General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Malibu, California
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions (MESP)
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 5s
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group = Clydesdale 225+
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

I live in the neighborhood, but planned to preach after the event. I drove to my church at 6 am and then rode my bike to transition setup. I was the second to last to arrive at my rack. A shout out to Josh who was so very kind to the new guy. Got my little area set up (no bucket) and went to the prerace meeting. As I was in wave start 12, I put my suit on after the meeting and then went down to watch some of the heat starts. The waves were relatively calm, with the exception of the Female 30-35 start which got crushed by the biggest wave of the morning, earning the applause of the fans and athletes!
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a great swim, although I likely swam slightly above my comfort zone. My HR monitor gauged that I hit 100% capacity at one point. At the start - I got a little caught up in the chaos and took one solid kick to the jaw :)
Felt like I was pushing it a bit at the half way point and slowed to focus on form and breathing. Swimming in those waters regularly helped with my sense of spotting and the lack of visibility.
What would you do differently?:

Start more aggressively actually. I waited for a lot of the clydes to wade in ahead of me and then got clobbered passing people.
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

The timing pad for the swim seemed a long way from the transition area. That coupled with a long run through the corrals of 3000 bikes made for quite a time. Getting out of my suit and into my socks and bike shoes went fairly quickly and smoothly. Left ahead of the competitors I came in with.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 58s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went alright. There was one section of rolling hills where I felt like I was pushing too hard, but I came away from it fine. I believe that I benefited from training on the course regularly as there were a number of people that I passed through the rolling sections of our hills. I had cheerleaders out and back at about 1/3 through :)

Balance my cycling training. A calf strain kept me off the bike some and then I had technical problems this week and the bike was getting repaired Tues-Sat.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Seemed to go fairly smoothly. I took my shoes off at the dismount line and ran in my socks and that seemed to help. Although a lot of the relays had finished at this point and I was running through the people (ChrisM I am looking at you! ;P )
Run
  • 49m 44s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired, and just plodded along. Not yet a strong runner, not near enough base miles. But I endured and actually finished well ahead of my anticipated time (my wife almost missed my finish). I was quite pleased by the Clydesdale love from fellow racers. Nice to know they appreciated the wattage output from me. :)

Higher run base (and I had little miles in the last two weeks due to injury)
Post race
Warm down:

Total chaos: So just after giving me a hug, my 2 year old disappeared between all of the adult legs. He was missing for a couple of minutes and we were all in a panic. We even had Frank from the stage (and at one point Michael Epstein) announce "Jackson to the stage." A race official brought him to us. Turns out he had made his way up the finish chute and was running around by the FINISH LINE!!!!
Then, as we were leaving, my wife realized that, having valued my son more than her bag, had dropped the Nautica athletes bag that was doubling as her purse on the sand and someone had picked it up. Bleh...

So, I rode up to church and delivered my sermon. My church was very gracious and fun. They sang the spiritual "Guide my feet while I run this race" as I came in :) After snacks after worship, Camille and I went back down to the beach and up to the main stage, where THEY HAD HER BAG, keys and wallet still intact. God bless the good and kind tri community!!!!

Got an ice bath in after and a little bit of stretching, plus a solid nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Prerace injury, but I had the distance in me :D

Last updated: 2008-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 880 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 0/0
Performance: Good
Max HR 189 Avg HR 165
Suit: Quintana Roo Hydrofull
Course: 150 Yard out, 580 East to West, 150 yard in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:03:58 | 18 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Performance: Average
Max HR 180 Avg HR 163
Wind: None
Course: Was great - they even built a wood bridge over the flooded underpass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:44 | 04 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Performance: Below average
Max HR 178 Avg HR 168
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-14 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon

2008-09-14 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1673838

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon

Congrats!  Nicely done! 

-Brian 

2008-09-14 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
congrats!! great race!! and good news about finding your son so fast and your wife's bag,too! my husband left his sneakers in a parking lot. hope the race director got them...
2008-09-14 11:13 PM

User image

Regular
Sherman Oaks
Congratulations on your first triathlon and a great finish!  It sounds like for the most part, all of your training at Zuma really helped prepare you for the conditions, despite your injury! 
2008-09-14 11:30 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Congrats, triathlete! Liz saw you on the run course and said I must have passed you running on the road, but I guess I missed you. Good job...great job on the swim, especially!
2008-09-15 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1673901

User image

Expert
Simi Valley

tcovert - 2008-09-14 9:30 PM Congrats, triathlete! Liz saw you on the run course and said I must have passed you running on the road, but I guess I missed you. Good job...great job on the swim, especially!

I actually hollared at you when you passed me coming up out of Trancas and then I could not tell if it was you or another Disneyrider coming back down but I must have been you that I passed when you were truing your wheel (? or were you tending a flat?).  But looking at your run split you probably would have blown by me out on Westward   Great run split!

2008-09-15 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Nice job, dude!  GO NADS!
2008-09-15 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Great Job out there , my apologies if i  kicked you in the water as i was also in wave 12  ;oP . 

Beautiful course and  overall wonderful folks to help out with your missing child and purse .  

2008-09-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1674090

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Revbigdog - 2008-09-15 5:39 AM

tcovert - 2008-09-14 9:30 PM Congrats, triathlete! Liz saw you on the run course and said I must have passed you running on the road, but I guess I missed you. Good job...great job on the swim, especially!

I actually hollared at you when you passed me coming up out of Trancas and then I could not tell if it was you or another Disneyrider coming back down but I must have been you that I passed when you were truing your wheel (? or were you tending a flat?).  But looking at your run split you probably would have blown by me out on Westward   Great run split!

Heard somebody yell my name, but when I glanced back, couldn't see who it was (I suspected it was you, though.) Race report will be up later, but the short answer is: Broken spoke somewhere in the first 5 miles...had to limp back in at <15 mph for the last four miles. Apparently I did pass you on the run on Westward...saw your cheering section, anyhow.
2008-09-15 12:39 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Great job on your first tri!!! Yea NADS!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon Rss Feed