General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Morning/Afternoon Workouts...Big Difference, but why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2008-08-25 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: Morning/Afternoon Workouts...Big Difference, but why?

So I do most of my running in the mornings.  This is mostly because that's the only time of day I can garuantee that I'll have time and because during the summer it's not as hot.  However, for those infrequent times I run in the afternoon/evening, I always run significantly faster  with much less effort.

Today was supposed to be a very easy recovery run.  It was short and to start I wasn't paying attention to pace, but after about a mile I noticed I was moving along about 45s/mile faster than I was 'supposed' to.  My RPE was very low, and my HR was very low, but my pace was faster than it is when I run in the mornings. 

I could be wrong, I suspect there are two reasons for this:
1.  At the end of the day my muscles are warm and primed for a workout
2.  I've been eating all day so I have calories to burn as opposed to when I wake up after 8 hrs of sleep

I enjoy running, so I don't want to turn it into a practice of being a slave to numbers, but I still find this interesting.  So, to satisfy my curiosity, my questions are:

-Physiologically, why am I running faster and a lower RPE and lower HR in the afternoon?
-Compared to my morning runs, am I getting the same training adaptations by running at the same pace, HR or RPE?  It obviously can't be all three.
-Which do I train to?   (This of course is up to my coach...)

2008-08-25 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1625611

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Morning/Afternoon Workouts...Big Difference, but why?

I am the exact same way but for me I do most of my running at lunch and when I occasionally run in the am it is much slower. 

I think most of it is mental with me.  I just don't like running in the dark, I like seeing what is around me so I think I just run slower.

2008-08-25 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
In addition to food, hydration may be a factor.  First thing in the morning, you're probably slightly dehydrated from the night. 
2008-08-25 11:07 AM

User image

Regular
South AL
That is very interesting to me as I have the exact opposite problem. When I rarely run in the afternoons, I feel like I am struggling to make my legs move and finish the run. I know it also doesn't help doing it in the summer in South Alabama, but..... My morning runs are much better.
2008-08-25 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1625713

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

goodday2tri - 2008-08-25 8:07 PM That is very interesting to me as I have the exact opposite problem. When I rarely run in the afternoons, I feel like I am struggling to make my legs move and finish the run. I know it also doesn't help doing it in the summer in South Alabama, but..... My morning runs are much better.

Believe me, Southern Afghanistan during the summer isn't condusive to working out either! 

"I feel like I am struggling to make my legs move and finish the run."  that could describe me in the mornings.

Unfortunately, most races are in the morning as well

2008-08-25 11:25 AM

User image

Tyler,
you answered your on question.

2008-08-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1625792

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm the same.  But I do most of my running in the afternoon.  I feel awake and fresh...

The few times I did anything in the morning, I feel tired and sluggish.  Another reason I don't like to workout early in the a.m. - my workouts feel labored and slow.

2008-08-25 11:50 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

goodday2tri - 2008-08-25 12:07 PM That is very interesting to me as I have the exact opposite problem.

Same here ....... I usually run into GI issues when I run in the afternoon.  That was something that plagued me when I started running back in school and the military and was one of the main reasons I never thought I could be a decent distance runner.

There have been instances where I've had good runs in the afternoon compared to the morning but that can probably be attributed to any number of factors.  It is not a consistant thing for me.

2008-08-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1625792

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

triritter - 2008-08-25 8:25 PM you answered your on question.

Maybe, but it was intended as a discussion topic, not neccessarily questions to a specific question.  Thanks for the help though

2008-08-25 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1625650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

McFuzz - 2008-08-25 10:52 AM In addition to food, hydration may be a factor. First thing in the morning, you're probably slightly dehydrated from the night.

I think this is what happens to me in the morning... My night runs are real strong, but I think it's because I've had plenty to eat and drink all day. I seem to run out of gas in the AM.  

2008-08-25 1:43 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I am going to say it is because during the afternoon you are better fueled than your AM session. For that reason IMO you are probably getting better adaptations on your afternoon sessions (you run faster, you are better fueled hence you can recover faster, etc.). I think is Pfizer who suggest doing some runs on the fuel depleted side to train the body to work that way; I am not sure I agree 100% with it but I can see some merit to the thinking doing it just a few runs here and there. 

In the end, for the working AGer who has to fit training into a busy schedule, he/she will have to go with whatever works better. If AM sessions are the most convenient to work with based on work schedule and/or other life priorities that going to be a lot better than attempting doing afternoon sessions which you might end up skipping due to work, weather, etc. But you can take care of the little details. i.e. If you can't fuel properly before your AM run then do so right after your done

2008-08-25 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

I've found running in the morning is also sluggish.   I have little energy and have had poor runs.  But...running after work, i feel ready to go.   That is surprising to most, because as a mailman i walk my route for 6 hours a day, then able to crank out some decent workouts in the evening.  

Now races in the morning for me are far better than the occasional twilight 5k's we have.  I can not race well afterwork, but in the morning i'm fresh and more awake for a race than my training days.  I think that is because i'll shower, have something to eat/drink beofre the race, whereas my AM training runs are roll out of bed, get dressed and go. 

2008-08-26 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I'll throw in the mental aspect.  you are more awake and your focus is better.  Some peope do their best work in the morning, some in the afternoon, some at night.  I am an early riser, but don't really "Function" until mid morning.  My best workouts are late afternoon.  But for races, I am always so wired in the morning I don't have any problems.
2008-08-26 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1625882

User image

Tyler,
Daremo - 2008-08-25 11:50 AM

goodday2tri - 2008-08-25 12:07 PM That is very interesting to me as I have the exact opposite problem.

Same here ....... I usually run into GI issues when I run in the afternoon.  That was something that plagued me when I started running back in school and the military and was one of the main reasons I never thought I could be a decent distance runner.

There have been instances where I've had good runs in the afternoon compared to the morning but that can probably be attributed to any number of factors.  It is not a consistant thing for me.

Hey same here man. They switched my work schedule up and now I can't stop dumping when I run in the afternoon. Hopefully I get used to it.

2008-08-26 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH
It isn’t very consistent for me. Mentally, I’m better in the afternoon but I’ve finally trained my GI system to get going in the morning after a quick cup of coffee and physically I feel better. Like Daremo, I have ‘problems’ in the afternoon. I’ve found the best time to do long workouts is right in between, say 10:00 am, of course that is normally only possible on the weekends.
2008-08-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1625882

Extreme Veteran
Daremo - 2008-08-26 4:50 AM

Same here ....... I usually run into GI issues when I run in the afternoon. That was something that plagued me when I started running back in school and the military and was one of the main reasons I never thought I could be a decent distance runner.

There have been instances where I've had good runs in the afternoon compared to the morning but that can probably be attributed to any number of factors. It is not a consistant thing for me.

Are the GI issues diet related? Too much food? Not the right kind of food? Eating too close or too far away from your workout etc? 

2008-08-26 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1629483

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Gerrard - 2008-08-26 2:59 PM Are the GI issues diet related?

I know for a fact that is the case for me.  But even waiting 4 or 5 hours after lunch I can still have some issues.  I never have them in the morning.

2008-08-26 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

In the AM hydration, nutrition & stiffness are definitely factors. Individual tolerances and habits do play a big roll. I do think there is a mental component with perception about how you feel in the morning. I would bet the 'morning' people would have a better workout than the late risers in the am even if they were a littel hungry compared the the later crowd.

My pm runs are generally faster if my meals are timed properly, unless its really hot. If you want good energy in the morning you can take steps to improve your performance. Mainly by what and when you eat the night before. Morning hydration is more challenging because you can't really drink too much while sleeping and a full bladder will interfere with your rest. Drinking a too much right before a run sucks too. That's when Sports drink works best for me, quick easy calories 20 minutes before I go out the door.  Staying properly hydrated the previous day will really help with the AM stuff.

2008-08-26 2:36 PM

User image

goodday2tri - 2008-08-25 12:07 PM That is very interesting to me as I have the exact opposite problem. When I rarely run in the afternoons, I feel like I am struggling to make my legs move and finish the run. I know it also doesn't help doing it in the summer in South Alabama, but..... My morning runs are much better.

Same here--but I'm in Pennsylvania.  I tried running on a Sunday evening and felt utterly demoralized by how poorly I did.  But in the mornings I run fine. 

2008-08-26 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
I'm fine in the morning if I've eaten and drank a bit of water HOWEVER yesterday I woke up, ate and ran out the door, setting myself up for a bad run. I think dehydration was the problem, and I ran too soon after breakfast, blahhh.
2008-08-26 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1629631

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I just get up and go.  No water, no food.  I've done 20 mile runs and centuries this way as long as I hydrate/eat at my usual times during the workout.  I've never been famished/parched during a morning workout unless I'm an hour or two into it and didn't take in anything during.

However, when I've done my lunch time recovery runs I've been absolutely starving even though I've eaten my usual breakfast.  It's weird .......

2008-08-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1629704

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Daremo - 2008-08-26 2:55 PM

I just get up and go.  No water, no food.  I've done 20 mile runs and centuries this way as long as I hydrate/eat at my usual times during the workout.  I've never been famished/parched during a morning workout unless I'm an hour or two into it and didn't take in anything during.

However, when I've done my lunch time recovery runs I've been absolutely starving even though I've eaten my usual breakfast.  It's weird .......

WOW!! i tried that once for a long run, and my stomach was gnawing itself!! I HAVE to eat before a workout.
2008-08-26 3:27 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
The only time I will eat in the morning before excercise is if it is a long race like a HIM/IM or marathon, and then it will still only be one or two Clif Bars no sooner than 3 hours before and 2 gels - one each at 45 minutes and 15 minutes before the start.
2008-08-26 3:37 PM

User image

San Antonio

I am a member of the 5AM club. If I don't work out early in the morning, the chances of it sliding down the list of priorities later in the day increases significantly. Between work, school, church, and other duties that I have, I try to get it done just like my AM shower.

Recently, I've been working out at the gym that I just joined and I love my 5AM workouts. I'm hooked on them, actually. I get up at 0345, grab a quickie breakfast like some fruit or a luna bar, feed the cats, make the bed, brush the teeth, braid the hair, get dressed, grab my bags (gym and lunch bags were packed in less than 15 minutes the night before) and hit the road. I get to the gym and do my workout, and sometimes I even have a few minutes for a sauna before the final shower.

I get hot coffee in the lounge area, too, and that makes it even better :-).

I show up at work with lots of energy and a good attitude.

IMO it's preference and what works best with the schedule. Whatever may or may not be more scientifically beneficial typically gets trumped by convenience and stick-to-itiveness. At least it's like that for me.

I love my AM workouts.....

2008-08-26 3:38 PM

User image

San Antonio
Oh and I forgot to mention that I enjoy doing my evening workouts, too...but those are always either run or bike, since I primarily do the pool in the mornings.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Morning/Afternoon Workouts...Big Difference, but why? Rss Feed  

of 1