TEAMChallenge GmbH
13C / 55F
Precipitation
Total Time = 8h 40m 24s
Overall Rank = 8/304
Age Group = Mens Relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We had an early start to the day as there was about 20 from the CNN Tri Nyon club that were racing. Breakfast at 3:30 and in the bus at 4 am. We got to the start a little bit before 5 am - and it was raining hard. A couple of the guys/gals put on their wetsuits in the bus as we had to walk a good mile to the start zone.
Event warmup:

The swim relay start was last, so I had about 3 hours to burn in the start area - a little bit a bummer as it was cold and rainy. At least I got to see the pros start and exit the water. I went over my bike a few times and after 3 hours in the mud, I was glad to get into the water.
Swim
  • 57m 19s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Starting in waves was a nice way to avoid the crowds. Got bumped a few times, but all in all a pretty friendly affair. My swim ranked 52 out of 304 in the Men's realy catagory. The relay Team (#1) I was swimming for eventually finish in 8th place (out of 304) due in large part to our biker, Mark, who crushed a 4:40 bike split. The ambiance for the swim was great - lots of spectators on the bridges and along the canal - this is despite the early start times and brutal weather (50F + heavy rain).
What would you do differently?:

Considering that I was working off limited sleep for that past month, I was pleased to swim a 0:57. Looking to do sub 1 hr for the 4k swim at the ITU 3XO Worlds in late Aug in Holland.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was racing in two different relays. I entered T1 and handed off my chip to Mark (our biker) and then had to find my bike and get ready before the swimmer (Stephane) for relay #2 arrived.

Not much.
Bike
  • 6h 00m 58s
  • 180 kms
  • 29.92 km/hr
Comments:

As I exited T1 it was pouring rain and pretty cold. I put on a wind breaker (aka parachute) in an effort to keep warm. About 10km into the bike I was wetter than I was when I was swimming in the Canal! Then the really heavy rain came down!? As the course opened onto the flats we had the pleasure of a nice head wind (+ rain). A little while longer, we had the joy of hail!! Interesting conditions to say the least. The rain finally stopped as I started my second loop, so I took off my rain parachute and enjoyed the second loop much more.

As the relayers were last to leave the crowds started to thin out as we biked. However, despite the rain there was still great support from the local community. The Solar Berg was pretty cool - a steep hill packed with people who only got out of the way at the last second (think TDF mountain stages).

The relay team (#2) I was biking for eventually finish in 92th place out of 304. My bike split was 234/304 - more work need here. If I had biked a 5:40 I would have been right in the middle of the pack.

Need to work on developing more power. The course had some hills, and in the run up to the race I was focusing on getting in some volume. So, I am pleased (not proud) with 6 hours. That being said, with some good interval work I would like to get into the 5h30s.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

handed my chip off to my runner (who ran a 2:53). Relay Team #2 raced a 9:55 ironman.
Run
  • 00m
  • 42.19 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about 20 minutes in the pouring rain to find the showers. Interesting cultural footnote, the showers were co-ed. Anyway, took a shower, dried off and then went back out it the rain to cheers the rest of the finishers from the CNN Tri Nyon Team.

Event comments:

The highlights of the race were traveling with the family and participating as part of a larger team. The CNN Tri Nyon Team had a number of strong sub-11 hour finishes. A number of teammates did their first IM. And there were a number of family relays, where parents and the children raced different parts of the relay.

Funny story - When the first relay team signed-up (the 8:40 team) the application was in German and we just checked a bunch of boxes. Not too sure what they meant. At the end of the race, we heard our names called over the loud speaker. We made our way to the front of the stands near the finish and learn that we won 1st place, but for what we were not sure. Then we figured out that we took first place out of 52 teams in the 'Corporate Catagory'. Nice :)

Final Footnote: While we were picking up the bikes that evening at T2 I somehow managed to bump into a fellow BT'er - Drew. It was great to meet him and exchange a few words. He raced a great IM.

Last updated: 2008-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:19 | 3800 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 52/304
Performance: Good
avg. HR 156
Suit: Ironman Instinct
Course: Out and back in a canel that links the Rhine and Danube Rivers.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:00:58 | 180 kms | 29.92 km/hr
Overall: 234/304
Performance: Good
30km (0:58:30/ahr139); 60km (1:00:30/ahr132); 90km (1:05:00 / ahr130); 120km (0:58:30/ahr128); 150km (1:04:00/ahr125); 180km (0:54:00/ahr125).
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loop course with a fair amount of hills. Someone with a GPS reported 1,200m of verticle.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 42.19 kms |  min/km
Overall: 0/304
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Quelle Challenge Roth

2008-08-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: #1586843

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Quelle Challenge Roth
Very cool that you were a part of two different relays.  great job on your swim and nice job on the bike, esp with some rough weather conditions.  Must have been a lot of fast cyclists there if it takes a 5:40 bike split to be MOP!
2008-08-07 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Sounds like a great experience.  Nice job!  Can I borrow your swim split for IM WI?
2008-08-07 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Wow, you really crushed the swim and had a solid bike - nice race!!  It was great to meet you, wish I had thought to take off my parachute for the 2nd lap.  I'm getting cold again just thinking about all the rain and freezing headwinds but at least I missed the hail.  Good luck with the rest of your season in, um, wherever you end up.
2008-08-07 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Thanks Drew. Looks like we'll be in Bangkok for a few years. Cheers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quelle Challenge Roth Rss Feed