Team Magic
81F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 05m 20s
Overall Rank = 611/782
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 26/40
Pre-race routine:

Wake up call for 5am. Immediately had some coffee to get the gut moving for some "unloading"...didn't work. Out the door of hotel at 5:30 and just the short walk to transition area. I was the first one to the rack, and we were lucky to have an end rack, so I got the very end spot. Being a big guy I don't like feeling crowded, so end spots are good for me. Took my time setting up in transition, though I realized I'm a minimalist for my races, so set up is very quick and organized. It was nice having the bike shoes already on the bike...made for a less cluttered space.
Brett from NAMC was at my rack, so I talked to him a bit, then I stopped bothering him to just walk around the "village" and pier while sipping Gatorade. My bowels yelled to me at 6am, so a quick walk back to my hotel room to "unload" and I was good to go. Caught bus up to swim start field, and just hung around for 45 minutes.
Event warmup:

Hydrated and stretched while waiting. Some good people watching!
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I put 'good' for first 200m performance and drafting because I'd read up on swim drafting a bit before this race, and it just so happened I get a great triathlete in Brett starting right in front of me. So I was able to use some of this new knowledge to stay off of his right leg for 200m, then I couldn't keep his pace and dropped off. But it was fun while it lasted. I truely believe this is why I now have a new PR for the swim.
The wall of rain came down while I was going under the first bridge, so it was weird to sight into a rain storm.
I LOVED the stair exit this year as opposed to the past years of being pulled from the water.
What would you do differently?:

I don't practice swimming at all. 'nuff said
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I really liked the run through the tri 'village' right after the swim exit. The crowd gathered to cheer really made me feel good.
O.K. T1 was my biggest disappointment of the whole race. I'd gotten tri bike shoes about a month ago, and have been practicing getting them on and off while pedalling. Great. Well, after helmet and shades go on, I grab my bike to run with it AND IT SLIPS FROM MY HANDS, onto its side, and the left shoe pops out of the pedal. Shoit! I quickly assesed the situation, popped the right shoe out, put them on, and run like normal to the mount line a little bummed.
Now approaching the dismount line after the bike, I got them off of my feet easily, and ran through transition pretty easily. O.K.! That's what the shoes were made for, and I did it easily in a race. Happy me!

Not drop my bike!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 27s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this race compared to my performance last year ( I shaved 13 minutes off ). I thought I had trained properly. The rain didn't bother me. The only time I got a little scared was hitting 45.5 mph on that last downhill with a truck to my right. But all in all I had a great bike experience.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I pulled on socks to battle blisters with the wet shoes, so a little slower for that. But the tip by ADollar to clip visor onto my race # belt worked great! I was off quickly.

On a dry day...no socks.
Run
  • 1h 09m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite some racers bitching about the stairs, I really like this course. Its relatively flat, and with the rain there were no shade issues. Overall running is my worst part, and my time shows it. However, I barely walked, and finished smiling. So I'm getting better.

Two words: BRICK WORKOUTS
Post race
Warm down:

Awesome post-race spread! Pizza, BBQ, and fantastic BEER!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ah...my body.

Event comments:

Team Magic did a GREAT job! I'll do this race for as long as I possibly can. Great spectator involvement. NAMC cheering was inspiring.
I love Chattanooga!

Last updated: 2008-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/782
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Feet-first jump in, individual interval start. Straight swim down the river with buoys on our right.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:27 | 26.1 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back mostly along the highway. Moderate hills.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:09:37 | 06.21 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with one section up a long shallow hill then up some stairs. There is one murder hill to contend with, but I walked it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-16 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1534018

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Great job TJ! I didn't realize that you were hanging on my feet, glad I could help you out. I didn't have the same luck..no feet for me!

Run fitness and pacing are just as important as bricks in order to run well off the bike. Good luck with the rest of your season.

2008-07-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1534018

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Awesome race.. 13 minutes off bike time from last year is a great improvement. Considering the rain, well even better.

I actually liked the stairs too. I like variations on run courses. In my opinion, there are not enough of them,
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed