Team Magic
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 53m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 108/163
Pre-race routine:

Woke up in the Atl, Rivi came over, loaded up, and hit the road for Chattanooga.. at 4:00am. Stopped for a quick Starbucks.
Event warmup:

Normal pre race hustle and bustle.
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average swim. I've devoted little time to swim training this year. Evident compared to others.
What would you do differently?:

Train more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Decent T1. Bad bike mount, in that it was not fluid enough.

Dunno. It is what it is. Time was ok considering how long Transition was.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 50s
  • 26 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

First flat ever. Race was going well to this point. I lost a lot of time here. I actually decided to DNF and wait for SAG, but somehow talked myself into trying to fix the flat again, and getting back out there. It worked..

Flat Scenario.. for future ref.

1. Hit pot hole, flatted immediately.
2. Stopped, layed bike on 45 degree angle, contents of aero bottle spilled everywhere.
3. Could not get rear tire off. Felt like I had to bend things to get it off, but refused to do that.
4. Figured out that I needed to get chain off front big ring in order to get rear tire off. Proved difficult cause rear tire was half off already. Couln't just turn the pedals and shift the gear. Took chain all the way off front rings with my hands.. (lots of grease)
5. Rear tire was still difficult to remove.. note: Felt B12. Need to find out trick here.
6. Got tire off, removed old tube, put in new tube, put tire back on. Went to fill with air, no valve. Removed half of tire, looked and saw valve laying flat on the wheel. Removed more tire, picked up tube, and inserted valve. Replaced tire, filled with air.
7. Tire bulged over the side of wheel in two locations.
8. Determined that this was a lost cause and waited for SAG.
9. Got bored and tried again. released old air, adjusted tube, refilled with last air cartridge, and everything looked good.
10. Tried to put rear wheel back on. Was as difficult as getting the wheel off the bike.
11. Wheel is back on, but crooked. Looked for the cause. Ready to give up again. Found that rear brake was forcing the wheel over to the left. Adjusted the brake, then wheel was on straight.
12.. took a deep breath, got on bike, and back into the race. Total time lost was 20 plus minutes. I didn't time it. All I know is that total bike time on my watch was 30 minutes when I started back up.. and I was only at mile 3.

I hammered the rest of the bike. Knew I was out of the race, so didn't care if I blew out my legs. Wanted to see how hard I could push on those hills.

Then the rainstorm. Awesome experience. Top 3 tri experience for me.

Avoid Pot Holes. Not Flat.. and most important, really learn how to change my rear tire on this particular bike. I did it on my old bike with no problem.. here? Not so much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Was worried about my camcorder in my Transition bag, so took some time to check that, then further secure it from the rain. Other than that, I was not really racing so I was more deliberate.

Nothing. T's are getting better for me.
Run
  • 47m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. I was running angry at this point. More cause I wanted to be angry, then that I actually was angry. I wanted to push myself psychologically, and I think I suceeded. Sometimes you need to take yourself to dark places to find out what your made of. Not saying 47:49 makes me special, but I didn't quit on myself, and for that, I am proud. Came close on the bike, but I didn't quit.

Nothing.. run faster. I can, and will. The simple difference now between me and minutes, is losing weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to NAMC area, chatted with the Bachmann's, chatted with some others, then pretty much wrapped it up. Wanted to get on the road. I was tired, and a lil crabby. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ummm flat tires kill races. other than that, lack of swim training on the swim and 173 lbs instead of 160 lbs.. which is where I should be if I want to be faster.

Event comments:

Always one of the best. It's a few very small things away from a 5 from me, so I'll give it a 4. Either way, it's a keeper on my schedule. This was my 3rd year in a row.

Last updated: 2008-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/163
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: BT Tri uni.
Course: Point to Point in the Tenn. River. Under three bridges, to the left of orange bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:34:50 | 26 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly Freeway, out and back. Long Grinders. Some steep fast descents.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:49 | 06.21 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the river. Some wooden path, and a couple hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-16 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1534926

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
I think that's awesome that you just kept trying.  There were times I wondered if I'd finish, thinking maybe the storms wouldn't quit, but we persevered.  Nice job!!
2008-07-16 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
All I can say is how impressed I am that you fixed the flat and kept going. I wonder how many people would have given up? Thanks for detailing it in the report for all to read.
Your experience is very inspiring.

2008-07-17 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I said before, I think it's awesome you didn't just accept the badness. It's not like you to give up and you proved it once again by getting back on your bike and even more admirably kept racing. Nice job. On to the next...
2008-07-17 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I have to disagree with all the hug and kiss posts above. It took you 20 plus minutes to change a flat? I guess you didn't want to break a nail.

Actually, I'm sorry you were one of the 40 people to get a flat. It was just your unlucky day. The 47 min 10k is very strong.

2008-07-21 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Cranky. Very cranky. I can feel the crankiness oozing out of you.

Crank-grats.

H.

....it's all about perserverance and crankiness anyway.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed