Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-04 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1648019

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again

Yeah, ok Giuliani isn't an angel. Im sure that the NewYorkers here that are knocking him are saints themselves. But let's talk about some facts ok? They aren't too hard to find, but as someone who does not live in NYC and didn't experience the Pre to Post Giuliani years first-hand, I wanted to make sure the positive press that he had received throughout the country wasnt a figment of the press, which we all know likes to slant things in favor of Republicans in office. <---(sarcasm)

1. you think he hates homeless and welfare?  He does! but not the individuals, the state of those conditions.  When he took office in 1994 over a million NYC residents were on welfare.(one in seven) He initiated the country's largest "workfare" program and during eight years in office---> 691,000 people came off welfare. Hmmmm

2. True,  that most of the credit for the drop in crime rates goes primarily to the men and women wearing the NYPD uniforms and walking the streets , but without the support and direction at the top the best cops in the world wouldnt have taken NYC from "a case study in urban decay" who many had thought was beyond repair to "America's safest large city"  HHe adopted the broken windows program which targeted resources to the highest need areas.  He aggressively moved to eradicate organized crime resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars moving from racketeers back to the legitimate sector.  He led the move to reduce police violence.

3. He CUT TAXES and still turned a $2.3 BILLION deficit into a multi-BILLION dollar surplus.  Property values rose and entire neighboorhoods were redeveloped. 

as a NewYorker, how can you not respect this guy unless you are allowing you political bias, or worse, blatant hatred of the Republican party to totally screw with your perspective.  C'mon! I'll give you that he wasnt a total boyscout here, but deep down, I dont think you even want to imagine what NYC would be like in 2008 without the eight years you guys had Guiliani in the Mayor's chair.

And really, dont even try to criticize his actions on 9/11.  America knows the truth about what he did that day and days following, so you just sound petty trying to knock him for something as innocent as trying to offer reassurance to a city that desperately needed just that.

Edited by MikeJ 2008-09-04 4:18 PM

2008-09-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1648165

User image

Expert
Portland
Det - 2008-09-03 11:40 PM
MikeJ - 2008-09-03 8:24 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-03 10:43 PM
TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?" Last time I checked Bin Ladin (and for that matter WMD) were not in Iraq!
I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details. And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war. (ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that? And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

Dude, talking like that around here will get you labeled as a club toting Cro-Magnon...... 

BTW..for the record...I did get the sarcasm there.  It took me a few moments and reading it a few times, but I eventually got it. 

2008-09-04 4:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

"Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again"

Isn't that a disease?

2008-09-04 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My dislike of Giuliani has nothing (ok...it has very little) to do with his political afilliation. I voted for Bloomberg, a Repulican, and would do so again. Party means far less to me on a local level than it does on a national level. And again, I think you're giving Rudy sole credit for a number of things that aren't entirely his doing. He had the good fortune of being mayor during a period of great prosperity. That had a lot to do with both the reduction in crime and the budgetary surplus. There are a lot of people (I'm not one of them) who give him zero credit for the reduction in crime, saying that statistically, NYC's crime statistics had been dropping for a few years, and that it was really just a part of a nationwide trend, coupled with the fact that the economic boom changed the demographics of the city (i.e. gentrification of some previously high-crime areas) and so the crime simply because more concentrated in lower-income areas where it tends to be underreported.

Look, you can buy into the whole "Giuliani Saved America" myth if you want, but there's more than enough evidence to show Rudy for who he is.

I don't want to sound like I'm one of those NY-ers who says, "You weren't here on 9/11, so you aren't entitled to an opinion about it", but this city is more than just 9/11. NYers were here before 9/11 and we've been here since, and, as awful as that day was, for most of us, our experience as NY-ers does not begin and end on that day as Giuliani and some at the RNC would have you believe. We haven't abandoned the values we held prior to that day, and I think I speak for many other NY-ers when I say that it's frustrating to see that so many others in the country seem to have done so. It's frustrating to see so many people in the US giving in to the kind of fear mongering that we see from some on the right, when most NY-ers have gone back to our lives much as they were before the tragedy. Most NYers are far more worried about how the economy and energy prices will affect their lives than they are about the next terrorist attack.
2008-09-04 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

I think you are kind of slanting some facts to minimize his impact, but the fact remains that you dont like the guy and there's nothing I can obvioulsy say to change that and thats fine. 

BTW, I hate the Yankees and the Jets, so we could probably go round and round debating that one too sometime, but one thing I think we can both agree on is that NYC is a great american city and you are lucky to live there.

2008-09-04 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1651160

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
MikeJ - 2008-09-04 7:42 PM

BTW, I hate the Yankees and the Jets, so we could probably go round and round debating that one too sometime, but one thing I think we can both agree on is that NYC is a great american city and you are lucky to live there.

Actually, you and I are on the same side on all three of those points.

2008-09-04 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1648144

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
MikeJ - 2008-09-03 11:24 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-03 10:43 PM
TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?" Last time I checked Bin Ladin (and for that matter WMD) were not in Iraq!
I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details. And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war. (ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that?  And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

That "scumbag" probably handled 9/11 as good as anyone else would have..... hard to argue that he didn't improve NY too.
2008-09-04 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1650487

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
MikeJ - 2008-09-04 5:11 PM

Yeah, ok Giuliani isn't an angel. Im sure that the NewYorkers here that are knocking him are saints themselves. But let's talk about some facts ok? They aren't too hard to find, but as someone who does not live in NYC and didn't experience the Pre to Post Giuliani years first-hand, I wanted to make sure the positive press that he had received throughout the country wasnt a figment of the press, which we all know likes to slant things in favor of Republicans in office. <---(sarcasm)

1. you think he hates homeless and welfare?  He does! but not the individuals, the state of those conditions.  When he took office in 1994 over a million NYC residents were on welfare.(one in seven) He initiated the country's largest "workfare" program and during eight years in office---> 691,000 people came off welfare. Hmmmm

2. True,  that most of the credit for the drop in crime rates goes primarily to the men and women wearing the NYPD uniforms and walking the streets , but without the support and direction at the top the best cops in the world wouldnt have taken NYC from "a case study in urban decay" who many had thought was beyond repair to "America's safest large city"  HHe adopted the broken windows program which targeted resources to the highest need areas.  He aggressively moved to eradicate organized crime resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars moving from racketeers back to the legitimate sector.  He led the move to reduce police violence.

3. He CUT TAXES and still turned a $2.3 BILLION deficit into a multi-BILLION dollar surplus.  Property values rose and entire neighboorhoods were redeveloped. 

as a NewYorker, how can you not respect this guy unless you are allowing you political bias, or worse, blatant hatred of the Republican party to totally screw with your perspective.  C'mon! I'll give you that he wasnt a total boyscout here, but deep down, I dont think you even want to imagine what NYC would be like in 2008 without the eight years you guys had Guiliani in the Mayor's chair.

And really, dont even try to criticize his actions on 9/11.  America knows the truth about what he did that day and days following, so you just sound petty trying to knock him for something as innocent as trying to offer reassurance to a city that desperately needed just that.

There you go, stating facts and ending a perfectly good argument.... bravo.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again Rss Feed  

of 2