General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winneconne, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 34m 54s
Overall Rank = 246/282
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 445; coffee, diet pepsi. Showered, finished loading car. Ate a granola bar on way, more coffee, more diet pepsi. Sipped some Gatorade.
(BTW...first attempt posting this I somehow toggled and lost it GRRR!)
Event warmup:

Got chipped, marked. Set up..did't see donks but saw some other peeps I knew. Got in pee line (pee was the name of the game for this race!) Put on wetsuit to stay warm...freakin' cold! Felt like a super hero in my wetsuit in spite of having an infant's chub roll butt. ;)
Swim
  • 29m 20s
  • 1444 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good thing I can breathe bilaterally! I really seemed distracted by my feet and didn't really get into a rhythm with strong arm pull. Also, had to pee as I neared the bouy...so as I nearly was back to the shore, slowed and had to really concentrate to let my pee go. Eeeew! What an odd sensation in a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Should have pushed it more. Mantra needs to be: I CAN NOT SINK IN A WETSUIT. That way I can relax.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Got the suit off my top half as I came out of the water...no problemo. BUT...got it stuck on both feet in transition. Felt a bit dizzy for a second so slowed with the sox/shoes on.

Practice getting suit off in panic situations more. ;)
Bike
  • 1h 51m 50s
  • 28 miles
  • 15.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Its a lonely road when your bike speed sucks. My legs just didn't seem to have it in them and at times really ached. As peeps passed me and the race thinned out and the crossing/traffic peeps left, I started talking to myself, to the cows, swearing at cars that would beep at other riders (who had passed me of course), and cussing myself for ever doing an Olympic distance. I knew it was bad when I finally came up upon another biker and PASSED him... he was really struggling and probably weighed about 400 lbs. Also... nearly got lost because of construction - thank God some guy was still standing in the midst of it all! I also had to PEE again! I tried several times to just let 'er rip while on the bike but either couldn't let go, or another racer would come up and pass, or a car etc.. and as I got closer to town just figured I'd hold it.

I don't know... more speed work? Maybe take a laxative the night before so I wasn't so dang constipated? CRYPTS...stick to sprints? Hang up my triathlon shoes? I mean I ain't a spring chix but dang, the winners are usually my age. Maybe I need to borrow Ironman's jet packs ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Well... seemed the sprint was over by the time I got in so people were in my way as they were packing up and leaving.

finish earlier?
Run
  • 1h 08m 6s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I slugged it out on the run. As I got close to the end, I saw some guy on the side of the road and I said, "Don't know if I'll ever do this again", and he said, "You've only got 400 yards to go". And my lightbulb went off in my little 'lets beat Sarah up about this sucky race day performance' head that said "Anyone can run 400 yards!!!" and off I went. As I came to the finish I heard "a runner !! a runner is coming!" - as if I were a long lost fisherman who'd fallen off the boat but somehow had floated 500 miles to shore. I hooted and hollered as I crossed the line and laughed too at the humbling experience.

Um, where to begin? Run more, longer... but first have legs left after the bike ;) Actually, considering I stopped to pee, walked, and had asthma issues, the run pace aint' my worst.
Post race
Warm down:

They were breaking down the venue by the time I got back. I didn't bother with trying to find food...just wanted to get home to head out for brunch with the family. Met some donks though...was great to FINALLY meet some of you peeps! You are some wild and crazy animals ain'cha?! ;) And JMWebbs proved to actually be a live person instead of the phantom donkey racer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age? Sleep? No real rest days prior to taper? Lack of training? Afraid to push? I will have to learn from this...
Was really tired by afternoon... felt whipped.

Event comments:

In spite of my suckola race, I did come in 3rd in my age group because of the 4 entrants in the women's 45-50 AG, only 3 showed and I therefore came in 3rd ;) What a hoot! They are going to mail me my trophy cuz I didn't even check afterwards...can ya blame me? Who'd a thunk?! Probably my one and only trophy so I'll take it. My 5 year old son was ecstatic when I told him I get a trophy! ;)

Last updated: 2008-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:20 | 1444 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 0/282
Performance: Average
Out and back around big orange blob-type bouys. Only got freaked at first when I grabbed a big handful of seaweed and then had to breast stroke a bit.Water seemed warmer than the air.
Suit: full promotion - thanks BT!
Course: Got to outside...got off course a couple of times.. sun on one side in my face, chop on other side.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:51:50 | 28 miles | 15.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Performance: Bad
Abysmal time. It's slower than any sprint since first one. I'm so disapointed.
Wind: Some
Course: Rode some roads I trained on (in reverse). Big loop.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:06 | 06.2 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Performance: Below average
Out and back along lake/neighborhood. Pretty as I got away from 'downtown'. Had to pee and knew I'd never make it out on the run and back feeling like I was going to explode. So I ran to a public bathroom in the park and as I did so, a spectator yelled, "No, it's that way!" but I yelled back "I know but I gotta pee!!!!!" She laughed. And it was one of the longest pees I had to pee in a long time or so it seemed.
Course: It was another lonely run... started out ok, had to walk LOTS. Some people passed me so I felt better knowing I wasn't that far behind. My asthma started to act up so I used my inhaler 3x and then my lungs felt fried. I was getting a big blister on my big toe too. I kidded with the H2O stations that I was bringing up the rear and that I was probably last so they could leave soon. One H2O guy said 'well, you are finishing, that's way better than millions of other people who wouldn't even dream of tri-ing." (he had a point) Anyhow some kids yelled "way to go" I laughed at the irony.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-11 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1596107

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I don't know why you're being so hard on yourself, you did AWESOME!  Seriously!! You crossed the finish line with a whoop too! I mean come on! What more can you ask for?  Just do it again next year knowing you'll be better!  My 1st Oly sucked too. I was last yet I won 3rd in my group.LOL!  Really laugh it off, take the experience and roll with it! You are an OLY now! WOOHOO!  Congratulations.
2008-08-11 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Well I'm sorry you didn't have the race you wanted, but the water guy had it right: you were doing something a whole lot of people wouldn't dream of attempting...and you kept your sense of humor!

Bright spots: Nice swim time (almost identical to mine ), got out of your wetsuit in less than 10 minutes, didn't get lost on the bike, you finished the run on your own power, you were spared eating the crappy post race food, took home hardware and saw that I was a real person! Sounds like a pretty good day! Nice to see that you wern't a figment of my imagination too!
2008-08-12 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran

Yeah what Jim said.  I think we all have some doubts during a race, but we keep moving on.  You did great.  Next one will be a little easier.  Congrats on the hardware too.

2008-08-12 6:22 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Hey, I'm sorry I missed seeing you coming in. And, I'm sorry you didn't have the race you hoped for. But, I'm gonna remind you that your time was actually faster than you were predicting by about 10 minutes, isn't it? I seem to recall you were predicting a 3:40. So, stop being so hard on yourself, girly girl. You completed an Olympic! Woo hoo!
2008-08-12 7:22 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

sorry i didnt know you before the race otherwise i wouldve been out there on the course to run ya in!!!  great job on getting some hardware too!!  NEXT time you do an oly you will do lots better and feel better too cuz you will know the distance then.  great job out there and nice to meet you !!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! 

2008-08-12 10:32 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You made it to shore! Too bad about your bike time, BUT YOU GOT AN AG TROPHY!!!!!!

EEEEAAAAAWWWW!!!

2008-08-14 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI

Great job on your first olympic, Sarah! Just be happy for having the courage to begin, and the strength to finish. I was really unhappy with my first oly....real bad swim, flat tire, etc, but I just look past it, and remeber that I finished, and I KNOW that I can do better....just had a bad day. If you're not happy with your performace just think, you can do another oly and show what you can really do. That's what I think about at least Smile.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed