General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Training Foods Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-14 8:06 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Vegetarian Training Foods

I'm in need of some vegetarian/vegan nutritional advice. 

I was a vegetarian for a decade and began eating poultry in college. Now, 4 years out of college, I've decided to get back to my old ways of no-meat eating. I've done a good job, feel great about it, but haven't lost weight and am getting bored because now I'm working out, I'm craving things more. So far I haven't had trouble with getting through my workouts, recovering from them or any other health-related issues. But I'm bored with the way I eat and I'm not losing the last 10 pounds I'd love to lose.  Although I was a semi-long distance runner in college in my "free" time, I wasn't vegetarian. Now that I'm doing more multi-sport racing and want to focus on really building endurance and strength while losing weight, I feel like I my diet is what's lacking.

So, does anyone have any good vegetarian/vegan recipes for athletes/someone in training for multi-sport events that would also help me lose weight?

Edited by triniki 2008-08-14 8:10 PM

2008-08-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1604923

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Vegetarian Training Foods
Might want to look up (screenname) Paulettejo, she is pretty knowledgeable on this stuff and knows where to look (she is Vegan). I am a very new vegetarian (almost 2 months) and I have actually never felt better and was able to lose those last 5 pounds.

I am in love with Greek Yogurt right now (obviously NOT Vegan) but lots of protein and other good stuff. Thats my go to superfood at the moment.

I can also suggest to look at the book Thrive by Brendan Brazier. He's a Vegan Ironman Triathlete and it has tons of tips and nutrition advice in it. REAL good stuff from what I hear, I have yet to read it.

GOOD LUCK!!!
2008-08-15 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1605186

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-15 9:11 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Here are some of my staple dinners!

I really enjoy rice/veggie/bean dishes. Mix and match ingredients. Brown rice or basmati rice are my favorites, onions/peppers/mushrooms/whatever you have on-hand, black/kidney/checkpeas are my go-to beans. With different spices or sauces you can turn a dish like this into Asian, Mexican, or American cuisine.

Spring Rolls are great. Rice Paper Wrappers filled with sprouts, carrots, cucumbers, basil, etc. - dip in hoisen or soy sauce.

Homemade veggie/cheese pizza - easy on the cheese if you're watching your weight. Okay, or Amy's brand store-bought

Pasta and veggies with a home-made pesto sauce.

Black bean enchiladas with lots of veggies (I use onion, green pepper, poblano pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes). Again, easy on the cheese if you're watching your weight.
2008-08-15 1:25 PM

New user

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get my hands on that book, Thrive, and when I do, I will definately share the info.

I'm a bean, rice, nut & cottage cheese freak. I feel like I need to broaden my horizons and force myself to be a bit more creative with my meals. This summer has been particularly hectic and life certainly isn't going to slow down at all come September (I'm a guidance counselor, grad student, restaurant manager, beginner triathlete, homeowner, etc), but as I've made time to train I think I need to make time to be more focused and deliberate with my meals.

I also think I'm one of those people that needs to have a network of people experiencing the same situations, and I'm hoping BT is the one! I'm the only true veggie I know (within my immediate surroundings, anyways) and it's not easy in my world of carnevores (sp?). How do you all cope with crazy schedules and doing separate meal preparation to produce health benefits (i.e. weight loss, muscle strength, energy, etc.)? What are your daily routines like? I know I can't be the only one with a crazy life out there...

So, anyways, thanks for the info!

2008-08-15 1:32 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

I'm not a vegetarian, but enjoy a vegetarian meal now and then.  My favorite quick lunch is;

-1 can garbanzo (chickpeas) - rinsed

-chopped celery

-choppend carrot

-chopped zuchini

-whatever other veggie

-parsley

-chili powder

-cumin

-hot sauce

-vinegar and oil

Sounds a bit strange, but my 8yo loves it too (without the hotsauce).  Basically I just put in whatever veggies I have and make the dressing.  Very filling, with good protien too.

Parsley really helps with the digestion.

Edited by Winston63 2008-08-15 1:32 PM

2008-08-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1606620

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
triniki - 2008-08-15 1:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get my hands on that book, Thrive, and when I do, I will definately share the info.

I'm a bean, rice, nut & cottage cheese freak. I feel like I need to broaden my horizons and force myself to be a bit more creative with my meals. This summer has been particularly hectic and life certainly isn't going to slow down at all come September (I'm a guidance counselor, grad student, restaurant manager, beginner triathlete, homeowner, etc), but as I've made time to train I think I need to make time to be more focused and deliberate with my meals.

I also think I'm one of those people that needs to have a network of people experiencing the same situations, and I'm hoping BT is the one! I'm the only true veggie I know (within my immediate surroundings, anyways) and it's not easy in my world of carnevores (sp?). How do you all cope with crazy schedules and doing separate meal preparation to produce health benefits (i.e. weight loss, muscle strength, energy, etc.)? What are your daily routines like? I know I can't be the only one with a crazy life out there...

So, anyways, thanks for the info!

I'm one of those people who eat multiple small meals throughout the day. I've gotten into eating small things that require no preparation (for breakfast and lunch) like Larabars, string cheese, bottled smoothies, clif bars, etc. For dinners I will work out first, then make something when I get home. If my boyfriend is dining with me, he will usually just eat what I make! If he wants some meat in his, he will pull out some chicken and cook it himself, throw it in at the end.

I do have most of my evenings free, which sounds like you may not...
Sometimes I will make a big casserole or pot of soup, then portion out individual servings and freeze. Easy to pull out later for a quick meal.
2008-08-15 10:55 PM

Veteran
Austin TX
Quinoa is good. I often eat it instead of rice or pasta. It's supposed to have the highest amount of protein for a whole grain. You can also put honey or fruit on it and eat it like oatmeal for breakfast (I haven't actually tried this yet).

Edamame is also great. It has some protein as well.
2008-08-15 11:09 PM

2008-08-15 11:10 PM

2008-08-16 7:12 AM

Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I am certainly no vegan but I sure do eat like one sometimes. I love Tofu. The local organic food store specializes in making tofu so they will have a variety of kinds. Smoked, peanut, curry, teriyaki, or marinade some of your own plain tofu. I like to get creative with these ingredients and build wraps or other delectables.  

2008-08-16 1:25 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
I love the book Vegan Planet. It has super easy recipes that my whole family like and it has some great info in it about vegan/vegetarian eating. I love chocolate soy milk or vanilla Almond milk for recovery after workouts
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Training Foods Rss Feed