2008-08-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1613756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Subject: RE: Drafting in the Olympics
gsmacleod - 2008-08-19 1:33 PM
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 12:57 PM

Did it ever occur to you and the other ITU fans that some just dont' like the format?

Definitely; I just took issue with the thought that it is nothing more than a foot race.   I can understand that people don't like watching this style of racing or agree that it embodies the true spirit of the sport.  Personally I think it's more exciting than non-drafting to watch and they are also incredibly fun to participate in despite being very hard; in the two draft legal races I've done I've probably drafted for a grand total of 5km

If you haven't watched an ITU races before, I would encourage you to watch a few more; it grows on some people.  Also, the ITU (www.triathlon.org) has great live coverage of their events, including commentary.

Shane

I thought it was a great race and very exciting.  However, it was a foot race and due to the format, that wasn't a surprise. 

2008-08-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1613797

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:43 PM

However, it was a foot race and due to the format, that wasn't a surprise. 

At a race I did this past weekend, another athlete swam and biked a little faster than me and my transitions and run were a little faster so we were about 200m from the line shoulder to shoulder.  We sprinted out the finish and he passed me with about 10' to go; did this become a foot race due to the race format (typical non-drafting) or the fact that we are pretty evenly matched and the run comes last?

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2008-08-19 12:50 PM
2008-08-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1583341

What is drafting?

I know, I know, stupid question....

2008-08-19 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1613822

User image

Champion
mrhapner - 2008-08-19 2:50 PM

What is drafting?

I know, I know, stupid question....

Not stupid at all; drafting is when (in triathlon) you ride within another rider's draft zone which is basically three bike lengths long.  Although there is still a benefit outside this zone, inside this area the trailing rider can ride at the same speed for less effort than normal as the lead rider is breaking the wind.

Most triathlons do not allow drafting but the ITU elite races allow athletes to ride in a pack (a la le Tour de France).

Shane

2008-08-19 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1613773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 1:36 PM
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:28 PM

I personally would like to see a TT start/format for these.  maybe 2 mins about

That's fine.  Shuffle the deck and see who comes out on top under different rules.  But do you allow drafting?  On the swim?  On the bike?  Do you 'seed' the athletes and give an advantage to the racers going later (and knowing the 'time to beat')?  Frankly, I think it works fine the way it is.

And if THIS race (i.e., the Olympics yesterday) was just a "foot race", why didn't the acknowleded faster runner (Gomez) win despite being in a position to do so?  I never made any comments about the Hy Vee (other than to clarify Jorge's for you) or any other race (though I'd make the same points about any of them).  They ALL come down to the run.  It's at the end!  Like the 4th quarter in football or basketball.  The game might be decided in the final minutes, but what happened before that isn't irrelevant even if they are tied on the scoreboard.

I think its fine the way it is. I'm just saying a TT would be interesting as well, more so than ITU.

Well, Gomez didn't win due to the fact that he didn't run the fastest that day. Who came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Wait for it....the runners who had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fastest run split. That is why they do the race and not just had out the medals before hand.

Comparing other sports is not needed. We already have two comparable formats. draft legal and non-draft legal.  It would be like us discussing american / national league baseball with the DH/ no DH rule and someone bringing up football. But since you did bring up football, football(or another sport) doesn't have rules designed to almost guarantee the two teams to be tied or make it so difficult to and/or without much advantage to be leading at the start of the 4th qtr.  

As far as a TT goes, no drafting anywhere. No communication on course or while waiting to start to give splits to. They could be in a "waiting room" until they dive in. Two minutes seems like enough to stop drafting on the swim. They do no drafting during the bike TTs without too many arguments so that shouldn't be too much a problem.

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Expert
Simi Valley
I would not be impressed by or tempted to watch a TT style Olympic triathlon.  To me, it would be as absurd as having the sprinters run their 100M dash individually for time.  IMO, the elite fields at our local races are such that the USAT rules about not drafting allow for a spread field and conscious rule enforcement about drafting zones and legal passes.  I do not believe that at the level of athleticism displayed yesterday on the size of course they ran, that you could enforce the USAT standard.  Are there inevitably going to be folks who ride in the Peloton that turn in a bike split beyond their PR because of a draft advantage?  Sure.  But, the relative level performance of the whole is such that it will continually be close til the run. 
2008-08-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1613860

Pro
Husker Nation
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:01 PM
Well, Gomez didn't win due to the fact that he didn't run the fastest that day.

Which ends the debate on whether or not the fastest runners have the biggest advantage.
2008-08-19 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

I enjoy watching both types of race.

The (slight) problem I have with ITU races lies in the fact that you can intentionally adopt a "just hang on" attitude for 2/3 of the race and still win. 

