Subaru Triathlon Series & Trisport Canada
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 25s
Overall Rank = 173/466
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/62
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, showered and had some cereal and made some toast to eat on the drive. Headed out the door and was on my way. It was throwing down the rain, and I started to wonder if the race would get cancelled - or at least the swim, since visibility was bad.
Event warmup:

Once I got to the race, the rain stopped, and I got setup and went for a quick bike ride, came back, checked everything was in place and then suited up for the swim.

Noted that there was a mini mud river in the middle of the transition from all the rain which become a small factor later.
Swim
  • 17m 41s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim continues to be my achilles heal - and to make matters worse they added 50M just before the beginning of the race. At my last race I started in the middle of the pack and really got the benefit of being in a big group. This time I got stuck over in a lot of open water by myself, and once we were in the choppy water I was having a tough time. Couldn't find any feet, and got caught by the next wave only 1/2 way through the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay with the pack more and benefit from drafting - I also got run over quite a bit this time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Transition went fairly well, but I got to my bike to find that someone had knocked my glasses, helmet and race number on the ground and I had to pick it all up.

Started to head out of transition and jumped over the mud river that had formed, and luckily looked down to find that my Garmin had fallen off my bike. Had to stop and go back and find it in the mud - luckily it was ok, and I don't think I lost more than 30 seconds going back.

Make sure the computer is clipped onto the bracket - this is how my last one ended up under the wheel of a truck.
Bike
  • 42m 14s
  • 25 kms
  • 35.52 km/hr
Comments:

This was a smoking fast bike. The organizers cancelled the big hill climb due to the rain, and we instead rode on a pancake flat route. I felt I was doing a good pace at the beginning, but the same as the first race I was getting passed constantly. I tried to pick up the pace a little, but was still getting beaten by everyone (at least it felt that way).

Once we made the turnaround we had a slight wind behind us and were flying, and that's when I caught a pack of riders. I ended up behind them and enjoyed the draft for a moment before trying to pull ahead - 30 seconds later I was in the middle of the group again. They were going so much faster as a mini peleton that I couldn't break free. I tried a couple of more times but just kept getting reeled in, so I ended up riding with this group for about the last 7-8km, which I'm sure helped my average speed.

Even thought this was a blazing fast ride for me, it was only middle of the pack in terms of speed. Really shows just how fast people were moving on this route.

Not much. Really need to get faster and stronger on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

This transition felt like it went really well. I ended up with mud covered feet coutesy of the mini mud river, and took a second to wipe off some of the excess, but I definetly needed to clean out my shoes when I got home.

Again - didn't take the time to wear the Garmin.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 33s  min/km
Comments:

Started out slow on the run, and all I could think about for the first 2 km was stopping and finding a bush so I could pee. I'd been holding it since the beginning of the swim (just couldn't go in my suit). Once I got to the 3km mark my pace started to pickup, but I only caught down one other runner in my AG. People were really flying, and even though I ran the fastest that I've managed for a race so far, it was only good enough for MOP.

Not much. Was in some discomfort cause I really needed to pee, but wasn't thinking about it much for the last 1/2 of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a little bit, got some snacks - and then hit McDonalds afterwards. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really need to work on the swim, and try to find a little extra pain threshold on the bike (even though my HR said I was already maxed out).

Event comments:

Really liked the race, but it would have been interesting to ride the "Beast of the East" hill since I tend to do a little better going up.

Last updated: 2008-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:41 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/62
Overall: 272/466
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Swam along the shore, then turned out into the open water, back across and then back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:14 | 25 kms | 35.52 km/hr
Age Group: 32/62
Overall: 163/466
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat - out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:52 | 07 kms | 04m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 30/62
Overall: 143/466
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, around some residential streets. Pretty flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Niagara Triathlon

2008-07-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1545785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Niagara Triathlon
Great job Neil!  Your bike and run times are amazing! 
2008-07-21 2:12 PM

User image

Hey speed demon!! Great Job on this Tri!! You would have smoked me!

Kristina
2008-07-21 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nice job Neil, you look blazing fast to me! Glad you didn't lose the Garmin in the mud!
2008-07-21 8:16 PM

Veteran
Idaho
Neil ,great times on the race, you rock ! Glad you saved the Garmin from the mud bath
2008-07-22 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Nice race!

2008-07-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1548403

User image

Master
TORONTO
Thanks for sharing your report!  I did the Try-a-Tri after yours and you can imagine the condition of the transition area by that time - I don't know whether to clean or just throw out my sneakers   *So* muddy!  My swim was brutal being my first open water swim but it was fun.  Maybe next year I'll make it to the real tri but I'll be at the back of the pack ha ha!  Your speeds are really impressive.  Congrats! 
2008-07-22 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Great job, and great time - you're right, that was super competitive!

Congrats!

Awesome new avatar! Cool

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niagara Triathlon Rss Feed