General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2008 Toyota Challenge (Formerly Pineman) - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 6h 31m 8s
Overall Rank = 87/183
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Pretty much the same as always. Drove over to the race site in the RV, got bodymarked and put my bike in the transition area. Then I went back to the RV, ate a bowl or cereal and bagel with cream cheese and drank my coffee and water. Then back over to transition to get the rest of my stuff ready. I was racing with My wife, Alice and my training partner and friend, Jeremy. Jeremy and I have raced 8 tri's and several running races together, I've never beat him.

I had a slight cold in the days before the race. It had not gone away by race morning.
Event warmup:

Swam a little in the lake. That's it.
Swim
  • 41m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I raced in the Clydesdale division for the first time ever, so I had no one I knew in my start group. My wife, Alice raced the oly distance and my racing buddy Jeremy raced in the AG division so they had gone out in waves before me. When I hit the water I sprinted out the first 300 yards to the first turn buoy. Then I settled in and just cruised. It was an uneventful swim. The chop was higher than I’ve ever swam in but that was actually kind of fun. On the second loop one of the turn buoys had come loose and drifted…somewhere. At first I thought that I had missed a buoy but I came out of the water and looked for it, didn’t see it and decided to go on. I exited the water and saw Jeremy’s son, Joseph. He told me that his dad had not come out of the water yet. Cool, he went in before me and I’m out of the water before him, a good sign for me.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I'm estimating the times for transitions, bike and run from here on out. Though the timing company got my swim time and overall time only the time for the swim was recorded. I think the times are accurate to the minute only.
It was a good T1. I was excited to try out my new Cervelo P2C that my wife bought for me a few weeks ago. On my way out of transition I saw Jeremy come in, so I knew he was not that far behind me.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 15m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't want to go out too hard on the bike. I was hoping for a 3:12 split. I had planed to give myself a bit of business to do on each lap. Lap one was to get my bike gloves on, get my HR down, eat a GU and drink 2 bottles of fluids. Check. I completed lap one in almost exactly one hour. During lap 2 I wanted to eat my Cliff bar, take two Aleve, and again drink 2 bottles of fluid. Check. Lap 2 took me 1:05. My lap three business consisted of 2 GU’s, 2 bottles of fluid and more sunscreen. Check. My tummy was beginning to bother me so I took two tums that I had packed in my binto box. Lap three was the hardest. The wind had really picked up on this lap and going into the headwind I was only able to hit about a 12mph average. Thankfully the headwind only lasted 2.5 miles or so at the beginning and then another mile at the end. It was brutal. There was only about 2 miles where there was not some kind of strong wind or hills and this section was over too quickly. Loop three took me about 1:11. I passed Jeremy on each loop at a 180 degree turnaround. Each time he seemed farther behind me. I learned after the race he had a flat on the first loop and spent 9 minutes fixing it.

I LOVE my new Cervelo P2C. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU to my wonderful wife of 10 years who bought it for me for our 10 year anniversry (I got her a new race belt, seems even :)).

