Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-03 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
Subject: Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again
This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?"

Last time I checked Bin Ladin (and for that matter WMD) were not in Iraq!

2008-09-03 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1648019

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again
TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM

This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?"

I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details.

And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war.

(ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2008-09-03 9:49 PM
2008-09-03 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1648053

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-03 9:43 PM
TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?" Last time I checked Bin Ladin (and for that matter WMD) were not in Iraq!
I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details. And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war.

While Hillary may have used it, it is a VERY VERY common line in military speak-- "hope is not a course of action" or "hope is not a strategy" and "plans never survive first contact with the enemy" are lines that, if someone in the military got a dollar for everytime they heard it, they'd all retire rich.  (could someone start handing me those dollars please??)

2008-09-03 10:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
earth
What? Did you think the backdrop picture of NYC w/out the Twin Towers was too much.
2008-09-03 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
I disagree he had the best quote of the night. "The democrats didn't once bring up 9/11"
2008-09-03 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1648134

Extreme Veteran
earth

JoshR - 2008-09-03 10:15 PM I disagree he had the best quote of the night. "The democrats didn't once bring up 9/11"

Actually,  they did.

2008-09-03 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1648138

User image

Elite
Boise
22legs - 2008-09-03 10:17 PM

JoshR - 2008-09-03 10:15 PM I disagree he had the best quote of the night. "The democrats didn't once bring up 9/11"

Actually,  they did.

Hmm maybe he said they didn't bring it up enough

2008-09-03 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-03 10:43 PM
TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM This guy can't go two sentences without bring up 9/11. My favorite statement so far: " The democrats did not support the troop surge in Iraq, that the war was lost. Well who won then? Bin Ladin?" Last time I checked Bin Ladin (and for that matter WMD) were not in Iraq!
I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details. And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war. (ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that?  And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

2008-09-03 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1648144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
MikeJ - 2008-09-03 8:24 PM

I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details. And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war. (ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that? And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

Dude, talking like that around here will get you labeled as a club toting Cro-Magnon...... 

2008-09-03 10:54 PM
in reply to: #1648165

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Det - 2008-09-03 7:40 PM

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that? And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

Dude, talking like that around here will get you labeled as a club toting Cro-Magnon...... 

Dumba** statement of the day...unless you forgot the red font.  If you didn't then I stand by my statement.

Edited by Flyboy 2008-09-03 10:56 PM
2008-09-04 1:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-04 10:43 AM

(ETA...sorry...Giuliani just makes me nuts because he's such a scumbag) And another thing, if "Candidates' kids are off limits", as seems to have been the generally agreed-upon rule of the campaign, then Giuliani shouldn't be allowed to bring up Palin's special-needs child either.

Purely out of interest I'm just curious as to why Giuliani is a scumbag? 

as an aussie I obviously have no inside info just what we are fed by the media.   what's he done to make him a scumbag??

2008-09-04 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

From a moral standpoint Rudy is a scumbag.  But I pretty much feel that way about anyone who has had an affair or cheats while married.

As to his speech.  As a Republican, I like that he hammered Obama and Biden (mostly Obama).  It was funny and had enough of a hint of truth to it that I liked it.  You have to recognize that all these people Dems and Reps, all take soundbites from other candidates and manipulate them to make their points.  If you expect anythng else then you are either: 1.  Slow  2.  Blind  3. On the other side 4.  Perfect in every way.

I really liked it when he made the point that as President you can't just vote "Present".

2008-09-04 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1648188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Flyboy - 2008-09-03 8:54 PM

Dumba** statement of the day...unless you forgot the red font. If you didn't then I stand by my statement.

What? What statement??? That was sarcasm man c'mon. I don't use red font because it's retarded to do so. So don't be such a ........... a............ meenie.

2008-09-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1648492

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Det - 2008-09-04 4:32 AM
Flyboy - 2008-09-03 8:54 PM

Dumba** statement of the day...unless you forgot the red font. If you didn't then I stand by my statement.

What? What statement??? That was sarcasm man c'mon. I don't use red font because it's retarded to do so. So don't be such a ........... a............ meenie.

Duly noted. 

2008-09-04 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-03 9:43 PM

TexTriGuy - 2008-09-03 9:27 PM

I also thought it was entertaining that he critcized Obama for not supporting the troop surge while McCain did, while ignoring the fact that Obama voted against the war in the first place while McCain didn't. Details, details.

And he threw out the line "Hope is not a strategy", which was Hillary's line to Gen. Abizaid during the Senate hearings on the Iraq war.

Speaking of details...how did Obama vote against the Iraq war when he wasn't in the Senate yet?

The following U.S. Senators voted against war in Iraq:
* Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii)
* Jeff Bingaman (D-New Mexico)
* Barbara Boxer (D-California)
* Robert Byrd (D-West Virginia)
* Lincoln Chaffee (R-Rhode Island)
* Kent Conrad (D-North Dakota)
* Jon Corzine (D-New Jersey)
* Mark Dayton (D-Minnesota)
* Durbin (D-Illinois)
* Russ Feingold (D-Wisconsin)
* Bob Graham (D-Florida)
* Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii)
* Jim Jeffords (I-Vermont)
* Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts)
* Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont)
* Carl Levin (D-Michigan)
* Barbara Mikulski (D-Maryland)
* Patty Murray (D-Washington)
* Jack Reed (D-Rhode Island)
* Paul Sarbanes (D-Maryland)
* Debbie Stabenow (D-Michigan)
* The late Paul Wellstone (D-Minnesota)
* Ron Wyden (D-Oregon)

p.s. Anyone see Biden's name?
2008-09-04 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Because the guy is petty and mean-spirited, a shameless self-promoter who gleefully cashes in on the work and sacrifice of others, who doesn’t hesitate to shove people aside once they’ve outlived their usefulness to him. There’s this myth that he’s beloved in NYC, and in fact, the opposite is true.

Some examples (a couple are from memory, but I did some checking just to make sure I had my facts straight (since apparently I erred in my earlier post.):

In 1998 or 99, the city council overrode Giuliani over how shelters for the homeless were run. As “punishment” for crossing him, Giuliani evicted five community service centers who provided services to kids, the elderly, and the mentally ill, and threatened to turn them into homeless shelters. He admitted publicly that he chose one of the sites because it was in the district of one of the representatives who led the opposition to his plan. Eventually, he backed down under heavy criticism, in particular for his eviction of a community center that served hundreds of mentally ill NY-ers.

How much the reduction in crime in NYC was due to policies under Giuliani, and how much was due to outside factors is debatable, but, in any case, it’s pretty much universally acknowledged that the man who deserves most of the credit is Giuliani’s PD commissioner Bratton. And when Bratton, not Giuliani appeared on the cover of Time Magazine, how did Giuliani reward his appointee? He fired him for stealing his limelight. In one case, after an unarmed man was killed by an undercover NYPD officer, Giuliani released details of the mans criminal record to the press.

When a Mexican-american and gay school chancellor resigned (one of three chancellors to resign under Rudy), Rudy’s reaction was to say he “shouldn’t be so precious”. In another case, Rudy leaked a letter critical of Chancellor Rudy Crew to the local media on the day that Crew was attending his wife’s funeral.

After 9/11, he downplayed the health risks to first-responders, in spite of evidence that the smoke and fumes at the sight was potentially lethal. As a result, many of those who worked on the pile did so without proper protective gear, resulting in many long-term health problems and untimely deaths.

It’s one thing to have an affair with one of your employees, it’s another to stand idly by while your attack-dog lawyer trashes your wife and the mother of your kids to the press. He’s estranged from both of his kids, and his daughter uses her mother’s maiden name rather than his.

Firefighters hate him. 9/11 victims’ families hate him. Lots of people who were part of his administration hate him. His own kids hate him. He couldn’t run for garbageman in NYC and expect to win. There were a lot of heroes on 9/11, and Rudy certainly deserves credit for his actions on that day and those that followed. But, IMO, and that of a lot of other NYers, it doesn’t erase the other sleazy, meanspirited, and occasionally disgraceful things that he did while mayor.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2008-09-04 8:56 AM

2008-09-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1648144

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY
MikeJ - 2008-09-03 11:24 PM

And Giuliani is a scumbag why? Because of the work he did as DA or as Mayor? From what I understand, he made NYC a much better place to live, work, and visit, so as a NewYorker, what exactly do you have against that?  And the fact that he was pretty much "Johnny on the spot" on 9/11 pretty much gives him a lifetime pass to bring that up. You probably hate it when WWII vets talk about stopping the Nazis too, huh?

Well, I'm another NYer, life-long, and I'm no Rudy fan either.  In fact, my experience is that the majority of NYers have negative feelings about him.  Why does the fact that he was the Mayor during 9/11 give him a "life time pass" and make him some kind of terrorism expert?  Your comment about WW2 vets is pretty silly IMO.  You're not truly comparing Guliani to WW2 vets, are you?

ETA: JMK outlines specifics in his last response much better then I could have.  :-)

Edited by Fatdoggy 2008-09-04 9:02 AM
2008-09-04 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
x2, Obama didn't vote against the war. The only time he was opposed to the war was when he wasn't in the senate, and his opinion didn't matter. When he got in the senate, his voting record is on par with Hillary. Nice try though.
2008-09-04 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1648702

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
bradword - 2008-09-04 8:57 AM

x2, Obama didn't vote against the war. The only time he was opposed to the war was when he wasn't in the senate, and his opinion didn't matter. When he got in the senate, his voting record is on par with Hillary. Nice try though.

Noted. My mistake. Giuliani's still a scumbag, though.
2008-09-04 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I have to say it's interesting to me to see all the vitriol being spewed out toward Giuliani, particularly with regard to 9/11. Has the anti-war crowd really become so cynical and revisionist in it's thinking that they can't even look at a person or image associated with 9/11 without having some knee-jerk negative reaction?

Let's take a quick walk down memory lane. After the tragic events of 9/11, Giuliani acted as a true leader-- and I don't think it's an overstatement to say "HERO"-- instantly coordinating rescue efforts and bringing calm to New York and America at a time when his personal safety was very much in question.

So please excuse him for mentioning one of the most infamous days in American history-- you know, the day that has basically shaped the American political and economic landscape EVERY day since. Please excuse him for so "arrogantly" posing in front of a picture of the skyline of the city he dutifully served as mayor of for so many years, turning it around from its perception as a crime-ridden cesspool to a city that people actually want to live in and visit again.

As for his little jokes and jabs last night which seem to have gotten some folks so riled up, THAT WAS HIS JOB-- to rally his own party. It was no different than what we saw last week during the DNC. And judging from today's comments, he seems to have done his job well.

2008-09-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1648748

User image

Giver

scoobysdad - 2008-09-04 10:11 AM I have to say it's interesting to me to see all the vitriol being spewed out toward Giuliani, particularly with regard to 9/11.

I think it's more aboue the running joke that every Giulliani sentence contains three elements: noun, verb and 9/11.

That and, barring 9/11, he's pretty much universally despised by his constituents.

2008-09-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1648775

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
run4yrlif - 2008-09-04 9:16 AM

scoobysdad - 2008-09-04 10:11 AM I have to say it's interesting to me to see all the vitriol being spewed out toward Giuliani, particularly with regard to 9/11.

I think it's more aboue the running joke that every Giulliani sentence contains three elements: noun, verb and 9/11.

That and, barring 9/11, he's pretty much universally despised by his constituents.

There are even aspects of 9/11 for which he's been criticised. I mentioned the toxic dust at ground zero, which he sort of dismissed as being alarmist, in spite of evidence to the contrary. There are a lot of people in the firefighters union who blame him for for the fact that they weren't able to supply the NY firefighters with radios that functioned inside the towers.

The fact that he's so despised by the FDNY and most of his constituency should tell you a lot. Bottom line is that the rest of America only got to see Rudy on his best day. There were a lot of heros on 9/11 and a lot of people who deserve credit for shaping NYC into the place it is today. And the reason you've never heard of most of them is that Rudy jealously guards the spotlight and pushes out anyone who gets too close to his halo.
2008-09-04 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1649014

User image

Master
jmk-brooklyn - 2008-09-04 11:17 AM

There are even aspects of 9/11 for which he's been criticised. I mentioned the toxic dust at ground zero, which he sort of dismissed as being alarmist, in spite of evidence to the contrary. There are a lot of people in the firefighters union who blame him for for the fact that they weren't able to supply the NY firefighters with radios that functioned inside the towers.

The fact that he's so despised by the FDNY and most of his constituency should tell you a lot. Bottom line is that the rest of America only got to see Rudy on his best day. There were a lot of heros on 9/11 and a lot of people who deserve credit for shaping NYC into the place it is today. And the reason you've never heard of most of them is that Rudy jealously guards the spotlight and pushes out anyone who gets too close to his halo.

it was also giuliani's idea to put the city's EOC in the one place in the city that had been the target of a terrorist attack in the last decade, and one place that was on every list of potential targets for future attacks. so there's a reason he was out on the streets in front of the cameras. the EOC was destroyed.
2008-09-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1648748

User image

Elite
Boise

scoobysdad - 2008-09-04 9:11 AM I have to say it's interesting to me to see all the vitriol being spewed out toward Giuliani, particularly with regard to 9/11. Has the anti-war crowd really become so cynical and revisionist in it's thinking that they can't even look at a person or image associated with 9/11 without having some knee-jerk negative reaction? Let's take a quick walk down memory lane. After the tragic events of 9/11, Giuliani acted as a true leader-- and I don't think it's an overstatement to say "HERO"-- instantly coordinating rescue efforts and bringing calm to New York and America at a time when his personal safety was very much in question. So please excuse him for mentioning one of the most infamous days in American history-- you know, the day that has basically shaped the American political and economic landscape EVERY day since. Please excuse him for so "arrogantly" posing in front of a picture of the skyline of the city he dutifully served as mayor of for so many years, turning it around from its perception as a crime-ridden cesspool to a city that people actually want to live in and visit again. As for his little jokes and jabs last night which seem to have gotten some folks so riled up, THAT WAS HIS JOB-- to rally his own party. It was no different than what we saw last week during the DNC. And judging from today's comments, he seems to have done his job well.

I think the reason it is viewed negatively is that many people think that 9/11 was used to justify quite a lot of things that should never have happened. It also goes back to the previous election where 9/11 was associated with the "politics of fear".

2008-09-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1648775

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Last night he mentioned 9/11 once and it was in reference to the Democrats pretty much ignoring its existance in their convention last week.  One time in his speech which is probably less than 1% of the time he was up there.

Shhheeesh you lefties have your undies in a bundle.  Good times!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giuliani's foot enters mouth once again Rss Feed  

of 2