General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 and bike shoes... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-17 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: T1 and bike shoes...
Just watched the super duper helpful "setting up your transition area" video right here on BT and finally got to see up close and personal how to do the whole bike-shoe-attached-to-bike-put-them-on-while-riding trick.

That...looks complicated.

And also very fast and cool. I want to learn how to do that. Any suggestions? (Besides from, um, doing that on grass the first 37 times?). Is there a trick? I'm worried I'll totally lose my balance. Also, I wear socks with my bike shoes...is it harder to slip the shoes on if you're wearing socks? The video suggested rubbing body glide or vaseline around the edges of the shoe to make sliding them on easier, but somehow that strikes me as useful only if you're gonna go barefoot...

2008-08-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1608724

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: T1 and bike shoes...

The "trick" is doing it a lot. That's it. Not very hard at all after you've done it lots of times. FWIW I get on and off my bike with the shoes clipped in on every ride. Socks on doesn't make any difference, except you will be losing a small bit of time in T1.

If you have pedals with small platform, like Look, you can initially practice the running mount with just regular shoes. That way you can get used to how to balance on the bike while running with it and jumping on. After you get the hang of that, put the bike shoes on it. Practice makes perfect. You can also practice taking your feet in and out of the bike shoes while riding slowly. The whole thing really isn't that difficult. I just about mastered it with about 20 minutes of practice the day before I first used it in a race.

2008-08-17 12:37 PM

User image

SC
I used my bike trainer to do this and just make it my routine every time I ride indoors. After doing that and getting comfortable I just carried it over to the outdoor rides and just make it routine there as well. I start out bare footed (sock footed) whenever I get ready to ride now. It's like anything else, the more you do it the more comfortable and faster you get at it.

On a trainer you don't have to worry about losing your balance and can just focus on getting you feet in/out. Outdoors for the first few times is a little tricky with balance and all but the worst thing you can do is not give yourself enough room to safely get your feet in your shoes or go to slow while trying to get your feet in. So my advice if you don't have an indoor trainer is to give yourself plenty of room and have some descent speed built up to help you balance. Not 40mph flying downhill speed but 10-15 should do it. It's incredibly harder to do in the grass due to how quickly you'll come to a stop and have to start pedaling again. If you miss or things aren't going well just leave your feet out pedal a few more times and try again. Parking lots or empty roads are best IMO to practice this.
2008-08-17 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
The trick is balance and bike handling.  The more often you ride your bike, the better your balance and handling will become.  Then, that 'trick' will be pretty easy to do.
2008-08-17 5:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-17 5:51 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Yes, feet on top of the shoe's and some pedaling will get you up to speed and out of the Mount Line area. Then you can work one foot in, pedal some more, and then do the other, pedal some more, then do the straps. And thin rubber band can be used to hold the shoe's upright and to prevent them from spinning upside down for that initial push off.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1 and bike shoes... Rss Feed