Gatineau, Quebec
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 59s
Overall Rank = 7/95
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

All this time and I never knew... that I was a hobbit.

Did the bike course twice the night before, wanting to do 3 but got stopped by a flat! Got back to the trailer (coach was taking all the bikes with him in the trailer since it was a 5 hour drive to the race) walking, until one of the teammate landed me his bike so I wouldn't have to walk barefoot and make my injury worse. Very nice of him. We decided I would change the flat after getting something to eat (and finding the place where we were sleeping). After a few hours, we went back to the trailer and I started to change the tube when I realized the valve wasn't sticking out of the wheel. WTF!? Oooohhhh right, I have new carbon wheels that need longer valves! The one I didn't buy, and that the tri shop guy didn't noticed me. Damn. Nobody else had tubes with a valve long enough. It took forever, and at some point another teammate came in with an "extension". I finally was able to put some air in it, not as much as I would have wanted but I decided it was enough. Finally went to bed some time after that but it was 11 when I finally could be in bed. Alarm clock was only 5 hours later! :(

The next morning I went to the race site and I had told my teammate to meet me at 5h30 (to make sure he'll be there by 5h45 since he was with coach AND the trailer). They weren't there when I got to the meeting point at 5h33. I waited. Then decided I would walk to the other parking where I knew they would arrive but they weren't there when I arrived 10 minutes later. I walked around. Ran around. Ran some more, around. Swore around, a lot. And then promised to myself I wouldn't wait for anyone or wait for my stuff from anybody next time. I'll bring MY stuff and *I*'ll be able to warm up when and how I want. Anyway... they arrived and it was like an hour before the race and we had to go back around the lake and warm up. Blah. BAD START.

No HR strap.
Event warmup:

Ran around (remember the swearing!). Then, after I got my bike I didn't have enough time to ride so I just ran a little bit but very shortly. Then, I made sure my transition set up was ok and went to the lake. Swam a little bit to make sure my goggles weren't taking any water. They didn't.

No wetsuit because the water was too warm. Sad, that is very sad!
Swim
  • 26m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

The fact there is no wetsuit screwed me a little bit. Made me a bit nervous too. But oh well, c'est la vie. Start was ok, was at the front and decided faster guys would have to pass me. Good strategy, not too much of slamming around, maybe because I looked at some of them before the start and gave them my evil eye! ;)

Began relatively conservative and thinking that swimming sucked, especially when a RD doesn't allow you to swim with your weapon... The thinking got better with time and the few gulps of water changed the ideas too!

Tried to draft several times but I was too slow for the people that were passing me. I succeeded once towards the end with my buddy Pierre. I got out of the water with him, which is VERY good since he's faster than me.

Almost forgot to tell that when I finished the first lap I got on my feet and took some time to empty my goggles dammit! I really need to fix this.
What would you do differently?:

Be a better swimmer but not much I can do right now.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Very fast. Passed Pierre in T1. Had a good jump on the bike and got in my shoes without too much problems this time.

The new aero helmet wasn't too hard to put on, which was nice, since it's very tight.

T1 time is in the swim time, I think.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 23s
  • 40 kms
  • 37.28 km/hr
Comments:

Took the time I needed to put my shoes on once up to speed. Did a good job and then Pierre got back to me. Suddenly I realized I forgot to tape a gel on the bike. Dammit! I asked Pierre if he had 2 but no luck. I swore again about them getting late before the race but didn't stay on that for more than 10 seconds. Then I started to roll. Went by Pierre and slowly built a lead. Lap after lap I could see it increasing. There was this one guy with the exact same helmet that was always passing me and I would pass him in the technical part of the course. I joked with him at some point and he laughed. We stayed together, in the same 20-30 feet, for all the bike leg.

I started to fade a bit at lap 5 and was afraid that I would need a gel...I didn't have. I continued to go hard and didn't slow too much. Passed a lot of people and cheered the 2 other teammates when I was going by them.

Very proud of the result. There was a little headwind in one portion but I was staying quite fast anyway. 4th fastest time OA is more than I expected.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went by my rack and turned around 2 racks later. Not good. Other than that, very good transition, except the part I almost got the rack down when finally racking my bike.

Find it the first time. Concentrate more, it shouldn't happen.
Run
  • 38m 17s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 50s  min/km
Comments:

The legs were VERY tired after that ride! Left calf was tight since 2 weeks and I felt it right away. At some point, right quad was in deep sh!t but was able to continue.

I wasn't under the impresion I would run under 40 but I was feeling somehow not so bad. Went as fast as the body could and cheered the people I was passing.

Can someone explain why in the world, with my very best time ever at a 10k, I finish 6th out of 8 in my AG?!? 38:17 puts me below avg?! WTF. Oh well, people are starting to be very fast in here! I'll do better next time.

Not much seriously. There's the gel situation that brings some questions but I honestly cannot complain about that time!
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted a bit. Later went for a 10-15 min run, but not before putting some vaseline on my *4* big blisters! Did a 35min ride as well with Pierre. He crashed on a local bike path. Quite dangerous, and he almost rolled down the hill after his crash.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a hobbit.

Event comments:

Very cool event. Would recommend it to anyone. It was part of Quebec's provincial Olympic circuit. 48 points on a possibility of 50.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:20 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 23/95
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 2 x 750 m triangle. With LOTS of seaweed.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:23 | 40 kms | 37.28 km/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 4/95
Wind: Some
Course: 5km bike course in a Park and on a public road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:17 | 10 kms | 03m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 16/95
Course: 2.5km loop in a park. Mostly shady, which was very good! 2 water stations, one which we were passing twice so that was 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-15 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon olympique de Gatineau

2008-07-16 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1532239

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon olympique de Gatineau
You sure are fast .  Congratulations on a great race and podium finish!
2008-07-16 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Don't worry about your valve length, it is what you do with it!

You had an outstanding race. But I think you have some serious preparation issues.

The Valve, the Gel, the Strap...A lot of this can be from overconfidence from previous races.

What happens is the hassle they cause you tend to ultimately impact your speed and performance. You are already fast - imagine how much faster you might have been if you didn't have that hassle on your mind and your mind was just focused on winning?

What I do, and you know I am nowhere near your calibre, is that I overcompensate. NO! not for valve length, ben voyons, donc!

I always keep extra stuff in my tri bag. Extra gel, extra tube, extra (older pair of) goggles, swim cap, extra asthma inhaler.

I pack them at the beginning of the season and forget about them. That way, if on race day I realize I forgot something, I have the peace of mind to know that I have a back-up.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pack and repack before you leave for the race...you should.

As for speed. I noticed that this year. I'm about 20% faster, but I still can't catch up to anyone. It seems most everyone in my AG is also 20% faster - the result of training and that they were faster than me last season...It just means more training.

You had a great race Steve! So what if the GIANT beat you, at least you were not wearing a unitard!

2008-07-16 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Congrats on another fantastic race   You can really pull off some impressive times even with rough starts in the morning!  Weren't you feeling crappy before your last race??  And this time you kicked some butt without getting in a good warm up!  Nice job with the 10K PR

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon olympique de Gatineau Rss Feed