Kansas River Valley Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 7s
Overall Rank = 11/150
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Up early enough to get things in the tri bag and into the truck. It seems like it takes Tori for ever to get ready so she has to get up super early! Grabbed the cereal bar on the way out the door.

Left the house a bit later than I originally wanted to. My delay caused me to be racked in not the ideal place. Oh well the race is won on the race course. Got the t-area ste up and started chatting with familiar faces.
Event warmup:

Jogged about a mile with one of the guys that I train with. He is a stud athlete and a super nice guy. I don't usually do a warm up but weather delayed the start. So there was some extra time to get something in. I had to release some pre race jitters!
Swim
  • 13m 58s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year at this race I waited for everybody to go off then I jumped in the back. Not this year, I started in the primo spot. Front pack, first bouy straight ahead! Confidence in my swim has increased by a whole crap load this year.

I love all the comotion that is "the washing machine". I'm not a violent person by nature but these swim starts are a blast! Getting hit and swimming over people. First 50 yards to the first bouy were a battle. Right turn at the bouy and a long 250 yrd straight shot to farthest bouy. After the turn I tried latching on to some feet but nobody seemed to be swimming my pace. Was rubbed and banged, hit and grabbed up until about the turn around. I was actually elbowed hard enough in the right eye that I thought my goggle was going to fill with blood.

After the turn headed back home I felt awesome in the water. Was gliding effortlessly, expending little energy. The only bad thing was that I know I was pulling somebody because I could feel him touch my feet every couple of strokes. He wasn't bothering me, but he was drafting! Swam up on a few people on the way back in. Had no trouble getting around them. It made me feel good to be passing people. Swimming used to be my weekest link, and it was HORRIBLE. I worked hard two winters ago and it has made alot of difference. I need to get remotivated and spend much more time in the pool.

Made it back to the bouy where we turned to go to shore and I could see people walking in waist deep water. I continued to swim until I was in water less than knee deep. I had to modify my swim stroke as not to hit the bottom of the lake. I know swimming in water is much faster than walking/running in it!
What would you do differently?:

Train more in the water. Last year I swam 13:03. I thought I had a good swim this year.....
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

This is whereI lost first place in my AG. 71st fastest T1. Think I need to work on that alittle? Didn't feel like I did any thing wrong. Afterwards two guys that were volunteering said they thought that it looked like I was in T1 a long time. This is an easy fix. I'm going to start working on leaving my shoes on my bike and doing the whole "flying mount/dismount" thing. It sad to say you lost the race in transition.

Hurry the H&LL UP!
Bike
  • 33m 20s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 22.32 mile/hr
Comments:

With the ran that moved through right before the start the pavement was a tad damp. Carefull on the left out of the park. Half mile down the road the pavement was totally dry. Very nice!

Came out of T1 just ahead of my old rivals. I know he is capable of beating me. I mean he has a $4000 bike, how could he not beat me. He passed me right about the time we creasted the first hill. I wasn't about to let him go with out a fight. I LEGALLY drafted off of him. Four bike lenghts behind him, and matching his cadence exactly! One the long flat leading to the turn around he managed to gap me enough that I knew I wouldn't be able to catch him!

After the turn I was riding by myself. This is much harder to do in a race than it is on a training ride! With about 2 miles to go another one of my training partners rode up on me and said "Let's Go!". Once again I feel inferior because his wheels cost more than my whole tri wardrobe. I probably did some illegal things in the last two miles just to stay attached to him. He is a really cool guy and probably wouldn't have a problem pulling me the whole way.

Return trip on the bike I could feel myself start to back off. I need to get it into my head that in a sprint you have to hurt the whole time! That is probably the best single piece of advice I have ever gotten. Thank You, Trusdale!

Stay focused! Could feel my mind start to wonder on the last couple of hills on the way back in!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

This transition was better than T1. 27 best out of all athletes. Not blazing but it felt OK.

Everything was going good until I tried putting on my left shoe. Why in the world do the sides of the shoe curl under when you are trying to put them on?

Grabbed number belt and glasses and was on my way! Just behind guy who pulled me in on the bike. He knows I can run fairly well.

Lossen shoes a little. I like the tight feel while running but at times it makes the shoes hard to get into.
Run
  • 19m 38s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I rise to the top......usually. Not today. Out of T2 fairly fast and on my way. John, aforementioned guy, had about 100yrds on me. Another guy who I train with, Joe, had about 100yrds on him. And yet another club member, Chris, was 250 yards ahead of him. So three guys to run down! About 1/10 of a mile I tried to put on my glasses and noticed that I had spilt water on them coming out of transition. I couldn't see a thing. Saw the three mile cone and decided to stop and put my glasses under it. OK here we go again, time to run. Next I tried to put on my number belt and noticed I had picked up my swimm goggles. As not to infringe on 2goggs, I gave them a heave to a tree along the road.

Each step I could tell I was closing in on John. He would occasionally throw in a quick turn to see if I was gaining. At about the 1 mile mark John, Joe, a 19yr old kid, and myself all came together. All I said was "Let's catch 'em all, guys!". Broke free of Joe and John easily but the kid thought he had something for me! Only the kid and 1 other competitor ran between me and Chris. I want to catch Chris!

At the lake entrance you have a turn around and you double back on the course for 100 yards or so. When Chris went by I gave him the whole "I'm watching you" gesture. Right at the turn around the kid said "I need to catch the guy in front of us. He is in my AG." I replied "I'll pull you up to him if you pull me up to the next guy(Chris)." We both put in a hard surge and caught up with his competition. He promptly slowed enough to just hold a small gap on the poor fellow. I glanced back just to see if he was going to help me. No he wasn't. Hey, thanks for the help.

I keep a hard pace and was pushing trying to catch Chris. About 300-400 yards out the kid ran up beside me and said "I've got a kick and I'm gonna use it!" I told him to go after it and catch somebody. He managed to get about 10 feet on me then promptly slowed. As I passed I said "Come on fella' we are done!" He said "I'm gonna puke!". I told him to turn his head and to keep running, keep the legs turning. I instantly thought about the Ironman video where the pro is spewing street pizza all over the place. I could hear the liquid hit the pavement. And that moment I decided I didn't want my shoe to get dirty. I threw down my own kick and pushed hard to the finish line.

Didn't catch Chris. He said after the race that me gesturing to him really motivated him and he wasn't going to let me catch up. Damn, I need to stop motivating people.

Not spill on "The Rudy Projects". And not grab my swim goggles for the run! The only place I feel like I could have pushed more would be at the beginning of the run. I wasn't lollygagging but I let my heart rate come down. Breathing was very heavy but I wasn't in oxygen debt. It was just hard due to lack of run fitness. This is one of the few runs where I noticed my breathing rate the whole way. I have scared myself before in a race when my heart and breath rate were through the roof. I didn't feel that way today I just feel like it was labored. As it should be, It's a race right?
Post race
Warm down:

Slapt hands with a couple of club members. Decided I better get out there and get the glasses before I forget them. Picked up glass and noticed Lisa was on the inside loop so I went over to cheer her on. She was packed with three other girls and she looked like she had the most whoop @ss ready to use.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude. Lack of training due to recent illness.

Event comments:

Of course I'm going to rate this race a 5. It is put on by the club and I train and race with all of these guys. This race doubled in size in one year and it will only continue to grow. The club is really excited and there are already talks of adding another distance! Keep that on the dl because those talks are only preliminary.

Special thanks to: Rudy Project, Nuun, First Gear, Donovan Auto and Truck Center, Eclipse Auto Glass, Bicycle X-change, Clif Bar, Gu, Hector Rios O.D., G2 and Sobe Life Water, Greater Wichita Area YMCA, Jabara Carpet Outlet, Road Id, Panera Bread, and Bodyworx Physical Therapy

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:58 | 820 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 25/150
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi Tri Shorts
Course: Triangulare shaped course along the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:20 | 12.4 miles | 22.32 mile/hr
Overall: 19/150
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: West leaving Lake Afton. West on MacArthur. To the turnaround and straight back to the lake!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:38 | 03.1 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 6/150
Performance: Good
Course: Along lake roads on the west side of the lake. Very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon

2008-07-28 12:30 AM
in reply to: #1563232

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Mudwater Triathlon
Wow you really did have a tough time concentrating huh? Goggles for the run? I'm going to have to call Tony and see if he needs to contact a lawyer for Copyright Infringement! Look at it this way dude: You lost like a solid week of training due to practically a near-death illness. To come out here and smoke the competition the way you did is just awesome and is a great indicator of your overall fitness. Now get back on your horse and ride, you aren't done yet! And send me back that whoop-, you don't need it
2008-07-28 8:28 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow great job out there!
Just wanted to tell you, also, that your motivation while I was on the run completely made the difference in my race. THANK YOU!
2008-07-28 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Nice job out there! You really pushed it in the tough conditions. It's easy to say you could have pushed harder when you are done racing, but I know you were going hard the whole time. Congrats!
2008-07-29 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great race Jason! Excellent bike speed! One of these days you & I will get one of those fast TT bikes and leave em' gasping in our dust!
2008-07-29 12:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon Rss Feed