General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silverman Half IM Advice needed... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-03 6:18 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: Silverman Half IM Advice needed...
I am seriously considering this race but I have a couple of questions. (My wife already gave me the OK it is just a matter of paying the entry fee).

Here are my questions:

-This is my first HIM. Is silverman a good idea for a first timer?
-Swim: I am not worried at all. Can this be done with out a wetsuit. I looked at some RR's and they said the water was 68 degrees. Is this about right in early novemeber?
-Bike: Is the course as tough as they say it is? I am a clysdale and hills are tough for me but I do OK
-Run: Is this as hilly and tough as the Bike?

Any other advice and answers to my qestions would be appreciated

2008-09-03 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1647506

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Silverman Half IM Advice needed...
You may want to post this over in the IM forum, you'll probably get a few responses.  Also, check for race reports from last year, I know there were a few BTers that did this last year. 
2008-09-03 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I'm doing it as my first HIM.....whether that's a good idea or not, ask me on Nov 10. 

I mapped out the bike course here (I got a little confused while I was doing it and the route turned out a little long, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly correct).  The BT tracker says 5173 feet of climbing. 

If I remember correctly, I think I read that the run has about 800 feet of climbing, but I could be wrong about that.  If that's true, it doesn't sound awful (by itself, anyway).

DO IT!!!

2008-09-04 1:20 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Yeah it's a good idea for a first one. That way it will be your slowest time and you'll be guaranteed to set a PR on your next race.

But seriously, the difficulty of this race will depend on your endurance in training. If you have put in at least the race distances in training, then this race will be tough but not impossible. You'll have a slow time, and you'll hurt, but you'll finish. If you don't get your endurance up there, then you'll have trouble. Like, don't make your longest ride 45 miles and your longest run 10 miles, or something.

Also you have to put in hills in both your bike and run training, whether you like it or not. There's still plenty of time between now and November to do that.

As for the swim, I heard that the water can be very choppy, so you should wear a wetsuit if you can.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silverman Half IM Advice needed... Rss Feed