Winding Trails Recreation Assoc.
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 6s
Overall Rank = 155/227
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 23/48
Pre-race routine:

Seeing that I was leaving from work, I stopped at a convenience store for pre-race supplies. Bought a 3l bottle of water and a sleeve of bagels for some semblance of nutrition. Got on the highway and grabbed a snack. 1/2 way through, an obnoxious sour taste hit me from the moldy bagel in my mouth. After choking and spitting for an eternity, I switched to a Clif bar in my race bag I arrived in plenty of time, parked, checked in and found a spot on the rack.
Event warmup:

Jog back and forth to the car to establish transition plans and ditch excess equipment. Go get wet in the lake (very warm compared to the LI sound I'm used to).
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only 2 waves in the race, Men, followed by women and kids. So it was a BIG field making for some physical swim battles. I held my own adn heard some complaining from behind me. After the first buoy, it opened up a bit and I was able to draft for that leg. On the beach return, it remained open enough and I passed my pace partner.
What would you do differently?:

Ehh, tough to know. Somehow avoid the massive pack, but I'd imagine that's the RD's discretion.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 is built into the bike time. It seemed a bit slow. I've tried to be methodical about T1, but maybe I'm thinking it too much? I never am comfortable here.

Speed it up a bit. Make it urgent.
Bike
  • 29m 20s
  • 5 miles
  • 10.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not a good off-road cyclist: I think I realize that now. Plus, I ride the mountain bike maybe 4 times a year. I chicken s#it the downhills and am really tentative in technical sections. I did OK, but felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I dropped the chain in a heavy rooted section and have done it in other races. Had to dismount, fix and carry on. Gotta look into a chain checker / dog-fang doo-hickey

I had the cyclocross bike which might have been an advantage (nothing was un-manageable), but the roots threw me a bit and maybe the hardtail would have been a better choice?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 is built into the run time. NP

Hard to know.
Run
  • 30m 44s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't trail run in training, so I was surprised how different it was from road running. I got passed early and often...

One guy stopped, took his shoes off to run a pine needled section, then stopped again to put them on again for another section. Not sure what was going on there...

Practice trail running. It was a nice change from the roads.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't hang out too much. Cleaned up transition area and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't fully recovered from Sunday's 5K race and I didn't race to exhaustion last night. I had an honest effort, but not crushing.

Event comments:

I love the venue. I race a cyclocross event there in the fall and facilities are well set-up for these.

Full results at: http://www.plattsys.com/results/res2008/wt0805.htm

Last updated: 2008-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 109/227
Performance: Average
Suit: PI tri shorts
Course: Simple rectangle around the swim area
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:20 | 05 miles | 10.23 mile/hr
Overall: 139/227
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: A mix of single and double track. Most of it smooth, but twisty. Some root sections and 1 downhill where the bottom had been "fixed" with a pile of wood chips. Kind of a scary spot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:44 | 03 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 179/227
Performance: Below average
Course: Uses the outer XC ski trail known as "skater's loop". Lots oh up and down sections. A tough run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series

2008-07-17 6:08 AM
in reply to: #1533344

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series

Nice job.  Being such a different venue and type of race, I would imagine the first try would just be about getting familiar with things.

It sounds like tons of fun though.  I love trail running!  It's a different type of workout than running on the road and it feels to me like different muscles are used.   

2008-07-17 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1535899

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
There's a steep downhill in mile 2 which hurts the quads something fierce. One you have to stutter step to get down. The kind of hill you'd avoid road running. But, there were really nicely set up rollers where your momentum carried you over the crest of the uphill.

I'm going to start some trail running b/c of the experience. Nice to get out of traffic.

BTW: Nice avitar pic: Great action shot!
2008-07-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1536030

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
I did this race for the first time on 7/1. Only my second tri.
There was no swim when i went (lightning) , but i absolutely loved the bike course.
Most fun i've had on my bike in years (maybe ever).

Can't wait to do it again. Probably this week (7/22).
2008-07-17 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

You're making me want to try an off-road tri now  

I developed a patented downhill running technique for steep, technical, downhill trails when I did the Cockaponsett race last year.  I raise my arms and let them flail for counterbalance while I just roll down the hill at full speed    I look like a crazy-woman, but I dig the silliness of it all and I feel like I keep my footing better without having to temper my speed.

2008-07-18 2:58 PM

User image

Elite
Nice race. Somehow I missed your report when you first posted it. For hating and being a chicken$hit mountain biker (your words) you did great out there on the trails. I love running them, but hate riding trails.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Winding Trails Offroad Tri Series Rss Feed