5430 Sports Corp.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 05m 21s
Overall Rank = 194/1000
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/143
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00. decent sleep (pretty solid 4.5hrs). breakfast: espresso gu, water, peanut butter and toast. Packed up my transition bag and off to the res. Got a good rack (if that’s possible in Wave 8), just two bikes off the aisle.
Event warmup:

Did a quick bike, mainly to check out functionality. I had changed my cleats the night prior (look keo’s from gray (0 float) to red). When transition closed I took a jog out the run course nice and easy. Kept my swim gear in the car and walked to the water from there. Did a few laps swimming before Wave 8 start.
Swim
  • 36m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the “first row” middle/left. Did a dolphin dive at the start and hammered it pretty good. Not much difficulty staying on line since I had swimmers tight on both sides of me. Really good swimming on the way out, just on the inside and on the back of two swimmers. I trusted their sighting ability and just hung on their inside. In fact, it was so good I swam right into an orange buoy about halfway out – not much of an issue, just ended up going under it and reassumed my position on their inside. At the left turn I lost my draftees so I sighted for myself. It got worse on my way in. I was sighting every 10 strokes and kept having to adjust left. This leg was taking forever! Started to feel a little tired on the way in, but not too bad. I was starting to pay a price for hiking my wetsuit up too high – the jewels were really screaming, and accordingly, I was doing very little kicking. Finally started to get a group together and was able to find a few set of feet just before the last left turn and on the final stretch.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I put in a solid swim and had a goal of under 34min. I was floored to see 1h 12min (37min for me) on the clock as I ran into transition! That’s like 4 min off what pace I felt like I did, so I assumed they started us late or something. Regardless of the time, I had the rest of my race to execute so I didn’t think about it any more. I strongly believe the course was long. Each time I do this race my swim time gets slower but my swim rank improves.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Since I was going to wear socks on the run I decided to wear them on the bike too and put my shoes on at the rack. I don’t think it cost me too much time. I just started this year doing “flying” mounts/dismounts and really prefer to run barefoot, but this wasn’t the time for that. Got the socks on quickly, had a bit of trouble stuffing my jersey pockets with my nutrition. Oh, and my garmin broke. I strap my 305 around my aero bar, and as I was running out I was adjusting the screen setting and the band broke. I was able to keep it “taped” on the bar for the bike.

Not much at all. This was pretty good.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Very high hr for the first 5 miles, which is nothing new coming off the swim/T1 for me. Got down into steady z2 by mile 10 and loaded up the cages at the first aid station. Did the first lap in 1:17:28 (ave hr 159, cad 91) and the second in 1:16:15 (ave hr 154, cad 89) – some of which is likely due to the grade on 51st. Anyway, I was surprised at the negative split, especially considering I felt terrible on the second lap. My arms, shoulders, and back were all starting to tighten up. I was moving around quite a bit on looking forward to each excuse to get out of aero to stretch everything out.
Nutrition: first loop took bottle of water and nearly a bottle of gae, 2 gu, half powerbar. Second loop finished the power bar, a gu, two slim jims, another bottle of water and ~ half bottle of gae. I was counting ounzes and calories the entire ride and felt like I kept up on nutrition/hydration nicely.
A few notes on the course: the new u-turn on 63rd sucks. People were unclipping and stopping – simply dangerous and annoying. I got some air while in the aero position coming off a speed bump coming into the res – that would have made a great pic!

Probably not much. If anything, take it easier.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

OK. Starting running to the wrong row, but caught myself before I went too far out of my way
Run
  • 1h 50m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Pathetic. Plan was to go 1:40. wanted to start out pacing 7:45 for the first five miles. I didn’t feel good, but not terrible either. The first section is tougher than the second so I just wanted to get to the 5mm on pace. I was 7:57 pace at that point and feeling terrible (fatigue, tired, sore, tired). I slowed it down and took cola and water at each aide station. I picked up the pace each time I started feeling stronger, but what felt like 7:30 pace was really 8:30 – couldn’t believe my pacing.

good question
Post race
Warm down:

drank beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still in question. I don’t think I overdid it on the bike. My training has been trash (overstatement) the last couple months due to illness, work, & family. I did miss and/or cut short very key workouts. I knew what I was doing at the time and knew it would lower my changes to go sub-5, but life happens. However, I toed the line knowing I had a good chance to execute to my goals – and the weather was awesome! No excuses there. I’m frustrated, and motivated at the same time.

Last updated: 2008-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/143
Overall: 257/1000
Performance: Below average
Suit: Pipeline Nineteen
Course: 1 loop in the res. left had turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:33:58 | 56 miles | 21.82 mile/hr
Overall: 213/1000
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 219/1000
Performance: Bad
Course: two loops on hard-pack. aid's at each mile. tough course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-12 10:15 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: 5430 Long Course Triathlon

2008-08-13 12:52 AM
in reply to: #1599317

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: 5430 Long Course Triathlon

Glad you are motivated.  Bummer about the run and I had to laugh about your swim or maybe just the manner in which you chose to wear the wetsuit. 

Hope the knee is better soon.

2008-08-13 1:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Very nice race! The swim course was definitely longer.
2008-08-13 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great race especially if you feel your training hasn't been that focused. I know how you feel, frustrated and motivated. I'd love to have been frustrated by a 1:50 run split but of course I'd just still want to be faster... Great meeting you.
2008-08-13 9:40 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
You did great for what your training allowed!  Nice swim, yes it was long, nice bike and tough run!  Way to hang in there.  Good to see you in the beer tent afterwards.  THat is a tough half IM at altitude no doubt.
2008-08-13 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Great job overall! Sorry to hear that the run didn't go as expected, but it sounds like you did the best you could with all of the other circumstances. Sometimes frustration turns into the best kind of motivation, too.

2008-08-13 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Great report! You did awesome considering your missed training. BTW, I'm going to look at my overall place in the swim compared to last year! I wonder if I improved too???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed