Canada
24F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 38s
Overall Rank = 12/188
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/22
Pre-race routine:

I was staying at the hotel with a bunch of other people from the club. This time, the group thing was easier and went smoother. Still a major hassle for dinner and all but we made it and had a lot of fun while eating and talking back at our place. I even lost some tears there. Very funny.
Event warmup:

Left the hotel 2h15 before race start. Arrived at the site without incidents and took our chip and were bodymarked. We chose one of the only dry spot in the transition area (one spot of asphalt) while others were in swampy grass. Yuck!

4 of us went for a little ride, maybe 15 minutes and I threw some accels in the mix trying to get the others to follow. I also realized our new trisuit had a particularity! Every lucky person that I overtake is "rewarded" by a look at my a$$ crack! Well, while following Pierre, sadly, I realized I could see his. But the thing is I'm not sure mine shows but who knows while still wet from the swim! Sorry boys and girls, I don't care as long as I'm in front!

Then, went for a little run warmup with 2 others. Slow with a few accel again. (No a$$ crack while running by the way! ;) ) I was feeling good but a bit nervous since we were running along the lake and we could see the waves and the wind waiting for us. Went back the transition area and finalized the prepping and went to the lake. Didn't swim before since I was pretty much 3-4 minutes before start or even maybe less.
Swim
  • 28m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was making me a bit nervous since 1) every non-wetsuit swim isn't my favorite since swimming isn't my strenght 2) the waves were gigantic. The start was ok, I placed myself at the front on the right (first turn was to the left) but we weren't that far off since there was place for maybe 10 to 15 people and then the other were piling up in the back. The start included men from 18 to 34.

Did I mention there was waves the size of a cow? I thank God I swam before in a lake, with some waves because otherwise, that could have been panicking. I stayed calm even if I couldn't breathe or if I swallowed water. The sighting was impossible sometimes if not well syncronized with the waves since they were all you could see for the most part.

I tried to stay focus on my form but it was tough, it was more of a survival mode and try to finish, as fast as I could considering the conditions.

(That slow time includes T1)
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure, maybe push harder but I think I gave a lot. I'm not "satisfied" with the swim but with those conditions, I'll take it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I've known better. I struggled with my helmet for what appeared a long time. Except that it was good. I had a good run with the bike into the transition area and overtook a few guys in it and also made my way around some gringo sliding all over the mounting line with his metal cleats on the asphalt!

Practice T1 with aero helmet more, opposed to with regular helmet.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 34.38 km/hr
Comments:

I started the 2 first KMs kinda conservative. I knew my friend Pierre was in front since his bike wasn't there anymore. I learned a few moments later he was with another club member. That made it even more of an incentive to go get them. I decided to make my way towards them not too fast and keep it comfortable. I didn't want to be all out to get them and then fall flat right after and not be able to drop them. It was easier than expected and passed them quite fast. (After the race, Pierre told me he thought at the time I wouldn't be able to keep that pace when I passed him, which I did. :) ) After a few other passes, someone else had a target on his back! An ex-guy from the club that beat me in Lac Beauport, the first race of the season...by 10 seconds. I passed him slowly and wasn't sure if, once again, I would be able to keep the pace. Right after passing him was a lot of big hills. 3 consecutive ones that weren't allowing the legs to recharge. I thought he would pass me again at this point since his strenght his the bike. I, later learned that I was more than 3 minutes faster than him on the course. Yay!

After that, not much people to pass since the other in front were faster and there weren't so many clueless people from other categories / distances. There was the guy from Gatineau's race that I passed on the 10th lap (bike) and passed me like I was walking during the run. This time HE passed me and I tried to follow him, which I did but he was slowly getting away (he finished 58 seconds faster than me).

I finished the bike without incidents and juice in my legs. Reached 50mph in a downhill just before T2.

Not much. I went hard and tried to keep the pace up. I was passed by maybe 2 or 3 riders on a 40km stretch so very good for me, and 7th fastest bike split is a taker for me! :)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Very good first part of T2. I was very aggressive and even overtook someone just before a 180 going to our rack. Maybe not very polite but I was WAY faster and I'm not sure he even realized what happened! ;)

Once the bike was racked is where the nightmare began! Helmet off was good. Tried to put my shoes on. It didn't go well at all. (Long story short = because of my foot injury, I train with shoes a lot more padded since 3 weeks. Before, I was running all the time with racers without insoles in them. The running guru I went to see told me I could run my tris with the racers but that I should put back the insoles on. Also, I should mention I put Vaseline in my shoes to help get him easier and protect from blisters) When I put my shoes on, the insoles wrinkled under my toes so I removed the shoe (left) and tried to arrange that. I put it back on and it didn't change a thing. I decided I would go like that.
Run
  • 40m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 01s  min/km
Comments:

After a few steps I realized it wasn't a good idea but I could suck it up for 10km... Soooo not comfortable that I decided after 1km to stop, yes Steve stopped and sat his @ss and removed ONCE AGAIN the shoe. I wasn't calm at all at the moment and tried to do as fast as I could. Tried to put back on the insole, and then my foot, thought it was ok and then left. It wasn't ok, and maybe even worse. This time... the hell with it, I decided I would run anyway and be rewarded with great blisters at the finish line. Blablablah, I had an ok run, got lots of water, passed a lot of people and was passed by 1 or 2 I think. Got a lot of "Come on Vaillancourt" because of the new suit!

The course had a very hilly section of 1km or so. I kept a good pace and reduced my stride in it. Second time around I still had a good pace and increased it 5 minutes before the finish.

Glue the damn insoles!
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with a lot of people. Went riding with Pierre and Yann for 30 minutes or so. Got a massage. Ate. Talked some more. And sat my @ss in the car for the 3 hour drive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insoles. That is stupid.

Event comments:

Very cool race...except for the 15$ fluo shirt! ;)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 40/188
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit allowed
Course: Triangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:48 | 40 kms | 34.38 km/hr
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 7/188
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 20km loop almost identical except toward the end where we took another street before getting back to T2.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:40:14 | 10 kms | 04m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 17/188
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly 5km course x 2
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-30 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon Memphre-Magog

2008-07-30 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1569166

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon Memphre-Magog
Congratulations... another great race for you!  Sorry about the insole situation, sounds painful and I think you made the right call but, uhhh... you were still SMOKIN' fast even with those few little hiccups.  Are you running out of room in your house with all that hardware you're getting?? 
2008-07-30 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Exposed @ss crack, slipping insoles, waves bigger than cows! You gotta write a book about this.

The fact that you did as well as you did, shows how good an athlete you are!

Félicitations malgré all the hassles!

2008-07-30 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
a$$ crack can't wait to see it in Drummondville
2008-07-31 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Nice job out there despite the waves, insoles, and @ss crack.. hahaha.   The new suit looks pretty sweet though!  Congrats on another strong race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Memphre-Magog Rss Feed