General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 15s
Overall Rank = 161/252
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/32
Pre-race routine:

Came up the night before with my wife and my younger daughter. We stayed at the Travelodge motel. It was a dump. I have lost my reservation making duties. According to my wife she will make reservations in future. Was not nervous the night before and got a good night sleep. Up about 4:30. Ate the standard bagels and banana. Loaded up and got family up to take me over. Arrived at about 5:40. Plenty of time to do all the necessay things. Did all the necessary things. Found all the Donkeys and spent some time conversing pre-race (except BBMozer who did a good job of hiding from me again!) It started out quite chilly (about 50) so I couldn't wait to get in the water to warm up.
Event warmup:

Did a tiny little warm up of about 2 minutes. Really just an excuse to get in the water and warm up.
Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 1444 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

My days of swim freakouts seem like a lifetime ago. I was very relaxed going into this and was relaxed through out. I actually passed some people, which is crazy for me. Promised myself I would take the out pretty easy and push on the return. That is what I did. At turn buoy watch said about 16min (from what I coud read) I hit the beach at 28:16 (12 min return!) Second swim in a row where I was actually bummed it was over. Last year 31:28. This year 29:06. This may not look impressive (its not) but a PR pace for me for any race and a PR for me here by over 2 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Push from beginning , instead of just 1/2 the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Not great but a bit of improvement

I spend too much time go over everything in my head and just need to get out of there.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 58s
  • 28.83 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike had been a major disappointment for me this year and today was no different. Last year was 1:30:33 and this year was over 3 min slower at 1:33:58. Was a bit of wind out there. One positive: I was going back and forth with a guy. Every down hill, he would pass me, every uphill I would power ahead of him. I finally left him behind for good with about 3 miles to go. I guess those hills of the Kettle Moraine have helped a bit. I saw the aftermath of someone who took a corner too fast. Ouch! Had a bottle of perp and of water and did not take enough of either in. Got away with it today because of cool temps. Took two gels.

I have got a few ideas for the off-season...
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Tried to move a bit faster than usual. Put on race belt and hat on as I was running out. Thanks to Pjgrande for 'encouraging me' to get my fanny moving.

move even faster
Run
  • 50m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Two weeks ago at the Tri-ing for Children's Oly, I tanked on the run and finished in 57min. I was determined to not repeat that. I also realized that there was a chance I could meet or beat last year's time, dispite my sub-par bike performance. However I knew the only way that was going to happen was if I beat last year's run (52:23). After Tri-ing for Children, I did not have a lot of hope. However I felt pretty good and locked in to a pace between 8:20-8:30. I like the out and back and got to see my Donkey friends. That always helps keep the spirits up. Saw DeannaS, who encouraged me to 'catch the carrot', but was not able to catch that speedy girl. At about 4.5 miles I saw that I might be able to hit my goal, but I started to fade a bit. At about mile 5, a crazy man holding up a giant carrot appeared like a vision. It was Djdavey. I knew he got the carrot from my family which was great because it meant that they had made it and would see me finish. Dave provided some guidence and words of encouragement. He was not pacing me because I learned from Tripletmom, that you can't do that in a race. ;) Well this was enough for me to hold it together to the finish and hit and beat last year's run by two minutes. A major victory for me. My eight-year old daughter ran across the finish line with me, which has become a tradition at this race.

not much. pretty happy with this.
Post race
Warm down:

Catch my breath and then yak it up with my family and some of the Donks. Spotted Tripletmom hauling around her hardware. Right before we left there was a BbMoozer sighting. Nice finally see her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could write a book on this. However, this race is a PR over last year, which has been a rarity this year. Proud that I overcame a weak bike to PR (by a minute) this race.

Event comments:

Post run food was pathetic. Bananas and couple chunks of dry bagel was all there was.
I have done this race since it started 4 years ago. I always enjoy it and this year was no exception. Good time with my family, great friends and a PR to boot. What's not to like!

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 1444 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion sleeveless
Course: out and then back again.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:58 | 28.83 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:58 | 06.2 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1594076

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance

You had a great race, don't sell yourself short on any of the times.  Way to PR on everything.  Hoping I can follow your lead this weekend.

2008-08-11 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Great work out there! I know you think your biking sucks. But, I'd be thrilled with your bike split. And, I say the wind was strong.
2008-08-11 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

great job out there donkey!!!  way to go get that carrot!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

2008-08-11 5:34 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Glad to se you didnt have a pacer- I would have had to DNF you

Awesome to PR- huh??

So it WAS the same course as last year for the bike- right??  I was like 3 minutes slower too.  Lets blame the wind

Good seeing you as always- Next stop MADISON!!!

2008-08-12 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
You did great out there Jim.  A PR is always something to be proud of.  The bike conditions were a little tougher than most realize.  There is definetly motivation on the course when you see all the donkeys out there on the course.  See you guys at the run turnaroudn really helped give me the extra step.  Thank your wife for the carrot.  I'm trying to figure out how I can mount mine to my bike for PP next weekend.   EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW

2008-08-19 9:49 AM

New user

Nice jiob setting PRs! Good to see other with the same questions/challanges (the bike just seemer tougher this year - had to be the wind). Fantastic job kicking in the run the finish strong.
2008-08-19 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Great race Jim..strong run!! Congrats!!
2008-08-19 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Nothin ever wrong with a PR.  Great job!  I wish I had your run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed