United States
Korff Enterprises
96?F / 0C
Total Time = 2h 56m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 78/261
Pre-race routine:

Lots and lots of walking. and money. Drove up Saturday, got to expo. Really funny RD. the best line--don't bring your blackberry, YOU'RE NOT THAT IMPORTANT. Gosh, every race this year I've had an odd number. Whats up with that? Only there for 2 hours, $30 for parking. yikes!!! Somehow despite my tom tom not working I found my hotel. I was staying with my friends from masters Arne and his son Anders who both did the race and Laura, Arne's wife. We had to walk the bikes over and decided to grab dinner at the awesome riverside cafe (money sandwiches!). Headed back to the hotel (god it was hot!!!) and tried to watch some Telemundo (even in our nice hotel, that was the only channel. Pretty funny hearing spanish, then RFK Stadium and DC United).
Event warmup:

Up and at them at 4 am. What was so cool was seeing so many people up at this hour!! They were all out from the night before. What a city. It was sooooo hot this morning, we were sweating from our 20 min walk over. I got separated from my group and spent the morning alone, and freaked out upon seeing 6 inch in diameter Portugese Man o'wars in the water! Holy Crap.
Swim
  • 18m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really happy with this swim, despite the conditions. Don't know overall yet, but my mom said I was something like 12th in my age group. You jump in and try to hold onto this rope, but the rope was too low (dumb chicks were sitting on it). I couldn't keep my head above the water, so I tried to hold on with a leg. If you didn't, you got pulled away, the current was that strong (althought I laugh at strong. I laugh at any current after doing Alcatraz). Then the jellyfish started right away, all over the place. It was the microscopic kind, that just went all over. I had some in my nose! It was really painful. had one chick kick me in the face and move my goggles. It was also uber choppy! Not a smooth swim at all, really kind of difficult. I was trying not to swallow anything, but that was impossible. Passed lots of girls in the wave before me. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wasn't ready for salt water, don't know why I didn't expect that. Oh, and wear some vaseline or wear my long sleeve suit. I had a beard when I came out of the water. :)
Transition 1
  • 07m 28s
Comments:

Awful!!! It is the strangest set up. 2 transition areas, about 1000 ft apart. I was of course in the one further away. We had to run barefoot and it was not the smoothest road, so my feet were really torn up. I took my time to organize my stuff. I think the time is so long from all the running. Plus there was a REALLY long transition on the bike to the actual road to ride on.

shoes. This really hurt later on when doing the running part.
Bike
  • 1h 27m
  • 26.75 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

They lie on that distance. I changed it to my computer, which was reset. Us Yellow Transitioners had to go that extra 1000 ft twice the red guys didn't have to. My legs took awhile to wake up. I'd only barely used my legs all week, so this was rough at first. WAAAAAAAY too many team in training people that DON'T know the rules. Guys, you have to stay to the right. after you pass, you move to the right. And to be fair, it wasn't just them, but there were a lot of them that you had to yell at b /c it got so dangerous on the downhills. People wouldn't move over and in the Bronx I reached 40 mph on a hill. At that point, you don't have a lot of time to react, and I was terrified of getting killed b/c of some newbie swerving. I was shocked by all the hills in the Bronx, some really big ones!! But they were fun, and I enjoyed my "self-guided tour of NY". Especially going through the EZpass. that made me giggle. I wanted to give a high-five to the toll guy.

nothing....I did ok. and I was really happy to see not many bikes on the racks. :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Much better this time, but you really had to go slowly once you got near transition. It was single file, and some DC tri club girl was trying to pass me. Not smart, chick. As the race D said, that is NOT the place to go fast, its too narrow and curvy. Those kind of people make me mad. You have to be safe, not stupid. Wouldn't a crash cost you a lot more time? just go slow. It only takes about 30 more seconds.
Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was ecstatic with this run. Not during it, mind you. It sucked. BIG TIME. I was annoyed I forgot my camera, so no pix this time...but I was just so happy to be able to run! My calf was fine! My lungs? Thats another story. We had to run down 72nd street for a mile, and that was boiling hot. There were TONS of people. I so wanted to walk, it was so stifling, but I made myself just shuffle. Just keep shuffling, just keep shuffling....lo and behold, a ten minute mile! Better than the 15s I was predicting! It was better when we got to the park, but I never realized there were hills!!! Oy vey were there hills. But what I loved most was all the runners that were just running in the park in the opposite direction cheering us on. they were so supportive. Even at 8:30, the humidity was terrible. I couldn't breathe, at all. Just wanted to walk. I told myself, only at the water stops for 30 seconds....

Oh, WORST "supportive" statement ever. We were just starting, and this woman yells "You're almost done!". Uh, no???? We're not?? We have 6 miles to go!!! I hate those people. And the "you're almost there" people when I'm at mile 3. You are NOT helping!!!

took water at almost every stop (did I mention I left all my nutrition in the car at the garage?). Just prayed to get done. Finally heard the speaker, poured it on and passed about 5 people in the chute. :)
Post race
Warm down:

What a mess. I found a stretching place where someone stretched you out, then got a massage. I had NO IDEA how to get back to transition. We were over a mile away. I asked about 10 people, they would say, just head to the west end of the park. Uh, I'm not from here. Do I look like I have a compass? Can you please just give me directions?? After ambling around for 30 minutes, I finally saw a whole crew of people walking down 72nd street. Success. Saddest thing was seeing men still running at 11 am. That HAD to be hot...I hope they finished. I was soooo glad to see my bike! The post race food sucked so I went back to the Riverside cafe and had the world's greatest cheeseburger. then had to walk ANOTHER mile back to hotel. yikes. Took a shower and drove home. 5 hours in traffic. I was so tired.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat!!! and as usual, genetics and terrible biomechanics. :)

Event comments:

I wouldn't recommend this race. Seriously, for a non-new yorker, the logistics are terrible. I had a much better time even with flying my bike and renting cars. This was just really stressful and a lot of money. It didn't help being by myself either, or the heat, or the jellyfish. Maybe if you are from NYC or live there, you'd love it. I did love running in central park but getting lost going back to transition? I just think they really needed to help us out of towners a little more, and possibly helping us with parking at the expo.
Oh, did I mention I saw Andy Baldwin, the bachelor? My mom is so funny. she kept comparing my times to Andy Potts and Andy Baldwin. She was amazed that I wasn't much off of the bachelor. :) And I told Andy Potts that since he was at my last 3 races, he must be stalking me. :) he's really tall! and a super nice guy. I LOVE doing these uber big races....the chance to see all of my "heroes" of triathlon, like Emma Snowsill, Greg Bennett, Craig Alexander, Becky Lavelle, Simon Whitfield, Matt Reed, and of course, Andy Potts. :)

Last updated: 2007-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/261
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:00 | 26.75 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2008-07-21 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1546710

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Ugh, yeah, this race always seemed like a PITA to me. You totally rocked it though!!!
2008-07-21 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Uh .... what!?  You didn't mention that you MET Andy Potts!  Well, you did a fabulous job, darling.  You always make the best of your races.  Your description of the run is funny, as usual.  This doesn't sound like the best race to do, though.
2008-07-22 7:19 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville

For someone who says they doesn't like to write race reports, you're pretty damn good at them. 

Nice job out there.  oy vey! 

2008-07-22 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Nice job, this sounds a lot like my experience a couple of years ago, minus the jellyfish. I had no idea they were in the Hudson. And yeah, that Riverside Cafe, if it is the same one I am thinking about, is great.

Congrats!

2008-07-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1547999

User image

Elite

my race reports are as much for me as for you.

and a catalog of all my random thoughts in my head.  this would actually be the tape recording of what I was thinking.  oh, and maybe on the run:  this sucks. this sucks. this really effing sucks!  hey, cute dog! this sucks!

2008-07-23 8:23 AM

User image

Hey -- nice race, despite the oddball transitions, hilly courses, and heat -- go Turtle!!

Nice job.

I always like how you find humor in these things. Cracks me up.

2008-07-23 8:26 AM

Nice race, despite a gross race place. Yeah, I wouldn't consider swimming the Hudson - ever. Good job meeting Andy Potts
2008-07-23 9:08 AM

User image

Elite

Another funny Andy Baldwin story. 

This chick yelled to him, " Hi Andy!" to which he replied, hi.  

She yelled back, "Hey Andy, you still engaged?"

He replied, "no, I'm totally single now."

My thoughts, "Really??? hmm, but I don't think I could get over that whole Marla Maples affair. yuk."

Like I'd have a chance with a Ken doll.

2008-07-26 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Funny stuff there Turtlegirl.  Congrats on the great race despite the conditions and the creatures.
2008-07-26 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job.  I would not want to be stung by jellyfish.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed