Champ Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 20s
Overall Rank = 56/87
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30am. Did not sleep the best! Prerace nerves and the unknown were lurking. Went to breakfast at the hotel. I had a bagel with peanut butter, english muffin with eggs and cheese in it, a bananna and water!
Event warmup:

Set up my transition and helped my wife with her stuff! Had a bananna at 7:30am
Swim
  • 15m
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started out great! I was bilateral breathing well, but was still having trouble sighting. Once when I went to take a breathe, I noticed the guy beside me was standing up. I quickly stood up and walked through the water as fast as I could for 25M or so. After that things got interesting for me! I had a guy to my left that was new to open water swimming and sighting. He would bounce off of me and hit someone else then bounce off them and come back to me. I felt like a bumper in a pinball machine. After the turn, I started to lose focus and then sighting was getting screwed up. I then started to side crawl to refocus and get my breathing back under control. It worked and I finished like I started with the freestyle!
What would you do differently?:

Practice more OWS and sighting. Not eat the bananna at 7:30am. I was burpping the bananna during the swim!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had to give the swim cap up getting out of the water. They were recording the numbers to double check the body count! I slipped into my pre TA shoes and MTB Gloves and started up the 300yd hill/climb to the TA. Used the run up the hill time to put on the gloves!!! I had no problem in the TA. Helmet, camelback and mtb socks and shoes.

Nothing!!
Bike
  • 1h 29m
  • 11 miles
  • 7.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I was set for the MTB since we had done 2 prerides. I started out good. Their was a young gun blowing by me in the begining when you drop in to the single track. I told him to watch out for the first turn. As you can guess, over the bars he went!! He said that he was OK. I found my legs after 3/4 of a mile or so. I was happy with my pace on the whole course. I made it through the first rock garden which did a lot for my confidence. I ejected half way through the 2nd one and walked through the 3rd which was 75 yards long! I only wiped out 3 times and they were all minor front wheel wash outs. I joined the yellow sock club on the last 1/4 of the course. The snowmobile paths were smooth enough to allow it. I had to go really bad :-) On the last 400 yards, I got my feet out of my shoes and was ready to dismount at the transition. I used 2 Gu's on the bike.

MTB some more on harder trails! Learn some more about navigating the Rock Gardens. I've only been MTBing for 3 months!! I felt like I did AWESOME for my skill level on the MTB.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The rack almost tipped over when I went to put my bike on it. I was the first back on my rack. I felt great at this TA. My hydration was good off the bike. Put on my shoes and grabed my race belt and was off.

Get lace locks for shoes possibly!
Run
  • 45m 20s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out of the TA down a hill then up then up some more. The climb was really rocky the first 3/4 of a mile. Coming down off the hill was smooth. I took a water at the aid station at mile 1.2 and then had a GU. I did some walks up some of the hills on the last 2 miles or so. I could hear people cheering in the distance which helped me pick up my pace. I was sad at the gu wrappers I was seeing on the run. Please who litter SUCK!! Carry it with you! I came out of the woods towards the finish and saw my son and friends and family! What a boost for the last 200yds.

Possibly carried a little gel/ water flask for the last 1-2 miles I could have used it for a boost!
Post race
Warm down:

Got some gatorade,a bagel and some pretzels. Had a BIG hug from my son and relatives. Cheered on my buddy Jason and my wife. I was so proud of her!!! She broke her elbow 10 weeks ago MTBing training for this race with me. We are both new to MTBing. I took 3rd place in my AG and she took 2nd in her AG!! This was jason, my wife and my 1st Tri!! I am addicted for sure...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More OWS and longer bricks of bike to run!

Event comments:

This was a great inagural Xterra race! The first time Xterra has been to Ohio. The MTB course was right on the money. I would like to see chip timing next year and more pizza at the end. They ran out really fast! I will definately travel back to Ohio for this race next year. I would encourage all Xterra people or any one curious of off road tri's to look at this race next year!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:00 | 800 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/87
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: The course was a out and back clockwise course!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:29:00 | 11 miles | 7.42 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Single track and snowmobile trails
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:20 | 04.5 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: All single track trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-22 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Xterra O.N.E.

2008-07-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1548652

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Xterra O.N.E.

Great race and congrats on your first tri!!! Keep up the mountain biking. You have a great attitude, and if you stick with it you will get better. But hey, crashing is all part of the game, right?

Sounds like it was a great race. Welcome to XTERRA!

2008-07-24 8:34 AM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Congrats on the Xterra Race. Youll love them if you continue doing them. I love playing Pong during the swim..

As P said Welcome!!
2008-08-19 1:20 PM

User image

Wow, it's sounds like you had a lot of fun!  I can only hope I have as much fun during my first X-terra  

Great Job!

2008-08-19 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-20 1:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Great Job, especially since you've been riding the mtb for only 3 months.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra O.N.E. Rss Feed