General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Total Time = 1h 15m 35s
Overall Rank = 223/1027
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 14/49
Swim
  • 13m 25s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out feeling great... then I swallowed some water. I just couldn't get it back after that point. Just wanted to get out of the water and get on the bike. I was out of breath but I wasn't tired in the least and I was looking forward to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Practice, Practice, Practice! Just made a deal with my buddy's GF last night to trade swim lessons for cycling lessons.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

T1 was fine but the transitions area was HUGE! With both a sprint and an olympic using the same transition area there were over 2000 participants. Actually amazingly organized. Someone two bikes down had put a ballon on their rack so it was easy to find my bike but I struggled with my socks... still riding and running with socks. My dogs aren't ready for bare foot tri's just yet. I actually passed a lot of people running through transition. It kind of made me feel uneasy like I was doing something wrong so I backed off a little... I guess people in transition are still fair game right?
Bike
  • 33m 28s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok... where to begin. Realized last Thursday night (3 days before this event) that my racing bike had a cracked steered tube. Surprising both myself and my wife... I DID NOT HAVE A MELTDOWN. I grabbed my Trek 7.5 fitness out of shed and gave her a tune-up. Swapped out the saddle and took it for a test ride. Not bad but this bike is at least 10 lbs heavier than my Tarmac and geared differently. Not a slow bike but not as fast and different. It is what it is. My time is not bad for the circumstances but I could've done better. My swim slow and I was in the 7th wave so I speant my entire ride passing people. I can't think of a stretch where I wasn't passing someone. At times this was frustrating because we got 3-wide or someone would be hogging the left side of the lane but it was fun. I just hope to improve next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This was a huge transition area with over 2000 competitors. Just took a while to get from dismount to my rack. This was my first time riding on top of my shoes and jumping off a moving bike during the race. It was surprisingly efficient but I think I bruised my left forefoot a little. Overall it went well. I will continue to practice this as I believe it is a huge advantage.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a PR for me in the run leg. After a couple minutes everything started to flow. The first half of the run felt effortless so I decided to turn it on for the last half and sprint the last 50 yards to the finish. I don't know if I could've gone faster or not but I was definitely holding back chunks when I crossed the finish line. There were a ton of kids volunteering and all I could envision was me throwing up on a group of kids. I worked my way out of the crowd and got my stomach to settle. It was a good run.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder on the first 1/2.
Post race
Warm down:

Short stretch and some water. Grabbed the complimentary lunch and wen to sit in the shade. I came solo to this event so I ended up talking with a couple families waiting for their athletes to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If anything it's still my lack of confidence in the water. I think a good swim would give me the adrenalyn to do everything else even better.

Event comments:

I would say was a great race and worth the travel (3 hours each way for me). I hope to come back next yea and bring some friends to participate with me.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:25 | 500 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 38/49
Overall: 738/1027
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: One left turn
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:28 | 11.5 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/49
Overall: 161/1027
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat course... one loop. Good roads for the most part.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/49
Overall: 199/1027
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1562797

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Hey Scott, this looks like a pretty good race.  I can't tell if you thought so or not.  It certainly seems to be an improvement from your last race.

(I'd also trade my 7/20 final run time for yours)

2008-07-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1563776

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-07-28 9:55 AM

Hey Scott, this looks like a pretty good race.  I can't tell if you thought so or not.  It certainly seems to be an improvement from your last race.

(I'd also trade my 7/20 final run time for yours)

Thanks Tom.  It was a good race and a great venue.  My swim was aweful but the bike was good considering I was on a hybrid backup bike I hadn't ridden in over a year.  My run was a triathlon PR.

2008-07-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1567224

User image

Extreme Veteran
shaggy28 - 2008-07-29 12:52 PM

Hey Scott, this looks like a pretty good race. I can't tell if you thought so or not. It certainly seems to be an improvement from your last race.

(I'd also trade my 7/20 final run time for yours)

Thanks Tom. It was a good race and a great venue. My swim was aweful but the bike was good considering I was on a hybrid backup bike I hadn't ridden in over a year. My run was a triathlon PR.

Great Run and Bike, Scott. Bummer about the swim but I know that the marathon training has kept you out of the pool a bit. So, when do you get the bike back? We need to schedule a weekend ride followed by some very cold beers ;-)
2008-07-30 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1569232

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Concretechris - 2008-07-30 9:25 AM
shaggy28 - 2008-07-29 12:52 PM

Hey Scott, this looks like a pretty good race. I can't tell if you thought so or not. It certainly seems to be an improvement from your last race.

(I'd also trade my 7/20 final run time for yours)

Thanks Tom. It was a good race and a great venue. My swim was aweful but the bike was good considering I was on a hybrid backup bike I hadn't ridden in over a year. My run was a triathlon PR.

Great Run and Bike, Scott. Bummer about the swim but I know that the marathon training has kept you out of the pool a bit. So, when do you get the bike back? We need to schedule a weekend ride followed by some very cold beers ;-)

Ha!  Definitely!  I got my first chance to take it into the shop yesterday.  No surprises as I had already talked to them over the phone.  They'll give the bike a once over and contact Specialized's warranty department.  The fork is under a lifetime warranty so if Specialized accepts the claim I should have it back sometime next week.  It's just an odd place to crack.  The placement of the crack would scream "overtightening" but no one has wrenched that part of the bike since they put together a year ago.  My LBS is a "Specialized Concept Store" so they have a tighter relationship with Specialized than a standard LBS so hopefully that works to my advantage because I would hate to pay for a new fork.

BUT, when I do get it back we'll definitely plan a ride.  Got any plans in late August?     

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed