TBF Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 263/300
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got packed up the night before (mostly) and then dithered around with too much nervous energy feeling unprepared. Forced myself to go to bed at midnight. Seriously considered hitting the "alarm off" button when it went off at 5:30 am.

Of course, it took me a little longer than planned to get out of the house and I forgot my sweatshirt, so I was a little cold. Made it to the race at about 7:30 (race starts at 8:00) just enough time to get registered and get my stuff set up. Set up everything close to the swim exit as I do NOT enjoy running across asphalt in my bare feet. For a wonder, I did not mess up anything or forget anything critical.
Event warmup:

Got down to the water when the first wave of guys went off and warmed up. Water was warm, really at swimming pool temperature.

Told a couple of people where the course went, cause apparently they couldn't figure it out.
Swim
  • 19m
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

First of all, it would have been 1/2 way brilliant to actually figure out my new sports watch BEFORE the gun went off. As it was, I couldn't get the timer started. So, swim time is probably not exactly accurate, but hey, I survived.

Start was really good, in the middle of the group - no one was giving way but there wasn't any deliberate pushing/shoving either, just too many people trying to swim in the same water. Once it spread out a bit, looked for some feet. Found a good pair, but too slow, jumped onto someone else, who thought it was a great plan to swim fast for 5 strokes and then breast stroke for 2 strokes to see where she was going. That was frustrating. Tried to latch onto someone else, but she was going too fast, so ended up most of the swim on my own. Except for the irritating Breast Stroke Women. I swear they were a club. Learn how to SIGHT people!

Swim was ok, but not stellar.
What would you do differently?:

Find better FEET! Haven't really been swimming enough to do a solid 1/2 mile effort, felt I was slower than I could have been.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Estimate, cause here was where I figured out how to work the watch. A little longer than I wanted but not bad. I don't run through transition, and I'm always a little shaky after the swim (balance issues) so not too bad.

Get tougher feet, so I can run on asphalt with no pain.
Bike
  • 59m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Really good bike for me. I passed a lot of people, which usually doesn't happen. About 2 mph faster than I've ever been on this course. I felt strong all the way through, although I probably needed to drink more. The day was very cool for July though, low 90's when usually it's 100+, so that helped a lot.

The true test would be the Olympic distance, cause the Sprint - there's fewer fast people. I was hoping for a bit faster time, but I did slow down a lot spinning up a couple of the hills and especially the last one coming back into transition.

I felt strong the whole bike. To be honest, I've lost weight, and I felt a definite difference on the uphills.

Nothing. Good as I could do given training time.
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

I hate T2. I can never seem to get myself organized and I can't ever remember what I'm doing.

Figure out a way to be less scattered!
Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 3 miles
  • 15m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

It was really nice that it was cooler than usual. BUT I did NOT push as hard as I could have. I was tired and I just couldn't get going. So, not a bad run, in fact, 15 min miles is definitely a respectable pace for me, but I could have done better if I had suffered a little more.

I just kind of ran out of steam, especially on the uphills. It's a rolling course, not much flat at all, the uphills are steep but short, and I didn't manage to run any of them.

Well, should have trained more.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Sparky from the forums, that was fun. Slowly gathered up my stuff and headed back to my car, went and got an iced mocha which was amazing and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training time. Weight as well - although since I've lost quite a bit this year I can really tell a difference cause I'm not hauling around as much poundage.

Event comments:

Well organized, well run. They've put this race on 3x a year for quite a while and it shows. It runs like clockwork.

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:00 | 875 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Average
Suit: swimsuit
Course: Rectangular. You swim around 3 sides of a rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:40 | 16 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rolling, out and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:25 | 03 miles | 15m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Fire Road, dirt, out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-15 10:33 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Tri for Fun Sprint Triathlon #2

2008-07-15 11:30 PM
in reply to: #1532563

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Tri for Fun Sprint Triathlon #2
Good job out there, especially on the bike! What does that say about mid-summer temps that it was "only" in the 90's for a race that was done by 11am.

The only part of the race I saw you was crossing the finish line, but with a big stride and a huge smile, what more could you want?

2008-07-17 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Wow - great race!!

All 3 segments had some stellar times ... you can definitely see a difference between last year and this year.  And just think - it's only going to get better!

Way to go!

2008-07-17 11:00 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Awesome job! I noticed the bike time decreasing with the weight loss too.

Hey at least you didn't leave your helmet on in T2 like I did! D'oh!

100+? I can't imagine racing in that. ick.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Fun Sprint Triathlon #2 Rss Feed