Canada
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 2s
Overall Rank = 9/175
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

The race was at 2pm so got up at a reasonnable time and prepared slowly to leave. 2 hour drive. The only reason why I raced this weekend was because all my co-workers were doing the relay in the sprint category and I wanted to be there to cheer them and take a few pictures.

The day before the race, we got an email from the RD telling us we would do a duathlon instead of the tri. Water quality was baaaad!
Event warmup:

Cheered my co-workers while putting some sun lotion, yes I did...this time! :) Then, I went for a 15 minute bike, followed by 10 minute run. I went to the athletes meeting 20 to 30 minutes before and tried to find some shade. Kept hydrating myself (thanks mom!), stretched and relaxed. Lots of youngsters on the starting line so I felt like I had to start strong, but not too much because I didn't want to fade too much later in the race.
Run
  • 17m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Faaast run! I was determined to stay with the lead pack but didn't want to push it "too hard" too fast. Nothing major to report except a little pain below the right calf. I was pretty much high Z4 all along and asked myself repeatedly why I was doing this!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Be 15 years younger to be at the same level as my main competitors...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T1. Found my bike immediatly but I was quite breathless after that 17 minutes run!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 48s
  • 20 kms
  • 35.50 km/hr
Comments:

The first 5 km were toouuugh! The legs weren't cooperating and I got passed twice I think. Grrrr! Then, it got a little better and I picked it up and passed a few guys but not much of my category/ distance.

No TT bike, sadly since my Kueen K is broken. I think it made a difference on my time. I feel more powerful on the Kuota. Oh well, not much I can do since I didn't want to be transfixed by a carbon fork!

Buy a better bike! ;) Not much since I think the fact it was a Du, I don't train for those.

Only disappointment is that last year was faster than this year even if it was an Oly. I thnk wind was a factor though. Tough to say...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Worst T2 EVER! I got in the wrong row and couldn't spot my place. Transition area was almost empty and I couldn't see my shoes or my red bag...that wasn't in the T area. When I came back from my bike WU, there was someone that racked his bike in front of me and there wasn't enough space for all our stuff. So I took my bag out, which I shouldn't have.

^^^
Run
  • 08m 52s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 03m 33s  min/km
Comments:

Pretty happy about that run too. I thought I was way slower than that! Felt like I was going 7:15min/mile. So all in all pretty happy. Nobody passed me there and I almost caught someone, I needed a couple hundred meters to pass him.

I went out of T2 thinking to myself that I needed to shut the pain for 10 more minutes. Happily it took less than that.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with my peeps, drank and cheered a few teammates. Thanked at least 20 volunteers and then headed out for a bike cool down. Ate a bit and went for a 20 minute massage. Nice! Oh and got my medal. I was pretty happy to learn that the 8 guys that finished in front of me were "elites". :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having my TT bike and not being a duathlete.

Event comments:

Very cool race once again.

Last updated: 2008-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:23 | 05 kms | 03m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 10/175
Performance: Good
Course: 2.5km loop in a bike path and halfway going in the street.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:33:48 | 20 kms | 35.50 km/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 17/175
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops of 10km. Pretty flat course but with some headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:08:52 | 02.5 kms | 03m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 12/175
Performance: Good
Course: Same course, only this time it was 1 loop before going home!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon de Drummondville

2008-08-19 2:53 AM
in reply to: #1612117

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Drummondville
Congratulations!!  Incredible race.  I'm sure that having not spent time on the roadie contributed to the feeling on the bike, but please note that you still smoked it.  Glad you remembered the sunscreen this time.
2008-08-19 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Wow... amazing job out there!!  I'll bet your coworkers were suprised  to see they work with such a fastie   Good call on the suncreen this time especially with the 2PM start!

2008-08-19 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

You know, I think you should give a little more love to your Cannondale. It got you here and did the best she could.

What kind of strange race starts at 2?

Great race...run was good, very good. Bike ride wasn't as bad (by time) as you make it sound.

Next time, maybe try tying some balloons on the transition stuff so you can see it from far away?

2008-08-19 1:19 PM

Pro
AZ
WOOT! Awesomely fast as usuall!  You should be an "elite" too!!  Although they have to race in speedos. 
2008-08-19 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
and yet another bling to add to your collection, great work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Drummondville Rss Feed