General Discussion Triathlon Talk » napa valley or toyota desert???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-27 9:34 PM

New user

Subject: napa valley or toyota desert????

Ok ok, I know it's like comapring apples and oranges, but I want my first tri to be something very unique...and cool - for lack of a better word. Living the midwest, hubby and I are going to travel to Cali for my first tri.

So, anyone done one or both and can offer some advice? I'm making a two-column list right now!

ANY suggestions would be so welcome. Thanks in advance.

2008-08-27 11:22 PM
in reply to: #1633648

User image

Subject: RE: napa valley or toyota desert????

haven't done either, but since no one has responded...

I'd say Napa if you were looking to combine a tri and a nice little vacation.  Although Palm Springs isn't bad, but you gotta like deserts and such

2008-08-27 11:35 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife and I have done the Desert Tri...If you can budget a couple days for maybe Palm Springs and Joshua Tree NP, it wouldn't be a bad little vacation triathlon. The course is very flat...the "international" distance race is shorter than the official Olympic distance, esp. the swim...since you're talking about a first tri, though, I assume you'd be doing the sprint. It's a pretty spot, though, scenic in a very different way than Napa.
2008-08-27 11:46 PM

User image

Yes, joshua tree is beautiful, and should be nice in April
2008-08-28 1:03 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Napa should be much prettier with hills and grape vines and lots of wineries to try. Could possibly see some rain. Don't know the course, but would not suprised to find rolling hills.

Toyota is desert. Which will be a flatter race course. Might get hot in April but usually moderate temperatures.
2008-08-28 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Napa Valley is a favorite vacation place for my wife and I.  The wine, food, and pace are perfect for a romantic vacation, in our opinion.

I've never been to Palm Springs area but I've had enough of the desert for a while.

2008-08-28 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I did the Napa Valley sprint in April (or May? can't remember). It's a really fun race and a beautiful setting. The bike and run courses are hilly, but not awful, and it got a little hot by the end of the race since there isn't a lot of shade on the course. The race is very beginner-friendly, with lots of cheering for newbies, detailed instructions, a swim wave set aside for people who aren't very confident in the water, that kind of thing. There are certainly easier sprints you could do for your first one -- this race is a little longer than a traditional sprint -- but Napa's got a great vibe.

(If you want more details, feel free to read my race report. In fact, I'd recommend looking at race reports for both of these races before you make up your mind.)

Of course, others already mentioned the added benefit of a nice spot for vacationing before and after your race. Napa's definitely a great place to relax after a race.

2008-08-28 3:38 PM

Regular
I did Napa Valley back in May also. It was my first tri beside crashing 3 times on my bike when my defective crank arms fell off 3 times going up the hills. I had a blast. It is very newbie friendly. you get to pick your transition spot and even though you may choose a spot closer to the bike exit they still make you run to the finish line and back out the exit before getting on your bike. The view driving in and out of the park is also very nice. The water wasn't to cold i think they said it was 65. The bike has a couple of hills but not very big ones. The run course is 4 miles 2 miles out and 2 miles back. first 2 are mostly up a hill. so that means you get to finish going downhill!!

eta i just saw where they have moved the location from Putah Creek to Steele Park.

Edited by ericd256 2008-08-28 3:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » napa valley or toyota desert???? Rss Feed