I dunno, pick a race that was not so windy?
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Again this time is estimated. Contrary to my last HIM 3 weeks ago I felt really good coming off the bike. Joseph and Alice (who had finished her oly by this time) were there to cheer me on. I jogged into transition and racked up. Alice said at the last loop Jeremy was 11 minutes behind me. I got my shoes and hat on, sprayed some more sunscreen on, met Alice at the transition exit and gave her a big kiss. Then, off to run.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 30m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was the most difficult part of the day for me. I jogged the first 8 minutes and walked for about 90 seconds, then I hit the mile one marker at 9:45. Whoa, that’s too fast. The course goes over a grassy area then over a dam. The grassy area was the hardest running. When I got to the dam I decided I needed to stretch out. I stretched my calves and tried to stretch my quads but each time I did my hamstrings would cramp up. I pressed on. I used a walk/run to get me to the first turn around 3.25 miles away. There I found a veritable smorgasbord of treats! Water! 2 cups, Heed! 1 cup, salt tabs! 2, a banana! yes please, a hammer jell! of course, Ice! that went really well in the hat, and one more cup of water. Refreshed and bummed that there was no after dinner mint I started running again. I checked my watch so I could calculate how much ground Jeremy had made up. I passed him 7:30 later, doubled it and came up with a 15 minute lead. What’s going on here? He’s a much better runner than me.
During this section I had a tail wind and used it. I made it to the halfway point in about 1:10. 6.55 miles to go. I walked a bit here and took an opportunity to rehydrate at an aid station. Again I had a tail wind and decided to use it to make up some time. When I passed Jeremy again I had opened up a 17-18 minute lead.
The wind had gotten so strong by now it was blowing the porta-johns over at the aid stations as well as the cups and jells. I made it back to the turn around in about 40 minutes. I ate more bananas, Jells, water and salt tabs and knew the last 3.25 miles were not going to be fun. I was hurting.
When I passed Jeremy the last time he was walking, he said he’d finish but couldn’t run anymore. I was at least 22 minutes ahead. As I turned right to go over the dam the wind was brutal. This was wind from hurricane Ike. I was leaning into it and taking small steps. At one point, while going over the dam, a gust blew me into the side rail. I decided I’d get to the finish by jogging 100 steps and walking for one minute. Joseph met me with about a quarter mile to go and ran in with me. The last 100 yards my calves were really cramping up. I’d try to jog but couldn’t. At one point I had to stop and massage them. I finally made it across the finish line in 6:31:08. A PR by almost 15 minutes.
As I crossed the finish line I threw my arms in the air and yelled “for the first time EVER, I beat my training partner, WHO-HOO!”

Run more. The wind was really bad though. Alot of people dropped out.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some food, changed clothes and waited for Jeremy to cross the finish line. Alice massaged my calves a little. One of the HFP workers came up to see if I was alright. He said this was the most brutal HIM I’d ever race, due to the wind.
When Jeremy crossed the announcer said “here comes Jeremy crossing the finish line, for the first time behind David!” Then I had to explain to Jeremy that I really didn’t put him up to that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind, not being completely recovered from my last HIM 3 weeks ago.

Event comments:

HFP did the best they could with what the day brought them. The volunteers were great. They could have more post race food though.

Last updated: 2008-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/183
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU wetsuit
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:59 | 56 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops of 18.65 miles each. Four notable hills on each loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:28 | 13.1 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Course: 2 out and back loops along park roads and over a grassy dam levy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: 2008 Toyota Challenge (Formerly Pineman)

2008-09-15 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1675703

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: 2008 Toyota Challenge (Formerly Pineman)

Hi, David!  That wind was SUCH a beast, wasn't it?  It was slowing me waaaay down and I do enough damage just by being slow already!  I can't believe it blew you into the side rail!!!  Thank God for the siderail, huh?

I also hated that grassy part of the run.  I kept on wobbling because of all the uneveness and it caused my ankles to hurt a little.

If you finished your swim in 41 minutes, then you definitely passed me on the swim - twice!    That was an awesome time!

Big, big, big congratulations to you on finishing before your friend and for having a great finish on your race.

2008-09-16 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Hello David.  I still haven't managed to bump into you.

Good job on the long day in the heavy duty wind.  You had to have winds up in the 30mph+ range by the time you finished the bike.  Not to mention the toll high winds take on the run too.

I tried to save you some food for post race (I ate one pretzel and one cookie).  My day finished by 10:15 so I can imagine what the hungry racers ate as the day went on.

Good job.  Maybe someday I'll do a long event.

2008-09-16 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Nice race report. I think headwinds are worse than hills! Sounds like you battled it well.

I see you did get a new bike after all. Glad you like it, but I have to disagree about the fairness of this...

I LOVE my new Cervelo P2C. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU to my wonderful wife of 10 years who bought it for me for our 10 year anniversry (I got her a new race belt, seems even ).

PS: wow, that was some fierce wind out there...click for weather history

Edited by keyone 2008-09-16 1:33 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Toyota Challenge (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed