General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone deal with Gluten Intolerance...and how do you eat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 3:40 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Anyone deal with Gluten Intolerance...and how do you eat?
I think I am a tad bit Gluten Intolerant. Speaking with a nutritionist friend of mine, she said that most people are to some degree, but it affects people differently. I have been making a big effort to cut down on the amount of bread/gluten (and other stuff that contains it - wow, things would wouldn't even think) that I consume but it is pretty hard, esp with training. Does anyone else suffer from this and how is your diet. I know the basics - more fruits and veges, less processed flour, sugar etc, but didn't know if there were things that worked better for others. Thanks so much - my stomach thanks you too!

2008-07-14 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1529004

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Anyone deal with Gluten Intolerance...and how do you eat?

There is a lot of controversy regarding Gluten intolerance and/or allergy.  I think there is some truth to it.  More stores/brands are catering to the gluten free people.  Whole foods and Trader joes stores carry a lot of glute free stuff.  There are also a lot of books about it. 

I end up replacing a lot of wheat products with corn products.  For mexican food I generally order items that are served with corn tortillas instead of wheat.  There are a lot of name brand cereals that are gluten free; corn flakes, and some specialty cereals that you can get from Whole foods or trader joes that are gluten free.

For pancakes and waffles there are a few choices.  You can buy gluten free pancake mixes, you can make your own gluten free substitute flour, or you can buy gluten free frozen pancakes or waffles.

When you go for fast food and want a hamburger you can get the "protein style" at in n out.  Instead of a bun, they give it to you with two large lettuce leafs to hold the burger.  It is really tasty.  Eliminating the bun removes about 100 calories, so then I can spurge on a small french fry.

I personally dont eliminate all wheat, but I have drastically reduced the amount I consume.  I feel better.  Good luck.

Also search for gluten free, or GFCF diets on the internet.

2008-07-14 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Desiree Ficker, who is a top pro triathlete, has issues with gluten.  Do a google search for her webpage- she at least used to have some suggestions on this matter.
2008-07-14 11:11 PM

Scottsdale, AZ

thank you all for the info!!! Don't cha just LOVE Trader Joes!!!! I go there at LEAST once a week and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg like the other 'natural' food stores. I am slowly making some changes and taking out major parts of my usual diet (soo addicted to cereal) and am feeling a bit better. That along with cutting out dairy is tough, but is making a difference so I am willing to try it out. Just sick of feeling sick all the time. I will check out website, always good to see what other athletes are doing!
Thanks again!
2008-07-15 12:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I don't know what the "contraversy" would be... you either have Celiac Disease or you don't. Perhaps there are other things like IBS that are going on, but true gluten intolerance is diagnosed as Celiac Sprue Disease (through small bowel biopsy).

I am Celiac/Gluten Intolerant; have been since I was born. You can buy virtually ANY product gluten free at a health food store. I eat Tapioca Bread, Rice Pasta, Gluten Free bagels and waffles, cereals, etc. In the past few years, there has been an explosion of new products - the baking mixes are the BEST (think cakes, cornbread, cookies, pancakes, brownies).

You asked if there were things that worked better than others. The only true way to feel better (if you are truly Celiac) is to completely eliminate gluten from your diet. Not just try to cut back. It really is eye-opening, how many food items contain gluten, especially at restaurants. Go to any chain restaurant's web site and look at their gluten free menu. I was astonished to find that they cannot guaruntee things like corn chips or sour cream or salsa are gluten free. Sometimes it's becuase they do not have dedicated fryers (food with gluen is fried in the same vat as corn chips and *does* affect those who are very sensitive) and other times like with salsa, they start from a base that uses flour as a thickener. Who knew. You really have to do your homework though.

You also mentioned more fruits/veggies and less sugar. Neither of these things have anything to do with gluten intollerance.

Some products I particularly enjoy: Larabars, Van's Waffles, Enjoy Life Bagels, BioNature pasta, Amy's pizza, Amy's lasagna, any mixes from Gluten Free Pantry or Pamela's.
2008-07-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1529337

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Winston63 - 2008-07-14 5:56 PM

There are a lot of name brand cereals that are gluten free; corn flakes

Most 'name brand' cereals DO contain gluten. It's in the form of malt or malt flavoring (made from barley). Be careful.

so then I can spurge on a small french fry

McDonald's fries contain gluten. From their web site under French Fries: *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

And since they are fried in the same frier as breade chicken and such, it is almost guarunteed to contain traces of gluten.

2008-07-15 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran

Just want to add that decreasing "processed flour" isn't quite enough for a true Celiac.  Many flours, not just processed flour, must be omitted.  Including wheat/whole wheat flour.   Sugar has nothing to do with it. 

Also, to get an accurate diagnosis, like Lisa said, a biopsy of the small intestine is done. 

However, if the biopsy is done weeks/months after avoiding gluten, then the biopsy can show a false negative.  It is actually best (for an accurate diagnosis) to have the biopsy while consuming gluten.

Here is an excellent site/resource: 

http://www.bidmc.harvard.edu/display.asp?node_id=5449

Good luck!

2008-07-15 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
ohio
My 8 y/o daughter has a gluten problem, shop around many chain stores will carry the GF products. As what Lisa said its all or nothing with a gluten allergy. no just cutting back. the hard part is the fast food. not too many choices for a quick meal.
2008-07-15 5:48 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

The controversy lies in many areas.  The fact that the biopsy can give a false negative, the belief that there might be different levels of "intolerance", etc.  It took many years before western medicine admited that there was such a thing as celiac disease.  Western medicine does not believe in food intolerances, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting the possibility. There really has not been much research done on various food intolerances.  The little bit that has been done shows that there could be some issues and more research should be done.  However, dont hold your breath for the government to fund research that may determine that wheat and dairy is not healthy for a large percentage of the population.  Not a conspiracy, just politics.

Anyway, just stumbled upon the "Paleo Diet Book".  Have not read it yet, but the say to get rid of wheat and dairy too.  Their premise is based on a Darwinian viewpoint.

2008-07-16 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1532044

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Winston63 - 2008-07-15 5:48 PM

The controversy lies in many areas.  The fact that the biopsy can give a false negative, the belief that there might be different levels of "intolerance", etc.  It took many years before western medicine admited that there was such a thing as celiac disease.  Western medicine does not believe in food intolerances, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting the possibility. There really has not been much research done on various food intolerances.  The little bit that has been done shows that there could be some issues and more research should be done.  However, dont hold your breath for the government to fund research that may determine that wheat and dairy is not healthy for a large percentage of the population.  Not a conspiracy, just politics.

Anyway, just stumbled upon the "Paleo Diet Book".  Have not read it yet, but the say to get rid of wheat and dairy too.  Their premise is based on a Darwinian viewpoint.

It's true about the lack of research. With so many more being diagnosed (and mis-diagnosed in the past - maybe that's the premise of the disbelief), it seems to justify some research being done.

As for the false negative biopsy, when my mom and sister were tested (both positive, that's 3 in my immediate family), the doc said to be sure to load up on gluten the 2-3 days before the test for accuracy. Maybe not all docs give this advice...

I do know there are different levels of sensitivities. When I was a kid I would throw up for hours and hours with just one bite of gluten. Today, I can eat some without it immediately bothering me. I really have to do it 2-3 days in a row to see any effects (and it's GI stuff now ). My sister has had other symptoms like some skin problems, and I've read on Celiac forums about people who get migranes and a whole array of other ailments as a result. Sometimes I wonder if they are blaming everything on Celiac, but other times I have to realize everyone has different symptoms. I have even heard people talk about how they are so sensitive they had to throw out all of their cooking supplies, pots, pans, utensils, because the gluten can get in the pores. Some have even instsalled new countertops and such. Thankfully I am not that sensitive.
2008-07-16 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran

While I completely agree that there are many controversies surronding many things, there isn't much of a controversy regarding a false negative result from a biopsy to diagnosis Celiac.

If a patient omits gluten for a period of time, their small intestine may not be damaged enough or at all to allow for a positive test d/t his/her current wheat avoidance.   Therefore, many Drs do recommend consuming gluten/wheat prior to the biopsy so that the small intestine will show a reaction i.e. a positive result.

As far as gluten getting into people's pores...it is more from them using a lotion or shampoo that has gluten in it, and then touching their mouth with lotioned hands and digesting the gluten.  Fortunately I see more and more Drs and health professionals becoming educated in Celiac, at least in this region. 

Edited by SoManyGoals 2008-07-16 8:25 PM

2008-07-27 9:33 PM

User image

I started going to a metabolic clinic a year ago and I have have great results regarding various issues. During this time I found out that my tolerance for gluten was very little. Aside from  my bi-weekly pizza, flour products are not part of my diet and gluten is limited. I was also told to quit drinking beer because of the gluten. Havent had one since last August. My body has tolerated the bi-weekly pizza as long as it is not fast food pizza (dominos, Pizza hut, etc).

My diet is mainly meat, fish, veggies, and fruits. 

2008-07-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1563356

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
reconbyfire - 2008-07-27 9:33 PM

I started going to a metabolic clinic a year ago and I have have great results regarding various issues. During this time I found out that my tolerance for gluten was very little. Aside from  my bi-weekly pizza, flour products are not part of my diet and gluten is limited. I was also told to quit drinking beer because of the gluten. Havent had one since last August. My body has tolerated the bi-weekly pizza as long as it is not fast food pizza (dominos, Pizza hut, etc).

By the way there are a few gluten free beers (made from sorghum). Bards Tale, Redbridge and the Cider varieties (like Woodchuck) are all gluten free.
2008-07-28 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1564328

User image

lisac957 - 2008-07-28 12:32 PM
reconbyfire - 2008-07-27 9:33 PM

I started going to a metabolic clinic a year ago and I have have great results regarding various issues. During this time I found out that my tolerance for gluten was very little. Aside from my bi-weekly pizza, flour products are not part of my diet and gluten is limited. I was also told to quit drinking beer because of the gluten. Havent had one since last August. My body has tolerated the bi-weekly pizza as long as it is not fast food pizza (dominos, Pizza hut, etc).

By the way there are a few gluten free beers (made from sorghum). Bards Tale, Redbridge and the Cider varieties (like Woodchuck) are all gluten free.

I tried the majority. Did not like. Big fan of Smithwicks & Guinness.

I am now on the cab/merlot couple of glasses on fri, sat, and sunday.

2008-07-28 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Training w/ Celiac -Gluten Intolerance is pretty easy if you plan ahead. The times I have the most challenge is during a race as most race site snacks (power bars ect..) and pre-race meals (pasta dinners) include gluten.

2008-07-30 6:59 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
How is one tested for gluten intolerance? What are the signs/symtoms? (Be as gross as you have to be.) I'm suspecting my son and maybe me are having a problem. Is it better to go to a naturopath or "regular" MD?

2008-07-31 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1571522

Veteran
Generally it is a blood test for "celiacs disease", or also a skin test along with a host of other allergens.  Unfortunately these don't always tell the story.  Celiacs would be considered more acute version of this, but there are degrees of intolerance.  You can also finger print yourself, and if you see horizontal white lines across your finger- that would indicate gluten sensitivities.  However, the latter won't show up unless there has been a long period of eating gluten and having an immune response.  

The symptoms can be vague, and MANY.  Common ones:  diarrhea, cramping, body aches, foggy brain, mood changes.  If you eliminate gluten from you diet for a number of weeks, then add it back it- the symptoms will likely be very pronounced.  Also, eating food that you have intolerances of can indeed cause real medical problems for you later...  

I would suggest that if you have a Naturopath that you see, and there is no acute illness, then they will be most able to assist you in this.  
2008-07-31 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1572441

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
energy7OMgirl - 2008-07-31 9:36 AM

Generally it is a blood test for "celiacs disease", or also a skin test along with a host of other allergens.  Unfortunately these don't always tell the story.  Celiacs would be considered more acute version of this, but there are degrees of intolerance.  You can also finger print yourself, and if you see horizontal white lines across your finger- that would indicate gluten sensitivities.  

Actually it's small bowel biopsy is how most are diagnosed. There are blood tests to see if you have the antibody, but that's really a pre-test for the biopsy. The finger print thing is news to me... as well as the skin test... where did you hear that???

Symptoms are different for everyone, but most involve GI issues of some sort. The most common are diahreea and cramping. When I was a kid, my symptoms were hours of vomiting. Basically the villi in your small intestines gets cut off so it cannot absorb food. The food has to exit your body quickly - one way or another (vomiting or diahrea). As an adult, my symptoms have changed to more GI-related issues.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone deal with Gluten Intolerance...and how do you eat? Rss Feed