Shoreview, Minnesota
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 12s
Overall Rank = 334/795
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 52/92
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00... bagel, red bull (today!), and some of "Robb's Silverman Blend" Infinit... met up with some friends once I got there and got really lucky with my transition spot.
Event warmup:

Got a run in, but no bike. Needed more swimming, maybe 200 yards, but more about figuring out the swim exit than anything else... swim over the weeds till you see sand, then get up!
Swim
  • 25m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall a good swim for me, I could have pushed a bit harder on the way out, but in the end probably a better position for me to be in... With the time trial type start, it was hard to find feet to catch on to...
What would you do differently?:

Drafting, find someone and stick with them
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

A bit slower, quite a bit of mud on the swim exit, so had to wipe feet off more than I normally would.

Need to work on bike mounting even though this transition was "ridable"
Bike
  • 59m 49s
  • 21.39 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good ride for me, starting in the middle of the pack vs. the front like we usually do with the clydes changes the race quite a bit. The first 6 miles was pretty tight and lots of people to move by, after that it opened up again.

Not much different here, 1st race with the new aero helmet and it was definitely noticable. Still need to work on my transition onto the bike, had a good feet out of shoes and hop off to rack the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Riding into transition was different, but hopping off 5' from my rack was certainly nice.

Drink more on the bike so I don't waste time getting that last bit out.
Run
  • 50m 3s
  • 5.29 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I STILL hate running. I start dreading it with 10 miles left to go in the bike, for me, it is basically ... survive...

train train train! I need to get more miles on. I know what I can push on the bike and swim, but I don't have that confidence on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Sought out the nearest shade as it was getting fairly warm by the time I finihsed. Stretched a bit and kept blood flowing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate running... I really need to find something that gets me excited about the training??? Any ideas out there?

Event comments:

Well run race... they held transition closed till the last rider was in, but then immediately started taking down the fences, so little to no security for the gear. Didn't hear of any issues. Will definitely be back!

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/92
Overall: 125/795
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1 First Wave
Course: Basically out and back with a shallow spot
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:49 | 21.39 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/92
Overall: 225/795
Performance: Good
AHR - 155 MHR - 176
Wind: Little
Course: Flat Flat Flat... good to push the cranks a bit...
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:03 | 05.29 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/92
Overall: 649/795
Performance: Below average
Course: Relatively flat and loop around Turtle Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2008-08-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1592366

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon
you had a great race. i'd love to see 21 mph on the bike.

i'm not sure what words of encouragement i can give you about running. a lot of people hate running. it's hard on your body and boring. it's just you and the road and there isn't much else to think about other than, "i hate this!" oddly, i think that's what i like the most about it. my brain can turn off and i can just run. i also like to find quiet or scenic places to run. again, so i can clear my head. but never on a treadmill. even i hate running on those things.

one other thought, there was an article here on BT about 5 minute workouts. it was a method of motivating yourself to get that dreaded workout going. essentially, just start with 5 minutes and see where you are after. most of the time when those 5 minutes are over, you will probably find yourself able to finish the rest of it.
2008-08-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1592366

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Awesome swim and bike!  I'll trade you some running mojo for some of your swim mojo...
2008-08-12 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1597205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

sparco - 2008-08-12 11:21 AM Awesome swim and bike! I'll trade you some running mojo for some of your swim mojo...

You've got a deal on that swap Sal !!!!   now if you could take some of my ... well..  excess weight off my hands too!!!  

2008-08-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1592474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

johns567 - 2008-08-09 9:00 PM you had a great race. i'd love to see 21 mph on the bike. i'm not sure what words of encouragement i can give you about running. a lot of people hate running. it's hard on your body and boring. it's just you and the road and there isn't much else to think about other than, "i hate this!" oddly, i think that's what i like the most about it. my brain can turn off and i can just run. .....just start with 5 minutes and see where you are after. most of the time when those 5 minutes are over, you will probably find yourself able to finish the rest of it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement... I really need to get my mental game together on the run.  I don't think it is completely conditioning and I can't blame everything on being too tall or too fat ( )....  I have actually enjoyed some runs... I need to focus on that side of things and stop over analyzing every step!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed