United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 307/709
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15. Took a shower, put my best running shorts, my Donkey Jersey and my end of the road shoes (300+ miles). Looked in the mirror (man I need a hair cut). Ok time to go. loaded up the fuel belt (more on that later) grabbed 2 bagels and a banana (isn't that a song by Beck?) and headed over to the race. Picked up my packet and spotted Joe Runner on the way out and chatted briefly. Headed back to car to put my number on my belt and check out my fuel belt to make sure I had every thing (more on that later)
Event warmup:

I have been so stiff for the beginnnings of my runs, so I wanted to get some warm up. Ran about a 1/2 mile to work the kinks out.
Run
  • 1h 58m 37s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Looked around for Joe Runner, but lost her and couldn't find any of the other Donks. However as we gathered by the start, spotted her and then PhilE and Talltridad. There were rumors of a PeterAK sighting, but I could not confirm that. Joe Runner and I decided to run together. This was a good idea and made the time pass quickly. I had a goal of about 1:56 in mind and figured if I kept a 8:45-8:50 pace, that I would hit my goal. About mile 4 Joe Runner has to make a pit stop and told me to keep going. So I did.

I had my fuel belt on because I like to decide when I want to drink, eat etc. I had two bottles of Perpetuem, two bottles of water, a gel flask, 2 other gel packets, package of Enduralyltes and a plastic carrot. Yes siree bob, I was prepared. During longer training runs I take a gel every 30 minutes and that always works great. No need to change that plan. Nope...So during the race I decided to take a gel every 45 minutes. Took one at 45 min mark and next one... Well there wasn't a next one. At the 1:30 mark when I was supposed to take it (according to my 'new' plan) I decided I only had another 30 minutes so no sense on filling up on Gels. Also only took one of my Perp bottles and most of one of my water bottles. I mean you never know if you are going need it on the way home.

So I pretty much locked into my pace and zoned and then a voice called to me. Ok it was more like EEEEEEAAAAWWWWW. Joe Runner was there. She had caught me (napping that is) This was about mile 7. Soon we saw PeterAK ahead and worked to catch up to him and ran with him for a while (more good company) Everything was going according to plan until about mile 11. Then I heard this strange noise: The sound of my wheels coming off. Appently the fuel in a fuel belt is not as effective if it stays in the belt. I tried to stay with Joe Runner, but it was no use, she was getting stronger and I was doing the Lake Country Fade. I hung on for dear life and managed to PR this race by about a minute. I did not hit my goal. However I learned some good lessons.
What would you do differently?:

Two words: Nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank the rest of the water and Perp in my fuel belt. Talked to Joe Runner, Clint, PeterAK, Talltridad and PhilE. Also left a message for Firstnet911 when a woman came up to me asked me if I knew 'Craig.' She then came over to me with a cell phone and asked me if I wanted leave him a message. I sure hope she wasn't messing with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My dumb idea of changing up my nutrition plan, mid race combined with heat at the end of race.

Event comments:

Midwest did a nice job with this race and aid stations were well stocked (or so I was told) Like the new course and plan on doing it again next year. As always, even though results were not quite where I wanted them, had a great time hanging with my friends and running in the beautiful day.

Last updated: 2008-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:37 | 13.11 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/709
Performance: Good
Course: few rolling hills, but mostly flat around the lake and some nice homes.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Lake County Half Marathon

2008-09-02 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1643770

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake County Half Marathon
Awesome race Jim!! Great job!! Way to keep up with Joe Runner!!
2008-09-02 2:50 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice work Jim!  A PR is a PR is a PR in my book.  Congrats!
2008-09-02 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great RR and way to PR your course.  13.1 is 13.1 anyway you measure it.  You shoulda warned me about those wheels.  I coulda tried to help to fix them.  Looking forward to more "fun" runs with ya.  Colorama in October perhaps?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake County Half Marathon Rss Feed