General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 49s
Overall Rank = 251/1027
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45 from the thunder. It was constant thunder and lightening up until the time I left at 5:15. Ate 1/2 bowl of cereal and a coffee. Had all good intentions of eating a banana on the ride down but the banana was one of many things I forgot. Now I know why I need lists. I forgot the banana, aleve, to leave my rings at home, bike pump, and one other thing but I forgot what it is. I called my friend Bill who was racing also to see what the weather was down at the race. He had left much earlier than I did. He answered when I called at 5:20am and he was in the hospital with his mom who had had a massive heart attack in the middle of the night. Spent a large amt. of time thinking of them on the rest of the way down and before the race.
Event warmup:

A bit of stretching in line for the bathrooms and on the beach - I was in the last wave so there was plenty of time to stretch.
Swim
  • 10m 6s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 1st timer F and athena wave - we were last. I seeded myself right up front on the bouy line - first time ever. It was pretty uneventful - contact doesn't bother me at all - as long as it doesn't hurt. There was plenty of contact almost all the way along the course. Cought the previous wave before the bouy and then some earlier waves on the way in. Sighted well and swam straight - or so I'd like to think. :)
What would you do differently?:

Get faster
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Got the second to worst rack spot - except for the girl next to me with the big balloon. I found my rack easy enough but it was right as you get in from the swim so I had to run ALL the way out w/ my bike. With @ 2500 racers for both sprint and olympic, it was a HUGE transition area!

Become a pro or elite so I can have a better rack spot. HA!
Bike
  • 33m 27s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Being in the last wave was so much fun b/c I passed tons and tons of people and didn't get passed by anyone! I did pass 1 other athena pretty soon after the bike started but that was it. I was hoping she was the only one in front of me. It was a bit crowded in spots and some racers weren't sure of the "on your left" - some thought they were to go left. Didn't run anyone over and I actually was trying to corner better than usual which I did - passed at least 3 or 4 people on most corners. It was a crowded course the whole way!!

Push more. Passing others gave me a false sense of speed - I accomplished my goal of 20+mph. but I could've gone faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Note T1 comment about having to run a long, long time with the bike.
I did opt for socks this year - saving my left foot a huge blister.

Get a better rack spot, practice dismounting while moving.
Run
  • 28m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The legs felt fine off the bike - I just told myself to go, go, go. Since I don't wear a watch, I had no idea what my splits were so far and I wanted to go 1:15. I was hot and it was getting pretty humid. Again, I was passing people from previous waves - which is nice. Got passed by a handful of guys and 2 girls the whole run. I started the race hungry - due to forgotten banana left on the counter - and now I was getting really hungry. I hadn't run since RI HIM 2 wks. ago b/c I sprained my ankle pretty bad 12 days ago. I was taking ankle inventory for a while and it felt fine. Added to the list of forgotten items was the aleve. Oh well. At the turnaround, I was beat. Hot, tired and hungry. It's so mental with me. If I run a 5K, the last mile is tough. If it's a 10K the last mile is tough. I have to figure out a way to just run the distance, whatever it is without playing all the mind games with myself towards the end.

More positive conversations in my head durning the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a water and FOOD! Then more water and soda. Called Mike and my parents after I saw my results. Walked around for a bit till the awards ceremony then went up to claim my award. Yippee!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind games.

Event comments:

It would be rated a 5 but the packet pick up the day before is a big pain in the neck. I live 1 1/2 hrs. away and to drive 3 hrs. 2 days in a row is kinda crummy. Last year there was remote packet p/u from some bike shops throughout the state. I vote for that again!

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:06 | 547 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/1027
Performance:
Suit:
Course: out to the bouy and back to make a counterclockwise triangle. The start was down the beach a way from the swim exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:27 | 11.5 miles | 20.63 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Open roads around Mercer Park. Open to traffic but well staffed w/ police and volunteers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:03 | 03.11 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back on a bike trail. Some shady spots, some up and down spots too.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 4:17 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-07-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1562859

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great race, and congratulations on the award!  Also, good job at ignoring the hunger - running hungry is never easy.  Great job!
2008-07-27 6:33 PM

User image

Congratulations on the age group win!  Excellent race, especially the bike.
2008-07-27 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
#1 in your AG, Nice!
2008-07-28 2:45 PM

User image

#1 in your AG kicks !

Phenomenal race. Cool

2008-07-28 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Wow, an AG win!!!  that's AWESOME, congratulations!!!  you really booked every aspect of this race, you ROCK!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed