Sun Multisport Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 48s
Overall Rank = 339/632
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/50
Pre-race routine:

I'm not much for routines. I usually wake up in time to take a quick shower and get on the road. I generally pack the night before. I don't get to the races extra early because I just end up standing around. I'll have a gu before the start of the swim and a gatorade on the drive down.
Event warmup:

Josh and I had a quick 10 minute swim and a little stretching waiting for the waves to go before us. I enjoyed having Josh in my waves this year. It's great to have someone to nervously chat with before the race.
Swim
  • 28m 54s
  • 1408 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I'm a crappy swimmer so this was good for me. I sighted well and drafted a little bit. People complained about the shallow murky water but this was my first non-ocean swim so the water seemed crystal clear to me. There was one spot that was very shallow but over all I loved this swim. I've taken a lesson since and now realize how I have no idea how to swim! I will be cutting minutes off my swim now that I have at least and idea of what to be doing. Lots of masters swims over the winter!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim BEFORE starting a year of triathlons!
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

This was a very long run between the water and T1. Suit came off quickly and shoes, sunglasses, and helmet went on well. I ran with my bike (which was the farthest possible rack) pretty quickly. Overall, I'm happy with this transition. After scanning the times for everyone else there weren't that many faster than mine that were MOPers. Still, I could get a LOT faster. Jorge did his in 1:56! I think the first 55 people were all under 3 minutes.

Run faster through transitions and not wipe feet.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 35s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

As bad a swimmer as I am my bike splits are always my worst event. I plan on spending a lot of time on the trainer this winter and really getting some bike legs. I should be at least above 50th percentile! What's funny is that this was a great race for me. I averaged 18.5 which I was very happy with. Just goes to show hoe much room for improvement I have. I felt as if I was pushing pretty hard the whole time while still holding a bit back for the run. I think mentally it was a good pace I just need to get stronger. Which I will.

Train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I took my shoes off on the bike for the first time in a race. It went pretty well. I had a bit of a tough time getting the shoes under my feet after taking them off though. It was really only maybe 3 misses which took like 2 seconds but I know it should be smoother. Although, watching the Boulder Peak Tri at home yesterday Matt Reed missed a few times too. Of course, he jumped off the bike while running which I didn't come close to doing. I also went to the wrong rack for a second. I ran well with the bike and the sneaks went on quickly and the helmet came off well also. A good transition overall.

Not spend 10 seconds at the wrong rack.
Run
  • 52m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried about nutrition and hydration since I've never done this distance before. I drank a little at each station for the first three miles before I realized it made me burpy and I really didn't need it. The last two stations I just dumped water on my head which was great. It was blasting sun out but the course was very shady which helped a lot. The volunteers were fantastic on all parts of the course but especially the run. Lots of great encouragment and very good seperation of HEED and water.

I ran well. I took it easy the first mile since I knew I had 5 more to go and didn't know how my body would react to this distance. My legs were heavy the first mile but not too bad. I picked it up a bit more each mile thereafter. I think by the last mile I was doing a 8 minute mile. I need a Garmin! I really had a good time running. My body was hurting a little and the wind was a bit lacking but I could have pushed harder. I just didn't want to die at the end. I know now that I could have pushed harder and still been fine. Still, a PR for the 10k for me!

Push harder earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

What an ending. Great finish chute, heard my name called, ran hard into the finish, got a great photo, and then the volunteers really took care of you. They took of my strap for me, put a ice cold towel and ice cold water in my hand and said congratualtions. I walked around for second, saw a buddy from work, and then met everyone from BT a little after my co-worker (actually bosses boss) and I got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Not knowing exactly how hard to push. Defintely could have gone faster. 2) Not knowing how to swim. 3) Need to train more on the bike. 4) Need to train more on the run. 5) Get faster in the transitions. I could have lowered both times by a minute by just running a bit harder throughout.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. My goal was 3:00 and I crushed that. Plus, I felt strong the whoel time and new I could have done even better. I'm beating 2:30 next year! The volunteers and the race organization/post activities were fantastic. It was great meeting all the BT'ers after the race. What a great group of people. Every single one of them (you).

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:54 | 1408 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 381/632
Performance: Good
Suit: Still have the free kayak sleeveless!
Course: One loop in Loon Pond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:35 | 24.9 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Overall: 412/632
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I loop around very little travelled roads. At times very bumpy but otherwise fantastic course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:25 | 06.2 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 301/632
Course: Slightly rolling scenic run. Very nice course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2008-09-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1643253

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon

Hey, nice race report and glad you had a great race. 

I can see smack coming next year....  you will be one of those who "smoke the course" (as isis said). 

2008-09-02 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

awesome job!!!!

2008-09-02 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
great job If only I could run that fast....sigh story of my life

Edited by Socks 2008-09-02 5:33 PM
2008-09-03 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, great race! Congrats! You're far too hard on your swim and bike splits. For not knowing how to swim, that is still a great time and the bike looked great to me! Nice work, aren't Olys fun?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed