General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nightmares! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-13 7:17 PM

New user

Pacific NW
Subject: Nightmares!
Anyone else have nightmares about their races before the race? I've dreamt that I've forgotten items, or started running instead of biking, etc. I'm a month from my second tri ever and am more nervous than I was for my first a couple years ago!

2008-07-13 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1526316

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Nightmares!

Ha, welcome to the world of tri.  No really, if your first tri was a couple years ago, this is just a repeat of tri 1 and all normal, at least in my world.  I usually will pack and double check everything before sauntering off to bed so I don't fret.

I had sorta similar feelings for my first race this year only cuz it'd been so long since I'd raced!

2008-07-13 7:43 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

I did, right before my 2nd tri, actually.  I dreamed that the pool we were going to be racing in was so small I would be able to push off the side, turn and push off the other side without ever having to actually swim.  Then when I finished my swim I asked which way it was to the transition area, and they said they hadn't decided where the area was going to be yet, and I should just sit down and wait.

I was worried that the race wasn't going to be organized.  The pool did turn out to be small, 25 yard lanes, which led to a really fast swim time (for me).  But it was all well organized.   Nerves are normal, if you've prepared you'll be fine. Enjoy your race, and good luck. 

2008-07-13 7:44 PM

User image

New user
Geez, I thought I was the only one. I have a recurring nightmare the night before a race that I have forgotten something at home, and by the time I go home and back, I've missed my wave start.

2008-07-13 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Everytime.  Sometimes it starts more than a week before the race.  It's usually the dream where I've forgoten something.  I have similar dreams before big trips.  But luckily, none have come true yet. (knock on wood). Oh, and if I'm not having bad dreams, I'm probably not sleeping.  lol.  Welcome (back) to the fun of racing. lol.
2008-07-13 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
All the time!  Recurring dream is never being able to get all my stuff together, eg. forgetting swimsuit, bike, etc. and not realizing it until after the race starts.  One time I dreamt my bike was lost right before IM Moo, and the best they could give me was a tricycle (with cowhorns on front) unless I wanted to wait for others to finish so I could borrow one of their bikes. 

2008-07-13 9:54 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

My first tri is next weekend and I've been having *insane* dreams.

Most popular - my daughter who is actually 5yrs old is - in my dream - an infant with a 5 yr old brain and speaking capabilities.  I have her with me at the race and no one will watch her while I do the bike ride portion (no clue how I did the swim?) so I put her in the baby seat on the back of my bike (?) and start making my way up the Beast of the East...!!

Follow up dream is that my tri is in San Fran (?) and my mother is with me and has convinced me we have time for lunch before hand. ??  Then I'm late and we can't find the car, there's a thunderous downpour and we are walking up and down hills in search of the car with all my gear. 

Funny how the subconscious plays with you during times of stress or nerves!   

2008-07-13 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1526374

User image

Master
TORONTO

jimmyb - 2008-07-13 9:02 PM One time I dreamt my bike was lost right before IM Moo, and the best they could give me was a tricycle (with cowhorns on front) unless I wanted to wait for others to finish so I could borrow one of their bikes.

This is *hilarious* btw ha ha  Thanks for the laugh! 

2008-07-14 12:00 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I have dreams like that all the time - about triathlons, work, school (haven't been a student in 4 years) and softball (haven't played in 9 years).

Usually I forget something (bike shoes, running shoes, helmet) but sometimes I can't find where the race is and I'm running late.  Same with school - I have a test and forgot my notes, running late, can't find the class, or I was enrolled in a class and forgot about it and now I'm getting an F.  Softball dreams very often involve running to first base and feeling like I'm slogging through waist-deep sand, not going anywhere.  Or I'm not starting, and I'm angry and frustrated, or I have a bad at-bat, etc.

I've heard that dreams like this are called anxiety dreams and that people who have them tend to be the type that demand/expect a lot from themselves...........hmmmmm..... sounds like triathletes!!!!!

2008-07-14 12:28 PM

Seattle, Ballard neighborhood
I'm glad that I saw this posting! My first Tri ever is this Sunday and the nightmares have begun a couple of nights ago. I'm also extremely nausious and can't seem to relax my mind and just be in it for the experience and to have fun. I'm not a competitive person and didn't realize that this would make me such a wreck. I've been working towards this goal since last July but the fact that I've never raced of any kind before and just learned to run, swim and basically bike this year is getting to me more than I thought it would. I think I just need to see how normal it really is to be feeling this way.

Thanks!
2008-07-14 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

I don't get them before a race, but I get them during training.  Especially when I've missed a workout or have a rest day.  I usually dream that I missed my wave, got lost on the course, or missed the cutoff time.  The first couple of times I had nightmares if freaked me out enough that I would train extra hard for a couple of days.  Now I've come to expect them, but it still sucks to wake up from one of those.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nightmares! Rss Feed