General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-11 12:08 PM

Chicagoland Area
Subject: I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while

So for me, the training season is over for a bit.  I am spicing life up a bit by joining a few spin classes, doing some pilates and such.  But, I have to mention, I am concerned about how burnt out I feel after this season....any thoughts?   

By the way, you can read the funny accounts of my last tri at my blog...http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/slow--tri-girl-finishes-triathlon-at-a-snails-pace/

2008-09-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1667542

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while

I think it's pretty normal for training focus to ebb and flow.  Sounds like you're doing a smart thing by taking a break and mixing things up for a while.

I wouldn't be too concerned.  Just set out your goals for next season and then set your training plan accordingly.  Over the fall/winter try to keep your base fitness, spinning, weights, watching the cubs in the world series.  By the time the late winter rolls around and it's time to start your base building for the 2009 season you'll probably be itching to get back at it.

2008-09-13 5:20 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while

Taking a break is HUGE!! When training is not fun, you will not do it, and that is conterproductive in the world of those of us trying to maintain or loose weight.  Do what is fun. When the mood hits, you will be ready to come back as long as you stay active for a bit. I have a friend who has gone from "training" to just "working out". The difference is training is more structured and has an end plan. Working out is just a matter of being active, no matter how.

BTW, Lance Armstrong is making a comeback. Now talking about taking a break from the game

BTW, go Cubbies!!

2008-09-13 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

After my first tri I had major burnout. THREW ME FOR A LOOP.

I ate what I wanted, did what I wanted when i wanted. But I didn't understand until that faded and I felt like I could train again. It took me about 2 maybe 2.5 weeks to feel like I needed to get back on schedule  and COULD get back to training.

But now nothing is forced. My workouts have been good and consistent and I don't feel stressed about it. Life is good.

2008-09-14 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Lots of us who train for a specific race for months or even a year when you finish a race there is often a post race blues. Your body and mind were focused on a specific event for a long while and it needs a break.

I typically take two breaks a year. First is normally in June after my spring A race. I normally take 1 week off of running and do some light riding and swimming. Second week will be a bit more training but lighter than a rest week.

Second is after the season is over. I'll take 1-3 weeks off with 1 week off then doing what ever I want. 

Taking the breaks is huge to recharging my mind and allowing my body to recover. 

When I first started taking June breaks I didn't want to.  The following year I was looking forward to my break and asked my coach to be sure I got it.

My A race was 7 weeks ago and I finally am feeling back to normal, have set some new goals and am fired up. I was a little surprised how long the post race slump lasted but I guess that is because it was a long race..my first IM.

2008-09-14 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
josterme - 2008-09-11 12:08 PM

So for me, the training season is over for a bit.  I am spicing life up a bit by joining a few spin classes, doing some pilates and such.  But, I have to mention, I am concerned about how burnt out I feel after this season....any thoughts?   

By the way, you can read the funny accounts of my last tri at my blog...http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/slow--tri-girl-finishes-triathlon-at-a-snails-pace/

omig, I just read your blog!  That is hilarious!  All joking aside, great job at Accenture.

2008-09-17 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)
I just got over a slow down in momentum. I hadhit a wall and wasn't losing weight or getting faster. Then I made a break through in the swim and everything kicked back up. For me though the season just started. In Arizona it is kinda like Aussie. we do things in winter months when everyone else is inside and we are inside during summer.

Stick to it though and you will get past the wall. I find it good to watch the inspirational videos on YouTube.
2008-09-19 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Join a challenge on the Challenge Me board! I plan to start the challenges again in October. They helped me through June/July when I didn't have a race. A new one usually starts at the beginning of the month, but you can make up your own challenge and invite others to join any time you want to.

Challenge Me Board

Have fun!
2008-09-19 11:11 PM

chicago
season ended and i got into a run program and sand volleyball! like its been said just do something diffrent, im personally feeling some bike burn out so i havnt touched mine for a ride besides a few commutes since my last tri. it happens stay active and your be itching to get into gear again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so flipping sick of training...I think I'll just spin for a while Rss Feed