For an ITU race, when a good runner is training for the bike, his or her goal does not have to be "become the best possible cyclist."  It is sufficient (much of the time) for the goal to be "become good enough at cycling to hang with the lead pack throughout the ride."  Obviously this is still a very difficult goal, but "just hang on" somehow seems intuitively less worthy than "go as fast as I can."

In a non-drafting race, if you want to "just hang on" to a good rider, you simply have to be able to go as fast as them.  In a draft-legal race, you have to go as fast as them, minus the effect of drafting.

Your plan over the 3 legs can be HANG ON > HANG ON > RACE instead of RACE > RACE > RACE, and although it still makes for an exciting race, I find it hard to get past that.

Not demeaning the athletic prowess of ITU triathletes and not saying it's not extremely difficult to hang on over a swim and a bike (nice one Bevan D) - just pointing out something about how it comes across to me.

Edited by danielc 2008-08-19 1:07 PM
2008-08-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1613860

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:01 PM

Well, Gomez didn't win due to the fact that he didn't run the fastest that day. Who came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Wait for it....the runners who had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fastest run split. That is why they do the race and not just had out the medals before hand.

And perhaps he didn't run so fast because he was a bit tired from the swim and bike--oh, I forgot, they don't matter because they were tied when they started the foot race. 

Comparing other sports is not needed. We already have two comparable formats. draft legal and non-draft legal.  It would be like us discussing american / national league baseball with the DH/ no DH rule and someone bringing up football. But since you did bring up football, football(or another sport) doesn't have rules designed to almost guarantee the two teams to be tied or make it so difficult to and/or without much advantage to be leading at the start of the 4th qtr.

The analogy only goes so far, I admit.  But my point was that even if two teams are tied after 58 minutes of play and "it all comes down to the last 2 minutes" (as some TV announcer would surely remind us), those first 58 still matter in deciding the outcome.  Perhaps someone got hurt or ejected or TIRED. 

As far as a TT goes, no drafting anywhere. No communication on course or while waiting to start to give splits to. They could be in a "waiting room" until they dive in. Two minutes seems like enough to stop drafting on the swim. They do no drafting during the bike TTs without too many arguments so that shouldn't be too much a problem.

Triathlon is hard enough (for even a relative diehard) to watch on TV as it is. 

2008-08-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1613821

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
gsmacleod - 2008-08-19 1:50 PM
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:43 PM

However, it was a foot race and due to the format, that wasn't a surprise. 

At a race I did this past weekend, another athlete swam and biked a little faster than me and my transitions and run were a little faster so we were about 200m from the line shoulder to shoulder.  We sprinted out the finish and he passed me with about 10' to go; did this become a foot race due to the race format (typical non-drafting) or the fact that we are pretty evenly matched and the run comes last?

Shane

Had it been a draft legal race, would you not have grapped his(or another person's) wheel when he(they) went by? 

2008-08-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1613880

Not a Coach
Media, PA
danielc - 2008-08-19 2:06 PM

The (slight) problem I have with ITU races lies in the fact that you can intentionally adopt a "just hang on" attitude for 2/3 of the race and still win. 

For an ITU race, when a good runner is training for the bike, his or her goal does not have to be "become the best possible cyclist."  It is sufficient (much of the time) for the goal to be "become good enough at cycling to hang with the lead pack throughout the ride."  Obviously this is still a very difficult goal, but "just hang on" somehow seems intuitively less worthy than "go as fast as I can."

In a non-drafting race, if you want to "just hang on" to a good rider, you simply have to be able to go as fast as them.  In a draft-legal race, you have to go as fast as them, minus the effect of drafting.

Your plan over the 3 legs can be HANG ON > HANG ON > RACE instead of RACE > RACE > RACE, and although it still makes for an exciting race, I find it hard to get past that.

Not demeaning the athletic prowess of ITU triathletes and not saying it's not extremely difficult to hang on over a swim and a bike (nice one Bevan D) - just pointing out something about how it comes across to me.

Explain to me why this is SO different than Macca at Kona.  Or, frankly, Stadler at Kona.  By your analogy:

Macca = HANG ON > HANG ON > RACE

and

Stadler = HANG ON > RACE > HANG ON

You do realize there's drafting benefits in "regular" triathlons, just less than in ITU.  And the swim is the same rules, only it's LESS important than in ITU.  So ITU may take some 'value' off the bike, but it also adds some to the swim.  It's still a triathlon and not a simple foot race.

I've beaten this enough, so this'll be my last whack. 

2008-08-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1613878

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

Bripod - 2008-08-19 2:05 PM
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:01 PM Well, Gomez didn't win due to the fact that he didn't run the fastest that day.
Which ends the debate on whether or not the fastest runners have the biggest advantage.

Not following you here...  Just becuase ONE of the "fast runners" doesn't win on ONE particular day, doesn't mean the "fastest runners" don't have an advantage. 

2008-08-19 1:21 PM

Expert
Wauwatosa
I think in general it is fair to say that Draft Legal Tri's and non- drafting tri's are both fantastic events.

with that said, they are 2 very different events and I think they should be viewed that way.

I really enjoyed watching the race last night, and it led to a very exciting finish.

In general, i like the "Race against the clock" aspect of non draft tri's better than draft legal tri's...

but lets face it... Draft Legal tri's for the olympics makes better Television viewing.. and frankly makes the race logistically easier...

my only wish for the race last night was that they should have hammered on the bike a bit more to (and or attacked more) to wear out the runners a lil bit... but.... that is how it goes..

and hell, as far as I am concerned... the swim leg is the most important leg of a draft legal tri... if you get dropped on the swim... yer done.

2008-08-19 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1613489

Coach
Boston, MA
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 11:03 AM

Hmmmmm  looks like they all swam and biked within seconds of each other and they all came out of t2 together.....Hence the foot race comment.

I've read this entire thread and I can't find 1 post where someone is saying these guys aren't great triathletes.  Why do you continuously act like people are saying that?  Are you on the ITU payroll or something?

Yes in fact for every reply I get on this thread I get a check

It is ok to dislike the format that is not an issue; however I find amusing the critic of the format when some seem to don't clearly understand the level of talent and skill it is requires just to 'hang on' the back of the pack.

Many of the bike courses at ITU races have some level of difficulty because of the format (loops) and this produces constant changes in pace. Anyone who has done some group riding in which there are constant attacks would know that this 'kills' the legs. in the ITU format triathletes accomplish this after just swimming a 1.5k in 18 min, just cruising at 25+ mph and the just running a 10K in 30-31min. I think many would change their opinion in terms of the difficulty if given the opportunity to race and ITU style race. And by racing I mean going all out from start to finish, not just floating the swim, cruising the bike just to put some effort on the run. Otherwise THAT would be a glorified run

Anyway, was Kona last year a glorified run? I ask because the strong cyclists (Lieto and Sindballe) took charge yet they felt short on their efforts while Macca and Crowie rode on the pack (legally) and just conserve energy to strike on the run and well they did! Was that luck or strategy?

2008-08-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1613927

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 2:19 PM
danielc - 2008-08-19 2:06 PM

Explain to me why this is SO different than Macca at Kona.  Or, frankly, Stadler at Kona.  By your analogy:

and

You do realize there's drafting benefits in "regular" triathlons, just less than in ITU.  And the swim is the same rules, only it's LESS important than in ITU.  So ITU may take some 'value' off the bike, but it also adds some to the swim.  It's still a triathlon and not a simple foot race.

I've beaten this enough, so this'll be my last whack. 

The difference is, at least to me, is that the "hang on" is on the back wheel of someone else.  In non-draft, its just you and you alone, doing the hanging on. 

Sorry this is your last word, its been a good conversation.

2008-08-19 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1613929

Pro
Husker Nation
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:19 PM

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:01 PM Well, Gomez didn't win due to the fact that he didn't run the fastest that day.

Not following you here... Just becuase ONE of the "fast runners" doesn't win on ONE particular day, doesn't mean the "fastest runners" don't have an advantage.

I know it's been like an hour or so, but have you forgotten the Henning Hy-Vee '07 example from earlier? Yes, I know, ONE MORE particular day, ONE MORE particular "slower runner" winning. How many examples would it take?

What about examples of different finishes between teammates a la Matt Reed beating Potts and Kemper [both superior runners] for his qualifying spot on the USA team? Even though he didn't get first in the race he still beat them because he hammered the bike and was able to hold them off. At any rate, those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.
2008-08-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1613942

Expert
Wauwatosa
amiine - 2008-08-19 1:22 PM

the bike just to put some effort on the run. Otherwise THAT would be a glorified run

Anyway, was Kona last year a glorified run? I ask because the strong cyclists (Lieto and Sindballe) took charge yet they felt short on their efforts while Macca and Crowie rode on the pack (legally) and just conserve energy to strike on the run and well they did! Was that luck or strategy?

not luck, total strategy...
can you imagine tho if Ironman were draft legal.. I have no doubt that Macca could sit in anothers draft with relative ease and then still destroy the less accomplished runner on the run...
with that said.. then Lieto would have to surge and attack and Take it out of macca's legs on the run with the hopes of killing macca's legs for the run...

heck if nothing else.. more Strategy goes into a draft legal event.. so, with all that said...

i like non drafting events.. i find them more.."impressive" but that is simply an opinion.
2008-08-19 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1613949

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 2:24 PM

The difference is, at least to me, is that the "hang on" is on the back wheel of someone else.  In non-draft, its just you and you alone, doing the hanging on. 

