United States
Virginia Triathlon Series, Set-Up Inc.
75F / 24C
Total Time = 1h 41m 23s
Overall Rank = 161/338
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/50
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0430; Ensure, some sports drink (G2). Been reading that for sprints, there is enough glycogen in the liver and that just a few hundred calories is all that is needed to top it off.
Event warmup:

Ran around transition, swam a little. Gel 15' before start
Swim
  • 15m 42s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very fast (too fast) halfway to first buoy; prob a 1:30 pace. Then I never could really 'catch' my breath; not sure why. First race of the year jitters and not enough confidence perhaps. I forced myself to stretch out my stroke at one point, but I don't think it lasted very long. Very tense the whole time. I sighted very well; taking a look every fourth stroke since I was breathing every second stroke on the right or left. One duma$$ was heading right of the course, and he was on my left so I had to pull up to let him go the wrong way across my bow. I probably pulled up a dozen times to side stroke a little to try and calm my breathing.
What would you do differently?:

More time in the water training! Lots of excuses come to mind including the water temp, but it was all mental and not settling into a rhythm. I was hoping to breath every third stroke and then sight every sixth.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I had trouble getting into my bike shoes with wet feet. I unracked the bike and started to run through T.A. I forgot my gel and inflator, so I had to go back and get that. Probably cost me 30".

eh? Don't be a spaz.
Bike
  • 55m 13s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

very lax! I knew where to push it and hammer, but I didn't push the hills enough. I did get a calf cramp in my left leg early on so that was a concern for a little bit (not spinning like I've been training). My hands are sore today so I was definitely way too tense on the bike. Shoulders were probably up on my ears the whole time too. Turns and downhills were great. I was always passing someone on the downhill turns. Not many age groupers passed me, which was good. I had a gel at the 14 mi mark, and drank water every 10'. The heart rate was where I wanted it in terms of average, but the speed wasn't there.

eh? Attack the climbs a little more, but I didn't want the cramp to be an issue. Relax and spin.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Nice dismount where I passed two people who had stopped to get off the bike. I had my RT shoe unvelcroed and loosened before the tight turn into the park so as to leave my LT leg secured to get through the turn. After making the turn, I got out the RT shoe and then the LT. Legs were shaky running through TA so I was taking it a little slow. Rack, empty jersey pocket, socks and shoes on. Go.

It wasn't too bad. I used the run through TA to try and settle the HR, but I don't think it worked so I may as well run hard through it.
Run
  • 27m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Same course as last year so I knew the deal. Not a bad pace for me (all things considered) after realizing the first mile was done in about 9'. I wanted to push the second half of the run, but that never materialized. The mental effort was not there. I got passed by five age groupers in the first two miles, which was a little demoralizing. Another was there on my heels during the last mile. I thought he took off, but he started to slow down about a half mile to go. I paced him; then decided to try something. I went ahead and got in front of him; figuring he would sprint by me at some point hopefully before the grassy area. And he did; he took the bait too soon. He went by pretty fast, but he slowed at the little grassy hill near transition. He was 50 yards ahead of me; I ran hard at the turn to finish to beat him by a second, so I had a little juice left; probably a lot.

More bricks after HARD rides. Run hard; it's only 3.1 miles. HR avg should have been 5-8 beats higher.
Post race
Warm down:

watermelon

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental fortitude and a little lapse in training due to ITBS and bursitis early in the year.

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:42 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/50
Overall: 136/338
Performance: Below average
HR: 170/178
Suit: none
Course: rectangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:13 | 17 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/50
Overall: 150/338
HR: 177/192
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:03 | 03.11 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/50
Overall: 210/338
HR: 179/192
Course: effn hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA
Subject: Culpepper Sprint

2008-08-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1579861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Culpepper Sprint
Great Race!  I never knew this race existed!  My mom and sister still live in Culpeper, and I could have done an out of state race and visited my family!  Maybe next year!  You had GREAT times for all three splits!  Congrats!
2008-08-04 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job, wasn't the easiest of bike or run courses.
2008-08-04 11:13 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Well done... that's a pretty good swim time given all the sighting, side-stroking, and guiding guy-off-course.  The bike was fun... and you had a solid run.  Don't beat yourself up, we (almost) always could have gone harder.
2008-08-05 6:56 AM

User image

Regular
King George, VA

Great job on the race!

I enjoyed the race report, too!!

2008-08-05 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

Awesome job.

How were you able to manage the dismount at the top of the hill?? I thought I would lose too much speed even though I was standing on the pedals, so I decided not to swing my leg over but did it by stopping first (and I was wearing my running shoes in cages). My wife also said a lot of riders fell over at the dismount area.

What''s your secret for uphill dismounts: inquiring minds want to know!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpepper Sprint Rss Feed