Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 54m 55s
Overall Rank = 582/1010
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/44
Pre-race routine:

Nutrition: 1 waffle w/PB; Water
Event warmup:

Arm circles to loosen up the shoulders, as I was a little nervous about them bothering me on the swim. Nothing else.
Swim
  • 29m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was better than I expected - yeah! Felt good, no shoulder pain. Arms did feel a little more fatigued by the end, which was probably due to the reduced swimming this month. Navigation seemed good and I didn't hit the wall this year (where the current reversed directions last year).

2007 Time: 31:31
What would you do differently?:

I just need more time in the water!
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

World's longest transition. Went all around the world to get to my bike and back, not very good rack position, but oh well! Did the best I could with it.

2007 Time: 1:10

I would like to work on running faster out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 26.41 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an interesting ride. Started out pretty good, got up to speed quickly and got myself ready for the onslaught of hills. Well, I remembered this course as a lot worse than it was, so that was a fantastic surprise. Before the skies opened up, I was having a lot of fun on the course, chatting with people a bit as we climbed the slow hills. My aero bottle did come out of the velcro and I decided I wasn't going to stop this time. Somehow I managed to thread it back through and reattach it without stopping. Then my bike started making a wierd noise when climbing. I thought it was the brake, so I opened the brake release, but that didn't help. I tried moving the brake pads around, no luck. I finally decided I needed to stop and check it - it wasn't the brakes though, so my knowledge was exhausted. I just decided to hope I wasn't damaging my bike and kept going.

Then it happened. The sky completely opened up! I was going down hill and could NOT see - I mean AT ALL! I tried taking off my glasses, but then the pressure of the rain made it worse. I had to slow down a lot to be able to see where I was going and not crash into anything. Did drop my chain climbing a hill at the end - sheesh! I was really working on the adaptating theory today and didn't let it bother me - stopped, fixed, go.

2007 Time: 1:33:53

I can't control the weather, so my reduced speed on the way back was inevitable. Probably need to get my bike looked at before the next race, though.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Uh - oops, I passed my bike!! :) I tried to go back in the opposite direction that I left, so I can rack my bike and duck under the rack, but that was probably stupid without practicing in the morning, because I passed my rack. :) Other than that - good.

2007 Time: 1:26

Either practice in the morning or rack normally
Run
  • 56m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I remembered the bike course as harder than it was - the run course I remembered as easier than it was. My goal was to try to hit around 8:45s (based on my open HM time), but I lost energy the last two miles. I was happy with my effort, though, I pushed as much as I could and this is the second Oly in a row that I was able to actually run - my tri run issues are over. Now I'm just going to focus on getting my times down to where they should be.

2007 Time: 1:02:46

I think my energy could have run out due to calories - I had only 1 waffle this morning, I think I usually have two.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found the tent, recovery drink, and cheering on the rest of the racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather conditions on the bike slowed me down a bit, but overall I feel good about this race. I paid attendion to myself and pushed as much as I could - had a lot of fun too!

2007 Time: 3:10:50

Event comments:

I liked this race a lot better this year - I think I was more prepared for the course this year. I would still ilke to see the bike course moved off the highway, but otherwise it's a good race. Just be ready for some long, slow hills on the bike.

Last updated: 2008-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/44
Overall: 0/1010
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point-to-point in the river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:27 | 26.41 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/44
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on the highway.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:09 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/44
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-19 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1542096

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Good job adapting on the bike, between the weather and the course it was the right day to be at adapting.  Very glad that your Oly run issues are all gone.  congratulations for dropping 16 minutes from your 2007 time, that's huge.  Great job!
2008-07-22 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice race HB. Isn't it bizzare how races change from year to year.. mentally. I breezed through Gulf Coast last year, and this year it seemed impossible to me. Heh. Glad the bike course seemed easier. Just means you are stronger is all, and that's always good.
2008-07-22 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Your bike leg was very strong, even with the weird noise, the rain, the bottle coming loose and dropping the chain. Way to go! I'll bet you could have used some more calories for the run. Even if just for the feel-good effect.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed