Sommer Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 33s
Overall Rank = 11/118
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Drove up Saturday and found a hotel, had the whole family so we went to the outlet malls, was in bed by 9:30, nice to see they were on central time woke up at 5 am drank a couple ensures has half a cliff bar.
Event warmup:

not much swam about 100 yards in the surf, late start so did a lot of standing around.
Swim
  • 27m 58s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

By far the hardest swim I have every done. waves at times were at least 6ft, I could not see the buoys, had to wait until on top of a wave to sight at times, form was out the window just tried to survive. Drank more water on this swim than all of my tri's combine, finally head back toward shore and the breakers were behind us, got in the shallows stood up and saw 27 minutes on my watch and could not believe it, I just swam this Friday in the pool in under 17 minutes, I knew it was bad but I was thinking 23-24 minutes. Just glad it was over.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, I'm just not use to that type of swim, I would have to practice in it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, long run, got helmet on and glasses on quickly. Took a little too much time removing sand from my feet and putting on socks, I should have been about 30 seconds quicker.

had a bottle by t1 to get the sand off, I just was too slow, and it cost me as I lost 2nd place in my AG by :05
Bike
  • 52m 30s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 21.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Just terrible roads, Potholes, bumps, seams, sand you name it, the bumps and patches on the roads were so bad, that I could not stay in my aero bars for more than about a half mile, if fact I got not completely off the aero bars twice and decide to ride not using them for the first 10 miles of so, I even hit a bump that literally got me airborne. There was a sharp turn at the bottom of a hill and sand on the road, blind climbs with sharp turns once at the top. In addition to this there were 14 railroad crossing, in which some participants got stopped by the train and they had people there taking numbers and subtracting the time they spent waiting. I could have used this, I can’t imagine getting a break to get my HR back down eat something and it not costing me anytime. Anyway, I had a good bike split despite the course I was surprise I was going that fast. I was never so happy to get off the bike in one piece and everything still on my bike and no flat.

nothing I road the course best I could, no doubt I could have went faster, but I just didn't feel safe at times going any faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

good transition, shoes on quickly, number belt I was on the last rack farthest from the exit.

nothing I just had a long run to the exit, this would have only been 30 seconds if I was closer
Run
  • 34m 43s
  • 4.8 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was very nice, smooth roads, flat, shaded, nice area to look at, really enjoyed the run. Stayed strong the whole way passed several people pass a guy in my age group, then at the turn around passed another guy in my age group, then the first guy passed my back at the 3 mile mark and I just could not keep up. I was running 6:50 pace when he passed and got within 5 seconds but that was it.

nothing, I was happy with the run
Post race
Warm down:

ran a mile and got a message man that felt great

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the swim conditions and road conditions on the bike

Event comments:

I thought the race site was very nice, it was well organized and they did a great job putting on the event. The most stuff I have every received in a goodies bag, 2-shirts, towel, license plate frame, water bottle, cell phone holder, they had grilled hot dogs, fruit, cookies, donut holes, free messages. The bike course is just terrible that is my only complaint that would have to change before I do it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:58 | 1094 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 39/118
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU elite
Course: rectangle along the shore
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:30 | 18.64 miles | 21.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 10/118
Performance: Good
1st 5 miles 19.1 ave. into the wind 2nd 5 miles 21.0 3rd 5 miles 20.6 last 3.6 22.0 HR ave 144 max 149
Wind: Headwind
Course: along the lake and surrounding area, even got to go by the state pen and a little park
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:43 | 04.8 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 12/118
Performance: Good
1st 7:10 2nd 7:18 3rd 7:20 4th 7:20 last .8 6:49 pace HR ave. 149 Max 154
Course: out and back along the lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: TriAmerica Sprint

2008-09-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1657650

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: TriAmerica Sprint

Hey.  Nice race.  Couldn't agree more about the roads.  Talk about tough.  I have a feeling I know when you passed me.  I believe it was right at the end, on the bike, just after we passed by the prison for the second time.

I agree, it was a well organized race, though.  Especially for their first time.  Maybe they can work out the kinks for next year.

2008-09-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1657650

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: TriAmerica Sprint
Nice race!  I was pretty sure I was going to be swimming with the wave behind me by the time I was on my way out of the water.  That was, without a doubt, the hardest swim I've ever had.  And yeah, that bike course was terrible.  And how good were those post-race massages?  Fantastic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica Sprint Rss Feed