General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how bad is it to not eat before a bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-14 10:26 AM

Huntsville, Tx
Subject: how bad is it to not eat before a bike ride
i am only talking about a 8-10 mile ride but, i get up in the morning and im not hungry at all. how bad does it effect my performance and how bad is it on my body. i stay hydrated during and after the ride. after a challenging 8 miles this morning (lots of hills) i felt kinda dizzy after the ride. take into consideration i am a newb and am just getting started. my new bike only has about 50 miles on it. oh i am riding a road bike if that helps.

Edited by stdjsw311 2008-08-14 10:28 AM

2008-08-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1603196

User image

Tallahassee and St. Augustine
Subject: RE: how bad is it to not eat before a bike ride

Personally I wouldn't eat before a ride that small.... but when it comes down to it, it will depend on your body and its needs. For longer rides I usually eat something very lite.

Another option would be to take a little something on the ride with you, maybe some kind of sports bar. 

2008-08-14 12:41 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I normally would say no big deal not to eat before that short of a ride BUT if you're feeling dizzy you might play with something small.  A banana? A cup of yogurt? A glass of milk?  A piece of toast?  All might help you.  I know that sometimes I have a hard time eating and it get exacerbated in the winter when I'm heading up to ski.  No way I feel like eating at 5am but I have to force myself to do it. 
2008-08-14 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1603722

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Bad for you?  Probably not.  Worse thing that could happen is feeling slugish or have a poor performance (for a standard person).  If you have some blood sugar issues, it could be a different story.  It's probably up to the individual.

I just finished a 50 plus mile bike ride with no breakfast over the weekend.  It wasn't that bad.  My plan WAS to bring some gels with me, but I left them on the coffee table - dumb...

However, I still thought it could be a good thing.  The body needs calories from somewhere, and I had none in my system, so they come from muscle and fat.  Since my intensity was reasonably low, I was able to take in enough O2 for the effort and metabolize mostly fat...

2008-08-14 2:04 PM

Huntsville, Tx
yeah im doing this to lose weight, im 210 5"10. i have increased the amount i can ride by 2 times with in a week. but, i should try a banana or something lite and see how that works. thanks for the replys!
2008-08-26 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Like you, I find it very hard to eat in the morning, especially before a bike ride.  My typical day starts with getting up, getting dressed and getting on the bike for am 8.5 mile ride to work.  After showering, I have coffee and fruit because by that time, I'm ready for it.   But beforehand ... forget about it!

If you can stomach it, do eat a piece of fruit (bananas are great in the morning!) or have bar or gel before your ride.  Give it a shot for a while, because it will get easier to take after you've done it, and while not unhealthy (IMHO) for shorter rides, I never hurts to have some fuel in the tank.

2008-08-26 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

They call it 'breakfast' because you are 'Breaking your fast" from the night, so you have very little in your tank when you wake up.  I started making smoothies in the AM and its been good for me.  Gives me quick fuel in my stomach when I workout.  Its filling, but not heavy or solid and the natural sugars to give me a little extra energy.

Here’s my basic recipe:

¼ cup yogurt

¼ cup milk

½ cup oj

1 Banana

1 TBS natural peanut butter

and ½ cup of fruit (Strawberries, blueberries etc depending on whats fresh or in season)

I blend in the ‘magic bullet’ and get my single serving size. 

Depending on my workout, I may have 2 eggs when I get home. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how bad is it to not eat before a bike ride Rss Feed