sport, whatever that may be. I know I am never going to be fast, but I don't really care. I just want to try to be the best I can possibly be at this sport!

Thanks for all the responses! Sorry for all the questions!
2008-07-17 5:16 AM
in reply to: #1535313

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potential and triathlons Rss Feed  

of 2