Lake Norman YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 57s
Overall Rank = 24/205
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

More detailed race report on my tri blog!

Spent alot of time stretching and massaging my TIGHT muscles the past few days. I finally feel somewhat loose again. Goal for today is to cut 1 minute off last year's swim time and get sub 50 in the bike. I'll run only as fast as my tight muscles will allow, as I don't want to get injured.
Event warmup:

Got lost on way to race site, so didn't have time for bike warmup. I jogged on sandy volleyball court and did some strides and LOTS of stretching to get loose.
Swim
  • 15m 44s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam strong and straight first half, stayed with a big pack. On the second half, the sun was so bright right in my eyes. I couldn't see a darn thing. Stopped alot to look for the buoy, but couldn't see it at all, so just kept swimming toward the light. Seemed to work okay, but all the stopping slowed me down.
What would you do differently?:

Tinted goggles tho I'm not even sure that would have helped!
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Skipped my flying mount this race. I think my subconscious mind knew that my tight muscles would not like it. (When I got home later in the day, I tripped up the stairs, and recovered. But ouch, my tight leg muscles did not like the fast reaction.)
Bike
  • 49m 26s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 22.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to get a top bike split this race, so I really went hard. I did get the #1 bike split in my age group, and #9 overall females. I'm very happy with that result!

I chanted "knees to the top tube, tight tight tight" the whole bike, except when going up a hill, sometimes I'd chant "work it, work it, work it". I always chant things in my head to stay focused!

Some freakin idiot pickup truck trailing a boat turned off a side street in front of me. I had to slam my brakes, my back wheel skidded, and I almost wiped out. DICKWAD! That cost me 10 seconds, and I lost third place by less than that!

Bring a rocket launcher for that DICKWAD truck driver!
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty sure I was in third place at the start of the run. I watched my back alot during the run. I didn't feel as strong as my last race in the run, probably b/c I put so much into the bike. A woman sped past me right before the finish line and caught me off guard. I didn't see her coming at all! I made a mad dash to catch her, and but she was ahead of me when I went over the timing mat. I forgot that there are TWO timing mats, so slumped over in defeat. The crowd cheered me on to keep going, but it was too late - I had lost momentum and she won. She asked me my name, and then told me she's been trying to beat me all season. Turns out, she's the one who I beat at White lake by 7 seconds. Today, she beat me by 7 seconds. I sought her out after the awards to congratulate her. She was really nice, and I felt we made a connection. Nice to have a friendly rivalry.

Make a mad dash for the finish - always assuming someone is on my tail!!! I really was just holding on because I was tired. And I won't forget that there are TWO timing mats a the finish. What an idiot!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

really tight muscles.

Event comments:

I feel a great sense of relief that I'm not crushed about missing the podium this race (I've had podium finishes in all my other races this year). I had a great race, had fun, met some nice people, including BT'rs love2tri (Alice) and a guy she was with (sorry, can't remember your name!). A great day. Oh, and Alice got 1st place in her age group - WAY TO GO!!! I wish I could have met some other BT'rs! I didn't know what you all looked like, tho!

I beat my time from last year by over 4 minutes. 1 minute on the swim, 2 on the bike, and 1 on the run :)

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:44 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 34/205
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:26 | 18.64 miles | 22.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 9/205
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 81/205
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-23 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Lake Norman YMCA

2008-08-24 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1623510

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Lake Norman YMCA

Congrats on a great race!  That's a blazing fast bike split you threw down! 

That's funny about you and your rival trading the 7 secs.  You'll have to be on the lookout for her next time!

Hopefully I'll see you at Pinehurst.

alice 

2008-08-24 3:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Congratulations on a great race.
The lady who passed you is a worthy opponent. She swims in my masters swim program next to my lane and I know she qualified and ran Boston couple times.
As a matter of fact 30-34 and 50-54 first place ladies bikes and swims with us as well.
Well done and good luck in your A race.
2008-08-24 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
great race!  nice bike.  get loose in time for Pinehurst
2008-08-25 6:51 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

good race, girl! btw, 4 mins is a lot of time to take off! hope you had a blast!

2008-08-25 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
"CarolAnn, don't follow the light!"  Just kidding!  Great race.  DICKWAD - that is a good one, I'll have to remember that!  I've met several of them out on the road. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Norman YMCA Rss Feed