I lied. 

Actually, just to clarify, there are drafting benefits on the bike in a regular triathlon (and it's not insignificant even if it's less than ITU-style drafting). 

Again, a different format is sure to shuffle the ranks as you'll change the dynamics of the race.  I don't think an ITT format would be very compelling, or fair (start position does matter, conditions change, etc.).  But that's just my opinion.

2008-08-19 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1613949

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 11:24 AM
JohnnyKay - 2008-08-19 2:19 PM

and

I've beaten this enough, so this'll be my last whack.  :)

Yes that's exactly what I meant.  I guess you could call it "hanging tough" (on your own) vs real "hanging on" (depending on others at least in a small way).

I'm not even sure if that's a signifcant difference - just explaining what it is about ITU tris that nags at the back of my mind.

Of course you're right on the swim (JohnnyKay) - I missed that.  Edit - and I'll give you a little on the bike.

Edited by danielc 2008-08-19 1:52 PM
2008-08-19 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1613942

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH

Yes in fact for every reply I get on this thread I get a check

Good on you!

It is ok to dislike the format that is not an issue; however I find amusing the critic of the format when some seem to don't clearly understand the level of talent and skill it is requires just to 'hang on' the back of the pack.

Again, I haven't seen where people dimish the level of talent of these guys, they just don't like the format.  What would make you happy?  Should people start saying these guys are awesome, the best, etc, etc before every "critic"?

Many of the bike courses at ITU races have some level of difficulty because of the format (loops) and this produces constant changes in pace. Anyone who has done some group riding in which there are constant attacks would know that this 'kills' the legs. in the ITU format triathletes accomplish this after just swimming a 1.5k in 18 min, just cruising at 25+ mph and the just running a 10K in 30-31min. I think many would change their opinion in terms of the difficulty if given the opportunity to race and ITU style race. And by racing I mean going all out from start to finish, not just floating the swim, cruising the bike just to put some effort on the run. Otherwise THAT would be a glorified run

Dude, again, we get it.  Its hard and these guys are awesome, the best!  Spend the check wisely. 

Luck or strategy?  Maybe both.  But had Kona been draft legal,  Macca and Crowie would have kept things a little tighter wouldn't you think? 

2008-08-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1613907

Champion
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 3:12 PM

Had it been a draft legal race, would you not have grapped his(or another person's) wheel when he(they) went by? 

However, since he was out of the water with three others and I was alone, I probably wouldn't have caught him unless another pack caught up with me...

2008-08-19 2:01 PM

Expert

One Word: Burritos...perferably heavy on the refried beans.  Buoyancy in the water, keeps the backdraft area all clear on the bike, and and makes you step lively to the finish/porta-john on the run.  You can even get Old El Paso to sponsor you. 

2008-08-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1613952

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
Bripod - 2008-08-19 2:25 PM
ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 1:19 PM

Not following you here... Just becuase ONE of the "fast runners" doesn't win on ONE particular day, doesn't mean the "fastest runners" don't have an advantage.

I know it's been like an hour or so, but have you forgotten the Henning Hy-Vee '07 example from earlier? Yes, I know, ONE MORE particular day, ONE MORE particular "slower runner" winning. How many examples would it take? What about examples of different finishes between teammates a la Matt Reed beating Potts and Kemper [both superior runners] for his qualifying spot on the USA team? Even though he didn't get first in the race he still beat them because he hammered the bike and was able to hold them off. At any rate, those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.

You said that the OLY example ended the debate.  It does not as I stated. 

But since you want to add another race to the "debate" then fine.  The '07 winner, Henning, had the 5th fastest 40k of the race, The runners with the 1st and 2nd fastest runs came in 2nd and 3rd respectively.  I wouldn't say the 5th(of 53) fastest run split is one of the "slower runners" would you?

Not much of an example where the "stronger" runner(S)" don't come out on top. 

As far as examples go.  Why don't you give me the statistical analysis of all ITU races instead of cherry picking a few events.  Or how about an example where a winner ran out side the top 15~20% run times. 

BTW, how did Reed do against Kemper in the OLY? 

2008-08-19 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1614103

Not a Coach
Media, PA

ohiost90 - 2008-08-19 3:17 PM

Or how about an example where a winner ran out side the top 15~20% run times. 

I guess I can't stay away. 

I don't really want to get into this "show me" argument (again, I think it misses the point entirely), but...

show me ANY triathlon where the winner runs outside the top 15-20% of run times!  It may have happened, but I'd be impressed (or perhaps not, since the rest of the field would seemingly have had to have been pretty poor swimmers & bikers)!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting in the Olympics Rss Feed  

of 5