East Texas Lightnin'
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 54s
Overall Rank = 12/50
Age Group = female
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

I had a granola bar and some juice when I woke up. Loaded up all my cycling gear, etc. I had some peanut butter crackers about 35 minutes before the start. Once I arrived at the site I found lots of people I knew so I ended up talking to everyone.
Event warmup:

Talking to people I knew. Did a little stretching. Stood around inside the building because it was cold outside. I really did have good intentions of doing a little warm-up, just never got around to it.
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said I did zero warm-up other than the walk to the start line. I wasn't intending to race this 5k, just do it for fun because my marathon is next weekend. It was cold so I wore tights and a long sleeve shirt. Standing at the start line I overheard this girl talking to another girl about how she wanted to run it in 22 minutes. She said that she had been doing some runs over in Shreveport and winning because there just wasn't any competition and she was frustrated because she had no one to push her. Oh really? Well, get ready missy because you just turned this into a race...it's on like donkey kong! (I of course can say that now since I won). The gun went off and I took off at an easy pace, but I quickly couldn't stand it and picked it up. After about a mile, who do I see, miss 22 minutes...easily passed her on an uphill and kept on trucking. I came by this poor little boy and he looks at me and sees the pigtails and takes off, only to be dying a couple of minutes later as I passed him. Coming into the finish there were several Longview people cheering for me which felt kind of cool. I ended up being the first female overall and 12th out of everyone. It was just a benefit run so they didn't keep times or anything, but they did have a card that you turned in with your place. It was a fun run and I'm glad that I did it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was just for fun and for a good cause. The Freeze yer Fanny 5k and ride supports East Texas Lightnin' (Special Olympics team). I thought it would be fun to get in a little run before the ride (see next race report).
Post race
Warm down:

Haha, nothing. Went to the car to get my cycling clothes and changed into those. As I walked out of the bathroom with my cycling gear on Miss 22 minutes sees me and says, "You're going to do the ride too?!" To which I said, "Of course, that's the fun part." She congratulated me on the run, which was nice (I think she finished about a minute and a half behind me).

Event comments:

Good run...will try to do it again next year. They had donuts, fruit, cupcakes, and drinks after the run (but the good stuff came after the bike ride, chili mmmm).

Last updated: 2005-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 12/50
Performance:
Course: The run left from Doris McQueen elementary school and wound through a neighborhood back to the school. Rolling hills but nothing too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-02-05 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Freeze yer Fanny 5k

2005-02-05 5:50 PM
in reply to: #113150

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Freeze yer Fanny 5k
Great job Gina!!  Way to show Miss 22 minute girl what you're made of !! 
2005-02-07 7:34 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Oh really? Well, get ready missy because you just turned this into a race...

Now that is funny!!!  But I guess I find humor in it as I can just see you saying that.  Even though we haven't met, I have gotten to know you quite well following your logs!  That is sooo you!  Got a bit of a competitive edge to you there kiddo!  Gotta love it!  Way to kick butt!  And thanks for the laugh!

2005-02-08 5:10 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
...it's on like donkey kong!

kick @$$!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freeze yer Fanny 5k Rss Feed