Chelan Multisport Group
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 48s
Overall Rank = 26/101
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Had my 1/2 Bagel w/ Peanut Butter, Bannana, Coffee, and Trip to Outhouse! Also chatted it up w/ Friends, Family, etc....
Event warmup:

???
Swim
  • 35m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a great swim. I was worried about the swim due to the whitecaps, and lack of OWS this year (especially w/ whitecaps)!

I was able to find a nice spot in the water just to the left of the line (underwater). I wanted to be able to work on my spotting, and not just rely on the line under water. About 10 minutes into the swim, I look to my right, and there is Jeff, so I jumped in behind him, and followed his feet until we hit the turn around.

On the way back, IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO SPOT (due to the sun in my face!), so I sat on Jeff's feet again, and let him take me home. However about 3-4 minutes in I noticed a sailboat off to my left, and ending up seeing a yellow bouy, so I took a left turn and hit that bouy.... When I got there I stopped, and noticed NO ONE AROUND me, and wondered if I had gotten off course? Oh well.... I kept swimming, and I saw that there was a line under water, and due to the sun..... I WAS ALL OVER THAT LINE!!! Made that swim back a little easier!!

BUT MAN DID I FEEL LIKE I WAS SWIMMING FOREVER! Overall I was pleased w/ how I felt considering how much (or little) I have it the open water this year....

I AM GOING SHOPPING FOR A NEW WETSUIT THIS WEEK... Zipper fell off this weekend, holes it in! It is time.
What would you do differently?:

Not follow my Brother in law for so long... He got me off course, but I had no choice! I knew he was drafting off someone in front of him....
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

No issues here! I felt good about this time!
Bike
  • 3h 12m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to improve on my biking skills.... I just don't like the bike... It was tough test mentally all day for me!! Just kept my head in the game!!

Work on my biking...
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

This was good! A minute is good for me, especially since I had to put on my socks!!
Run
  • 1h 59m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was extremely please with this run.... I didn't expect to run the whole race to due my chest issues, but I had great support out there. My friend at T2 told me to run my race, and so I just started running, and maintained a steady pace from mile 1 to mile 13.... I didn't even stop for the water stations! Grabbed my water, and sponges on the fly. This was a very good test for me mentally! Each mile get to the next mile, etc.... Then there was only 2 miles left and so on!

I can't complain! I was shooting for a sub 2 and I succeeded....
Post race
Warm down:

I litterally took my shoes, shirt, and glasses off, and went to lay in the lake! I was so heavenly! All my family and friends were standing on shore trying to talk to me, and I was just in heaven in the cold lake! Then I went under water, and felt like a whole new man!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ya know this was a good race for me.... It was a PR by 45 minutes or so, and granted there was not a ton of people that did this race, so the results a "skewed" but I am extremely pleased with my PERFORMANCE! The only thing I tried to do is keep SOME in the tank (to prep for Ironman Canada).... This was definitely not a pace I could maintain for 2x the distance but don't feel sore at all, so I suppose I did pretty good?!

Event comments:

This is great Race, and Lake Chelan is a great area!!!!!! I would recommend this race to anyone, and everyone! It will be a BIG race someday! It is only in it's 2nd year.....

Last updated: 2008-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 17/101
Performance: Good
HR was High... Sitting up around 162 for the entire swim, but the water was white caps, and I needed to get through the swim!
Suit: Full Ocra Predator
Course: Clockwise- Rectangle type swim... Could not see on the way back to shore! SUN IN MY FACE!!!
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:12:11 | 56 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 34/101
Performance: Average
HR up there again... 164 average, and I struggled w/ Nutrition! I had the burps! I am not sure what caused this, but it stopped taking my Infinit, and switched to water, and hammer gel.... Just took more Hammer, and less Infinit!
Wind: Headwind
Course: I absolutely love biking in Chelan, and it was an out and back followed by a loop course.... My computer also said it was 2700 feet of climbing, and average temp was 87 degree's (all according to the Polar CS 400).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:39 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 27/101
Average HR was 178 for this! HOLY CRAP!
Course: This was an out and back course with ZERO, ZILCH, NO SHADE! It was warm! However they had aid stations every mile, with ICE COLD SPONGES!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: Chelan Man Multisport weekend

2008-07-21 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1546815

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Chelan Man Multisport weekend

GREAT JOB! (I know you love the caps...Laughing)

Nice on the PR.

2008-07-21 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

You had an awesome race!  All of that hard training definitely paid off.  You know, I got lost on the swim too.  I thought I was on course, but then couldn't really tell because of the sun and there wasn't really anyone around me.  And then I found the buoy line again - yay!  But the entire race I was thinking, "did I accidentally cut the course?"  When I saw my time it was obvious that I hadn't...

Can't wait to see you rock IM!!!

2008-07-21 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Excellent race Steve!!
2008-07-22 1:27 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Impressive race! You make it sound so easy!   Congratsulations!
2008-07-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1547866

User image

Pro

NightOwl - 2008-07-21 11:27 PM Impressive race! You make it sound so easy!   Congratsulations!

It wasn't easy, I am just a good liar! !!

2008-07-23 11:25 PM

User image

Pro
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chelan Man Multisport weekend Rss Feed